World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old June 4th, 2006, 12:02 AM

Private

groszdix is on a distinguished road
Default Delay in full screen mode

Question:

When running WinSPWW2 in the full screen mode I get a noticeable delay when clicking on the menu buttons or when right clicking to display unit info. This does not happen in the windowed mode (runs fine here) and is unaffected by changing graphics display. Does this happen with anyone else? Solutions?

Thanks,

Groszdix
Old June 4th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Delay in full screen mode

Knowing a bit about your system and what else might be running in the background would be helpful. Are you using the latest version of DirectX ? Have you tried switching from DirectX to GDI in gameoptions?

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old June 4th, 2006, 03:35 PM

Private

Running Windows 98 (I won't feel bad if you laugh at this point), nothing running in the background. In the windowed mode there is no delay, but in both GDI and DirectX (version 9 at least) there is a delay in full screen mode.

Thanks
Old June 4th, 2006, 05:51 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

How much memory? I'm running WinME ( so much the same thing ) and I don't have a problem at all . My system only has 128mb or RAM

There is more to draw in full screen. Have you tried to adjust the graphics delay or any of the other delay numbers in GameOptions ( Misc tab ) ??

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old June 4th, 2006, 06:42 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

There will be no GDI mode, as full screen is DirectX only. GDI mode is only available in windowed mode, and is there more for folks tryign to run the game in say Linux who may not have DirectX emulation.

As Don says - try adjusting your options settings.

Otherwise - try adjusting your DirectX settings on your PC. And check also that your graphics card has the required min 32Mb video RAM as specified for the game (real video RAM and not shared video as that is slower and robs from your main windows RAM - and windows is very RAM hungry!).

Cheers
Andy
Old June 5th, 2006, 04:04 PM

Private

Don and Andy,

Thanks for the feedback. My PC has a good chunk of RAM so I will try adjusting settings and check my card.

Thanks,

groszdix
Old June 20th, 2006, 04:44 PM

Private

Patu is on a distinguished road

I have exactly the same problem, with both WinSPWW2 and WinSPMBT. Actually I only now noticed that the lag only appears in full screen mode and not in windowed mode.

I have 2GHz A64, 1.5GB RAM and Radeon 9800 Pro (128MB RAM) and I run Windows XP, so the problem is software based. Please ask for any additional information you think might help track down this issue. I would love to play this game full screen without this terrible lag
Old June 20th, 2006, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Patu said:
I have exactly the same problem, with both WinSPWW2 and WinSPMBT. Actually I only now noticed that the lag only appears in full screen mode and not in windowed mode.

I have 2GHz A64, 1.5GB RAM and Radeon 9800 Pro (128MB RAM) and I run Windows XP, so the problem is software based. Please ask for any additional information you think might help track down this issue. I would love to play this game full screen without this terrible lag
Have you adjusted the settings on the Misc tab pof the GameOptions programme to set your machine up to your preferences, as described in the "tuning your machine" section pf the manual?. Note that you may need different settings for full screen and windowed mode.

Also note that we exposed 2 variables that had been in the INI file before on the GameOptions tab. Here is the description from the INI file:

[graphics]
; graphics timings

; minimum graph delay (in milliseconds) between frames
; set to 0 to pump out graphics as fast as your CPU can handle,
; try larger numbers to slow down very fast CPU/GFX cards

Graphdelay=40

;How much to wait per hex a unit moves (Milliseconds)
UnitMoveDelay=90

Cheers
Andy
Old June 20th, 2006, 06:39 PM

Private

Patu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mobhack said:
Have you adjusted the settings on the Misc tab pof the GameOptions programme to set your machine up to your preferences, as described in the "tuning your machine" section pf the manual?. Note that you may need different settings for full screen and windowed mode.

Yes, I have tried adjusting these settings with both MBT and WW2. It didn't help.

The problem is not with unit movement but checking unit information by right clicking on unit or opening "Unit info" window from the menu. In windowed mode both of these windows open up immediately, in full screen mode it takes 3 seconds to load.

Another problem is selecting units with mouse. Everything works nice as long as you go slow. But, for example in deployment phase, when you want to load lots of infantry to their halftracks, you need to go slow. I can't just keep on clicking units and L-button the way I used with SP1, SP2 and SP:WAW. I have to wait after every click for the game to keep in pace with me. It is very annoying.

Even more annoying this "lag" is while playing. I select an unit and click on map to tell the unit to "go there". The unit doesn't end up where I wanted it to be but to the location my mouse pointer was ½ second after I clicked.

I am ready to give you any extra information you may need to track this down. And sorry about my bad English
Old June 20th, 2006, 06:54 PM

And on the development machine, which is a 3Ghz P4 with 1GB RAM and a 128MB Radeon X300SE video card, I have none of these difficulties in full screen mode.

Since full screenis in DirextX, I would look into your video card's DirectX settings. (Mine are stock, but you may have changed something perhaps?). Look at both for the card (proprties - > advanced -> Direct* tabs on the ATI screen)and if you have the DirectX utility, look there too (Control Panel->DirectX).

Also - ensure you have hardware acceleration turned on or you will get DirectX software emulation and not the direct hardware acceleration. (Right click on display, Advanced button, Troubleshoot tab, ensure the slider is fully to the right)

Cheers
Andy