.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old November 16th, 2005, 04:33 PM

Corporal

Beeg is on a distinguished road
Default New WW2 type scenario \"Wiking\'s Castle\"

This is another scenario using the WW2 era units and weapons found in WinSPMBT. I used "The Wiking's Castle" scenario by CB Blackard in SPWW2 as the basis, since I really enjoyed playing it and it provides a good platform for late WW2 goodies.

The following is from the scenario description...

The Wiking's Castle

Date: January, 1945 (1946 in WinSPMBT)

Battle Type: SS Wiking defend vs. Romanian assault

Design: Beeg (with credit to CB Blackard's original scenario)

Should be played as Wiking (human) vs. Romanian AI

This scenario is one of my favorite SPWW2 battles - "Wiking's Castle" by CB Blackard - which I've reworked for WinSPMBT. This version is 'semi' historical - there was an actual battle between the Norge Regiment of the Wiking SS Division and Soviet forces outside Bicske, Hungary (near Budapest) in January, 1945. Many of the units represented are for playability, not necessarily historical. The arms used (especially by Wiking) are realistic to this period of WW2.

Your mission is to weather the onslaught and hold the castle for one more day.

Game notes:

Romania, newly allied with the Soviet Union, spearheads the attack, supported by strong Soviet forces. The defending forces are a mix of European SS volunteers (Wiking) and remnants of Hungarian 1st Tank. Nearly all are understrength.

The Wiking side is depicted by Finland, in order to have gray uniforms.

One of the defending units represents the fanatical facist Hungarian Arrow Cross.

For a better feel for the mixture of Wiking nationalities, play with ID tags on.

Battle Description (from CB Blackard's original scenario): On Christmas Day 1944, the IV SS Panzer Corps received word that it was being transferred to Hungary in order to begin an offensive aimed at relieving the IX SS Mountain Corps encircled at Budapest. The attack began on January 1, 1945 near Komarom and the Wiking was able to make slow progress toward the southeast, breaking through the Soviet 31 Guards Rifle Division. Outside of the town of Bicske, however, the Soviet defenses stiffened and the attack ground to a halt.

The Panzer Grenadier Battalion Norge led by Fritz Vogt and the Panzer Regiment led by Ostuf. Darges were forced to seek refuge in an old Hungarian castle which the Soviets attacked mercilessly for an entire day and night. Exhausted and nearly out of ammunition, the Wiking troops withstood the Soviet attacks but were forced to withdraw. Despite two more attempts at relieving Budapest, the IX SS Mountain Corps could not be saved.

Source: Strassner, "European Volunteers"; "Panzergrenadiere der Panzerdivision 'Wiking'"

Background: In early January 1945 I./Norge and Wiking redeployed to Hungary to attempt to relieve the siege of Budapest. I./Norge fought with Wiking's armored group alongside Fritz Darges' SS-Panzer Regiment 5 during Operation Konrad I. The Norwegians were with this group when it was surrounded at the Bicske fortress on January 6. They suffered heavy casualties again during the defense and successful breakout on January 12. Darges received the Knight's Cross, and Fritz Vogt the Oakleaves to his Knight's Cross for this fight.

Source: Norwegian Volunteers in the German Wehrmacht in WWII by Marc Rikmenspoel and Jason Pipes
Attached Files
File Type: zip 392961-Spscn179.zip (60.3 KB, 328 views)
Old November 17th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Corporal

Beeg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New WW2 type scenario \"Wiking\'s Castle\"

Made a mistake in the first upload (player #2 should be Romania, not Russia). Here's the fixed version.

Beeg
Attached Files
File Type: zip 393032-Spscn179.zip (60.3 KB, 221 views)