.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

View Poll Results: Should mage be allowed to cast another spell if Returning is scripted?
Yes 12 30.00%
No 28 70.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 20th, 2008, 02:11 PM

First Lieutenant

Agema is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Should returning be overridden at all?

One of the most compelling reasons that Returning should be capable of being overridden is that (to my knowledge) no other spell is immune to overriding. Also, it's no more or less "faulty" than all sorts of other AI decisions, whether ill-advisedly following a script, ill-advisedly breaking it, or just extra-script casting, any of which may devastate a battle plan or otherwise cause ruin.

Taking into account the AI's foibles is a dimension that has to be learnt along with everything else.
Old August 20th, 2008, 02:35 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

No, but some spells are prevented from being cast without scripting. This is really just the reverse.

Saying, "the AI makes bad decisions, live with it", is not a good argument against improving it where it can be improved, even if it'll still make other bad decisions.
Old August 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

If I script Returning it usually means I have a really good reason for it. And I'd be more happy with it working against a scout than not working against teleporting in S9 Magic Dueling Statue.
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:03 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road

Yes, I absolutely agree. Let it be working always but not "sometimes".
And the worst thing with it is that it is nearly unpredictable when it works or not

Sadly, this thread seems to have no point because I really wanted this to be changed but as eight people (two of ten made a mistake) and one of the devs among them say it is fine, probably, there's nearly no chance of this being changed.

OTOH this problem seems to be rather popular and 26 people of 34 voters say it should not work this way. Maybe, it is enough to at least hope for something?

Last edited by ano; August 20th, 2008 at 04:07 PM..
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:38 PM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

ano there are reasons why the returning and scripting in general operates this way.

I believe in previous dominion versions alot of players moaned/complained about constantly wasting gems because there scripting was followed big spells were cast when they faced a small opposing force. Obviously in MP, players used to take advantage of this, hit them with a small force, via teleport/cloud trapeze, trigger the big spells in the magic phase. Then smash there army in the combat phase when they have no gems to cast there big spells. Even a hidden scout following your army does not help in this scenario.

Also, if returning is 100% then the astral golem increases vastly in power as there are fewer counters to it. So it would after be nerfed if returning was made 100% effective. It has been well known for along time that the astral golem's big vulnerability is magic duel and thus has to be used with due care.

Last edited by Meglobob; August 20th, 2008 at 04:41 PM..
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:44 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road

Astral golem is not that ultimate SC and maybe even not sc at all. It is rather vulnerable in fact even to good troops. And it is no better than well equipped sneaking raiding thugs who ruin your day. These guys also can hardly be dealt with and no one says it is bad.
As for AI algorithm, I think it is just fine because I was one of those people who liked leaving the whole enemy army without gems with a sudden magical attack (Call of the Winds the most often) in Dom PPP. It was a common tactic those days.
And as you could see, I'm not arguing about AI algorithm in general, just about one spell (or two, taking VoR into account) which is indeed very different from any other.
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

konming is on a distinguished road

I guess since there is a "AI do not cast" spell list, it is logical to have "AI do not overide" list. And if you really like unpredictability, I suppose we can have troops randomly ignore orders (like mages charge into front 1/10 of the time). That surely would spice things up.
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:56 PM

Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by konming View Post
(like mages charge into front 1/10 of the time). That surely would spice things up.
I have actually already had this in Darwins Zorro! So it already exists in the game. It has to do with casting quickness. Wether its a bug or not I do not know. Probably start a thread when I have more time to discuss it.
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

konming is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglobob View Post
Quote:
(like mages charge into front 1/10 of the time). That surely would spice things up.
I have actually already had this in Darwins Zorro! So it already exists in the game. It has to do with casting quickness. Wether its a bug or not I do not know. Probably start a thread when I have more time to discuss it.
I think this means a mage has no more spell to cast and decides to "stay behind troops". If you give it "cast spells" order, I have never seen a mage move.
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:35 PM

Major General

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglobob View Post
Quote:
I think this means a mage has no more spell to cast and decides to "stay behind troops". If you give it "cast spells" order, I have never seen a mage move.
No, my 6 mages where firing piercers, scripting went:-

Squad 1.

Mage 1 :- Aim, Quicken Self, Hold/Firex3, Fire&Flee3turns.
Mage 2 :- Quicken Self, Hold/Firex4, Fire&Flee3turns.
Mage 3 :- Quicken Self, Hold/Firex4, Fire&Flee3turns.

Squad 2.
Same.

In theory I should have had 6 14AN range 50 missile attacks with 25'ish precision every round. Which I did. But instead of holding still at the back of the battlefield, they had, 'suicidal creep', which means after firing walk a few squares forward. They continue to do it until they meet enemy troops and get killed. They do not even try to stay behind my troops.

Obviously, this makes such a strategy with any bow/crossbow weapon useless.