.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:12 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why such a high price?

Quote:
Originally posted by cpbeller:
good idea for MP games....
...as long as it doesn't lead to everybody playing with 11 Dominion Oracles and Manticores...

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:14 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

If you set victory condition to 8 out of 17 home provinces there is no need for 11 dom Oracles.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:24 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Potatoman:
Shadow Magic may lack an "epic" feel, but it has quite a bit going for it. A decent user interface, a minimum of micromanagement, and easily decipherable game mechanics readily come to mind. I've played the Dominions demo for quite some time now (I didn't buy the full Version because my friends weren't interested in playing hotseat) and I myself still don't know exactly the effect of, for instance, a weapon reach of 3 compared to a similiar weapon of reach 2. Does it give you an attack bonus? A defense penalty? Just the ability to stay beyond the range of Abysian/summoned heat/cold auras? It's frustrating because there are dozens of small game mechanics that are not explained (or even hinted at) in any manual, fansite or in-game help bar. AGRh.

The upshot is that, of course, with so many mechanics the game itself is quite complex and strategically deep. There is more stuff in Dom I (sheer volume of units and spells)than any other tbs that I have ever played; it may not look pretty, or be useful, or you may not even know what it does, but it's still there and you may use it if you want to. That's what makes it an outstanding, though imperfect, game IMO.
Right-click a unit ability to see a long description of how it works.

The manual (I think is where I saw it) does mention that reach is used to attack from further away, and also gives a defensive attack as an enemy closes in from outside your reach.

Personally, I much prefer Dom I to AOW2. AOW2 was fun for a bit, but it only took half a game for me to figure out all the systems and realize they were almost all rather generic and simple and that they didn't appeal much at all to my tastes. The AI didn't seem to be very interesting or challenging. I didn't like the combat mechanics. Or the stacking limits. Or the economics. Or the research. I got bored with those kinds of simplified systems back in Master of Magic. I'm sure there are players who will enjoy AOW2 and not appreciate Dominions, but that's the way all games are - everyone likes and dislikes different things about each game. To me though, Doms is worth the $35 for Dom I and $45 for Dom II even within a few months of each other. To me, AOW2 is worth maybe $5-10, and then only really to help a novice get into the genre.

PvK
Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:28 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristoffer O:
If you set victory condition to 8 out of 17 home provinces there is no need for 11 dom Oracles.
Right. But they will help you to accomplish your taks...

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:33 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerfix:
quote:
Originally posted by Kristoffer O:
Right. But they will help you to accomplish your taks...
Well obviously the VCs will help determine what kind of pretender makes the most sense. If you have to conquer then maybe the high dom isn't worth as much as if the VC is lots of dom. If you can have multiple VCs activated then it would get even more fun I'd guess.

There's probably some tweeking that will need to happen with the VCs anyway. However, in a MP game it should be easy enough to agree to some limits or house rules, and in an SP game... well what do you care how anyone else wants to abuse the system?

Some cheese needs to be taken care of, but sometimes its better/easier just to let the players sort things out for themselves.

[ September 22, 2003, 19:33: Message edited by: licker ]
Old September 22nd, 2003, 08:16 PM

BANNED USER

Mortifer is on a distinguished road

Ok guys stop bashing AoW please...if we would bring this topic to the AoW Boards, the players there would bash Dominions badly...This is all about what you like, what you dont like. Period.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 08:32 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Mortifer:
Ok guys stop bashing AoW please...if we would bring this topic to the AoW Boards, the players there would bash Dominions badly...This is all about what you like, what you dont like. Period.
Heh, there is a Dominions thread on the AoW board (at least the heavengames one), and its not getting bashed at all, quite a few people genuinly interested in learning more about Dom. Besides the AoW 'bashing' going on here is really pretty tame. Heck I like both games, just pointing out some flaws in the AoW design that I've pointed out on the AoW Boards as well.

I do think that Dom and Aow are geared differently though, some people won't like one or the other, but most people will find things about both that they do like.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 08:58 PM

BANNED USER

Uhm I asked lot of AoW players, and they didnt even heard about Dom......as for your opinions..I respect all, but I do not agree.
I never bored by AoW single or multiplayer just like other thousands of AoW fans...
Once again, we are subjective, I like this, you dont. Nothing special..
Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:11 PM

Sergeant

LordArioch is on a distinguished road

I think AoW is a perfectly acceptable game, but it seems to me like a prettier, less complex Version of Master of Magic. The AI is better in AoW as is the balance, but not by enough to be more fun because it lost the epic magic feel. MoM had better building choices, more flavorful units, etc. Keep in mind AoW has 45 different units that are really different pictures on one of 3 basic units that are for the most part identical. A human swordsman = an orc swordsmen and a orc cavalry = a human cavalry. I dont fully know why, the whole game just feels bland and repetive so I can only do a few turns before i get bored.

The thread that turned into one on dominions at the AoW forums is here: http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/f...=29,3513,30,60

And if dominions got bashed on the AoW forums it would be by people that dont know what it is as you said...here we have people who played AoW pointing out why they didn't like it. There's a difference.
Also note that if thousands of AoW fans learned of dominions 2 (through a demo! ) I bet there'd be a lot less AoW fans and a lot more dominions fans. Or at least a few...10 maybe

[ September 22, 2003, 21:12: Message edited by: LordArioch ]
Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:28 PM

BANNED USER

Hopefully!
I mean Dominions II. will be really unique on the market, and I hope that it will be very successful. I think we can mod it, and thats an awesome starting point as well!
I cant wait to start working on my mod.