Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old March 6th, 2007, 05:44 AM

Private

evan is on a distinguished road
Default long campaign unplayable

First let me say beautiful looking game; love it and after a quarter of a H2H game I'm sold.

BUT

I've been trying to play a long campaign and have run up against a couple of problems (remembering I am used to SPWAW).

1 No idea/indication where the enemy is other than the V hexes leading to
2 No way to amass anything close to a local superiority in anything that makes an attack anything like possible to succees.
3 LOS; damn it but the AI has a little man out measuring with a tape measure exactly where he can place units to be one hex outside LOS/range. Once in a while OK but all the time (well seems like it)
4. replacement points. With the problems above and getting a smattering of points to go on with I am faced with being able to use 2/3rds of my force in the next battle but; I assume the computer assumes that I am fielding book strength and as a side point does the computer ever have to field under strength units.

Lastly is the AI in winWW2 a lot different to SPWAW; it seems from what I've played to be. Not meaning to step on any toes but can somebody suggest what I'm doing wrong (other than losing too many troops)
Old March 6th, 2007, 05:17 PM

Private

hveldenz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: long campaign unplayable

I'll fire a few of my observations from my current Germany 1941 start long campaign:

1: Try spotter planes, and scouts. Look for smoke collections later. Advance key front units one hex at a time and turn to look several times each (yes it is tedious, but can help).
2: I have gotten local superiority on assaults, advances and meeting engagements by "loading" my deployment to north or south with approx. 70-75% of my forces, and use a detachment to screen the other side. I also will protect a flank with smoke. Especially on assaults. I have rolled up the south flank and wheeled north on a few battles much more effectively than I would have thought.
3: On LOS, remember that the computer can check 1000's of LOS's as a calculation where we have to do each one per unit manually. My AI seems to place a lot of units IN my LOS or range freqently. It still advances too recklessly in many meeting engagements.
4: Maybe I am lucky, but my casualties hav been relatively low, in that I am not using my whole point allotment each time just to rebuild. I actually had points to buy some mobile AA in my third battle to expand my core.

I have found AI artillery to be quite worthy and it causes many losses. I am developing a style of creeping advances in 2-3 turn spurts. Let the AI see some units collect. Move while they are in the 2 turn delay for artillery plotting reaction time. I think the AI ini WinSPWW2 is better than WinSPmbt which was better than SPWAW which was better than all the DOS SP versions. Currently, artillery seems tough and fair (although my 1941 opponents due stack up big battery/mortar numbers). Infantry in defense, and ATGs seem 'above average'. Luckily, the Soviet commissar likes charging his T-26s and BT-2s across the field of fire for my III-h's.
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:46 AM

Private

Thanks for the reply; I have tried spotter planes against the Poles (german 1939 start date) and for the first time I came across Poles with 40mm Bofors; they shot down my Stork. Previous; and here it may be a difference between SPWAW & winspww2 they only fielded light AA. Got me thinking about does the AI look at your force or am I simply being paranoid? fused

drifting slightly off topic though when was SABOT ammunition developed for tank guns; those Polish 7TP's firing 37mm SABOT are making a mess of my PIIIb's.
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:35 AM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
evan said:
Not meaning to step on any toes but can somebody suggest what I'm doing wrong (other than losing too many troops)
Well, in a way I think you've already answered your own question there - but I would say play more; building your own experience is the key. I think you'll find that the AI is not quite such an impossible opponent, though it is much more advanced than what I suspect you are used to from other SP games.

It would be interesting to know the settings you use for your campaign - map size, core etc...
Old March 7th, 2007, 07:31 AM

Sergeant

pdoktar is on a distinguished road

SABOT is considered here merely as special armor-piercing round not only sabot, so the polish 37mm have two kinds of AP rounds, other better at penetration.

And always concentrate your forces to hold key map points or attack those key points of resistance or geography. Eliminate resistance at one point and break through. In real life pincer movements and flanking usually gives best results in an attack. Don´t spread your forces, like the french did in WW2.
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Sergeant

desh44 is on a distinguished road

One other thing is to make sure you are playing on a large enough map for the force you field so you have room for your force to move around. I am playing 2 separate campaigns, German and Russian respectively. The points with builds at this time are about 5000 points (I started with 2500 points) and have expanded and increased the force with experience). I am using the equivalent of a reinforced Battalion and am playing on a 90x80 map which allows me to push through at a single point and send smaller units to pin down the enemy forces.
Old March 7th, 2007, 07:43 PM

Private

hveldenz is on a distinguished road

I have learned to keep my Storch's away from the backfield until I have suppressed the AA. They are still useful for looking at the front. AA seems to not fire on them much over 700 yards or so (depending on the AA).
Old March 8th, 2007, 03:51 AM

Private

Quote:
It would be interesting to know the settings you use for your campaign - map size, core etc.
Default settings; so 80 x 80 map; 3000 point core.
Old March 8th, 2007, 03:59 AM

Private

Thanks folks; wulfir's point is well taken and I shall admit that poor leadership of my virtual army is part of the problem; thank for pointing out the obvious in such a tackful way.
Old March 8th, 2007, 09:19 AM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
evan said:
Default settings; so 80 x 80 map; 3000 point core.
If you increase the size of the map..., say 110x110..., you'll have more space to manouver, slightly easier to get "local superiority"..., you could also increase the number of turns during battles to give you more time...