.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 31st, 2007, 06:40 PM

Captain

Evilhomer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Void Summoning Question

nope
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:45 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

Quote:
vfb said:
Thanks for the tips.

I can't remember the last game I played that wasn't Turmoil 3 Luck 3 .

Ooh, I want a Vastness. It should be Gift-of-Reason-able, right? So far my best summon has been a Greater Otherness.

LA Rlyeh is fun! My Mad Cultist just found 2 temples of the deep, and I didn't even ask him to look for them.
They are not that great when you GOR them. They don't have any slots. They look really cool in your commanders box though.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:55 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

They don't have any slots, but they *do* start with Astral 3 when you GOR them. If you've got a ton of gems lying around, you might want to consider empowering them a bit.

I had a truly EPIC battle in the Arena between my empowered prophet Vastness and a Pretender Wyrm with around 300 hp, tons of magic, and massive regeneration, who just happened to be my worst enemy at the time. After half an hour the Wyrm finally did defeat my Vastness, but at the cost of horrormarking and 3 afflictions. The Pretender bit the dust in the very next fight.

I was sorry to lose such a cool Prophet, but he sure went out with a bang.
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:25 PM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a fun plan! But I've still been unable to get a Vastness out of the void gate. It's turn 30 already. Does the dominion level have an effect? I only have Dom 5 on my capital.

I won't mind losing a prophet, I've got lots . But it seems only the 'real' prophet spreads dominion by merely existing, all my other prophets have to preach. Is that right? Conversion Rates showed "Prophet 0" when my real prophet died, even though I had 4 or 5 crazy prophets wandering around.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:57 PM

General

I really hope the Devs expand the Void Gate concept, both in the variety of units in it's current incarnation (which is excellent, but more, weirder, and rarer in this case is better-especially if we could see some new, powerful and strange, but specialized units for the long game), and as a type of special location in the game as a whole.

It really appeals to me.
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:20 PM

General

I haven't gotten bored of the void gate yet, but it's the first LA Rlyeh game I've played.

I really dig the summoning sites too. It would be nice if they worked like the void gate. It would be extra fun if my death mage popped into one to go grab a bane or whatever, and was randomly attacked like the void gate does. Maybe in Dom 4? Then all nations could enjoy the suspense that Rlyeh gets!
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:31 AM

General

Default Lost in Time and Space

I had no idea that commanders who got "Lost in Time and Space" could come back (with more astral magic, but less sanity). I thought they were gone forever.

It would have helped if he'd come back to a province Rlyeh owned though.

So, I think the best plan may be to depend on bodyguards to overcome accidents at the void gate, but script returning so that when the Starspawn comes back from time and space, into a hostile province, he can follow the script and bail. Have to load up on pearls just in case the Starspawn chews through a bunch in the battle though.
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:38 AM

General

Default Re: Lost in Time and Space

I'm not tired of it either, but once you've played a game to the 240th turn, I could see wanting more out of the VoidGate beyond Vastnesses. Vastnesses are awesome, don't get me wrong, but in a very long game I think, in the greater eventuality, you should get some Pretender-quality summons from it.
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:44 AM

Corporal

Humer is on a distinguished road

IIRC from previous Void Gate threads, two things are suggested having an effect on Gate summonings:

1) Summoning skill. Basically the higher, the better (and more likely) summons. But you no longer get Vastnesses from Gate once your summoning skills gets too high. Quantity (and quality of Otherness) will improve, though.

2) Luck scale. Higher the better.

Wouldn't be surprised if some items provided bonuses for Gate users (Lucky pendant and Nethgul come first to mind). Or summoner's skill in astral magic.

As said earlier in this thread, exact Gate mechanics have never been revealed, so I'd hazard a guess that 'retiring' your dedicated summoner and replacing her with a new recruit could result in more Vastnesses (eventually, if you're lucky), once your summoners skill hits the 'magic range'.
Old June 1st, 2007, 10:38 AM

Sergeant

Psientist is on a distinguished road

Has anyone else ever observed their Void Gate "drying up" somewhere around turn 80-100? It has seemed to happen to me a couple of times.