Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old April 14th, 2007, 08:13 AM

Private

evan is on a distinguished road
Default how much artillery

Well I started a 2nd long campaign; again German vs the rest of the world and set off to invade Poland. The second battle into this I had a defend mission and got to play with mines; love those Polish Armoured Car that charge straight down the road without a care in the world untill BANG.

By the end of the battle I had been decimated through heavy artillery fire; why? Heres the count that was fielded against me.
75mm howitzers 28
100mm FG bty 8
75mm FG BTY 4
155 How Bty 2

A bit painfull to be on the recieving end of that lot and all that Polish infantry as well; Any suggestions for me people?
Old April 14th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Corporal

dlazov is on a distinguished road
Default Re: how much artillery

Arty is a *****. Depending on your Core Forces the AI will adjust up/down and buy accordingly. Sounds like your deployment may have cost some as well. I am in a long 43-45 Campaign on my 7th battle. My core is about 4005 and I have been on the Eastern front for all 7. Right now my center Rifle Company is getting slammed by at least 3 batteries of 122mm. Nothing to do but try to get out of it or wait it out. I used in one of my advances I think 1 module of 170, 2 of 150 and 4 of 105's it crushed the Soviets and my core just mopped up.

Polish forces are dirt cheap and sounds like the AI decided to use lots of Arty for his assault. Also if you setup right in or near the VH the AI will pound those hexes so you need to defend accordingly.

Best of luck
Old April 14th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Sergeant

desh44 is on a distinguished road

Its always a good idea to have at least 3 batteries of off board arty in your core force. Am doing 4 long campaigns at the moment and at the first opportunity added this. It pays off later. As they gain experience they are great at counter battery work. I am a firm believer in as much arty as possible. Am in the early stages of the German campaign. Finished 4 battles in Poland and got a river crossing as the first battle in France. Talk about tough ones. Have lost of points to spend but am facing some real tough defenses along the entire river. The enemy has 4 batteries off board 2 75's and 2 105's For my part I have a core of 3 150 batteries and have 3 of 210's and 3 of 150's as support. Good luck on your campaigns. Look forward to hearing some AAR's I will post a AAR on this one when I finish the battle.

Tom
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:11 AM

Private

evan is on a distinguished road

Desh; many thanks after some ill fated battles it's back to square one for my long campaign and your suggestion of core OB artillery is having instant success.

thanks
Old April 29th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Sergeant

desh44 is on a distinguished road

One other thing which you might find helps in the long campaign. Try using either cavalry or motorcycle troops(at least 2 platoons worth. I use them in the opening stages to scout and grab objectives or set up ambushes in towns and woods. once contact is made I either pull them back to form a reserve to use on breakthroughs or if I find a hole in the line send them as deep strike troops to ferret out the enemy artillery. When using them as a reserve hold them until the enemy is breaking and then use them as pursuit troops against routing troops. A friend of mine an I are doing a joint long campaign where we each picked a core force and set up a battle plan and each is tasked with accomplishing their objectives. I have a slightly larger scout force which includes 2 motorcycle platoons and more scouts and snipers. He opted for a slightly larger number of tanks. Our armor units are performing about the same with his a slight bit ahead of mine on number of kills but my motorcycles units are way ahead in experience and kills. We just finished our 4th battle in Poland and are moving on into France and my cycle units which have survived have accumulated a total of 73 kills. Of this 1 squad has 28 and another 22 kills. I takes a lots of finesse to keep them alive but they can be really deadly if used correctly.

Good luck
Tom
Old April 29th, 2007, 01:54 PM

Corporal

Default Switch to Basic Formation ->

Good tips Desh44!

I have found lately, (after turning up the AI to be stronger) that if you keep your infantry together, supported with tanks in overwatch with scouts out in front and moving at a slow pace you can easily defeat the AI or "trick" the AI into traps.

This is much harder against an "unwilling" non-AI opponent that is attempting same on you.

If however, you "charge" full speed ahead one unit at a time, your "core" forces will surely disappear over time and be completely useless replacements.

So what I tend to do is the following, using an A0, 1 Inf Platoon (4 squads) with one ATR section, 2 Tanks, and 2 scouts as a basic example:

A0 HQ
B0 Inf (HQ|LT)
B1 Squad 1
B2 Squad 2
B3 Squad 3
B4 ATR
C0 Tank 1 (HQ)
C1 Tank 2
D0 Scout 1 (HQ)
D1 Scout 2

Basic advancing formation:

C1 B1 D0
A0 B4 B2
C0 B3 D1

Make sense?
Old April 29th, 2007, 02:05 PM

Corporal

Default Re: Switch to Basic Formation ->

Okay I have an image but not sure how to upload it here?

bummer
Old April 29th, 2007, 02:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,439 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

When you are offered the chance to review your post there is a line that lets you create an attachment. Add the screen shot.

After the Attachment is uploaded click on it and when it appears copy the http://www etc etc etc that appears when it's loading. Exit that screen, click on EDIT and when your post appears click on the IMAGE box just below it under the heading "Instant UBB Code" and that will give you the opportunity to place a screen shot into the post that can be seen by everyone. Use a JPG or PNG. They're smaller than BMP's

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Corporal

Test One, okay, I see a check box that I had not checked before called "I want to preview my post and/or attach a file", bug-a-boo.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 516458-AssltFrm01.GIF (49.8 KB, 104 views)
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Corporal

Thanks DRG for the fine tips!

Thats a very basic scrunched formation you see they, but as you can see they are all supporting one another. the only draw back to that formation above if if arty pounds, you, but I was trying to make a point with it.

Now I know how to post screen shots, watch out!