.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old May 19th, 2004, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Wish List

Quote:
Originally posted by Graeme Dice:
Abysia doesn't really need anything else, they have all the aspects they need for a powerful nation.
I'd have to agree with Graeme that Abysia has all they need to be a powerful nation and are so. Salamanders are not that great, and don't seem to serve a real function. And perhaps they could be adjusted in order to have some sort of different use instead of a fragile, high priced, nearly never recruited cavalry.

But it isn't anywhere near a priority for balance. Abysia is just fine IMO.
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:30 AM

Captain

Chazar is on a distinguished road

I'd enjoy a switch to set the tactical display to the target destination:

I often start my attacks/defense from different regions, and it is very difficult to set up all troops so that they cooperate well. Therefore it would be nice if a units tactical setup would not show the troops which are currently in the same region of the unit, but all units that remain or are currently ordered to move into the destination region of a unit.

I know that troops might get intercepted by the enemy, but usually my troops fight all together as I planned, and defending does always succeed due to the move evaluation order. So I think that this would really simplify things for me. Currently I use a non-permanent marker on the screen to coordinate my attacks, but this is kinda unconvenient...
Old May 20th, 2004, 12:52 AM

Private

Aetius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Graeme Dice:
quote:
Originally posted by Aetius:
As part of a wish list I would like to see a new unit for Abyssia, the salamander rider. Abyssia really suffers, in my opinion, from the combination of no archers, no cavalry, and all heavy infantry.
Archers are okay, but quickly become mostly useless. Abysia can get as many shortbow archers as they could ever want just from independent provinces. They really don't need cavalry, since they have devils.

[quote]One of Abyssia's better units is the salamander, however these tend to have poor morale and break easily.[/QUOTE}

They are also severely overpriced, extremely fragile, and become fatigued too quickly.

Quote:
Any thoughts? Unbalanced? Or just the cure for Abyssia?
Abysia doesn't really need anything else, they have all the aspects they need for a powerful nation.

I did solicit opinions and thoughts, yours are noted, clearly we are at a point of disagreement. However, you did not address my remark regarding the AI and Abyssia. From my own eperiences I have yet to see an AI Abyssia rampaging with large numbers of devils, devils being your proposed substitute for cavalry. Even playing Abyssia I have yet to get a powerful blood magic economy, but perhaps this is more a function of my inexperience with playing this nation and blood magic in general.

I am more of the Gandalf Parker school of thought and there are no useless units or summons. I have found that if placed correctly salamanders can provide a devasting attack to open up the ranks of oppossing heavy cavalry or heavy infantry. My only problem is their low morale.

The only problem with independent archers or any independents for that matter and Abyssia is the heat generation. If you do not micromanage, or if you are careless you will end up roasting your own independents, this is particularly frustrating with blood slaves.
Old May 20th, 2004, 01:12 AM

The use of Devils for Abysia in the stance of AI is not a balance issue at all, but an AI issue.

Quote:
I did solicit opinions and thoughts, yours are noted, clearly we are at a point of disagreement. However, you did not address my remark regarding the AI and Abyssia. From my own eperiences I have yet to see an AI Abyssia rampaging with large numbers of devils, devils being your proposed substitute for cavalry. Even playing Abyssia I have yet to get a powerful blood magic economy, but perhaps this is more a function of my inexperience with playing this nation and blood magic in general.
I feel this may be your inexperience with the nation. Blood and the economy around it are a more subtle aspect than some of the more visible gem economy. Abysia has a somewhat difficult decision in the fact that their troops are so expensive while blood does take a portion of economy, but this is true with almost any blood nation. Abysia just happens to be the one it is most visible because of the high caliber of their troops making them expensive.

Quote:
The only problem with independent archers or any independents for that matter and Abyssia is the heat generation. If you do not micromanage, or if you are careless you will end up roasting your own independents, this is particularly frustrating with blood slaves.
This is true of quite a few nations (I.E. Incompatability and having to micromanage in order to be successful). I don't feel balance should be considered for the "careless" or those particular reasons. Dom2 is not idiot friendly in any of it's game mechanics, why change it so that it is with one nation which will in turn make it extremely powerful.
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:04 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Aetius:
However, you did not address my remark regarding the AI and Abyssia. From my own eperiences I have yet to see an AI Abyssia rampaging with large numbers of devils, devils being your proposed substitute for cavalry. Even playing Abyssia I have yet to get a powerful blood magic economy, but perhaps this is more a function of my inexperience with playing this nation and blood magic in general.
I haven't managed a blood economy even with Mictlan but let me assure you, I've just had a human Abysia opponent overwhelming my Vanheim with devils, primarily. I'd have to agree that Abysia doesn't really need cavalry. Unless their blood magic is taken away. (hopeful smile)

Yeh, it's kind of understandable with the independent troops, imo, but having the blood slaves all get frozen or burned up by the mages who in theory intend to use them is ... insane.

But then, that's why we have great Artificial Insanity in Dom2.