World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old May 5th, 2007, 08:25 PM

Private

zerowithwings is on a distinguished road
Default Help please - Infantry icons going invisible

Hello all,

Recently, I have adjusted the infantry icons for personal use. Basically, I've copied over the new SPWAW icons into the format required for SPWW2 using the SHP Editor. The British and Soviets use the same tileset in SPWW2, and this is appropriate. I experience no problems with the tileset for infantry when in use for the USSR. However, when the British, or Canadians or Free French are on the field (have not experimented with others), the icons do not work appropriately. Namely, squads of 9-10 men display as 12, and squads of less than that go invisible until they reach 4 men, I think. In deployment, the HQ shows invisible, until the number of men is adjusted. I think sometimes at lower numbers around 7 they sometimes show as 12 men.

Anyways, I gather the problem is in how the British OOB handles infantry icons, but I looked in it and couldn't figure out what the problem is. I've determined, insofar as I can tell, that this is not a problem with the SHP, since the icons work just fine for the Soviets.

Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated. I have attached the SHP in question should it be of use.

Thanks,

ZWW
Attached Files
File Type: zip 518531-Icon0012.shp.zip (17.3 KB, 125 views)
Old May 6th, 2007, 02:05 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help please - Infantry icons going invisible

Quote:
Basically, I've copied over the new SPWAW icons
Well -this game is not SPWAW. So copying their game assets into our game is not a bright idea (or vice-versa). Especially as we have modified the original SSI infantry icons, original SSI unit icons, map formats, OOB formats and so on and so forth. And quite likely the matrix SPWAW guys have done the same with their SP-3 based game engine too.

You will need to replace the original icons.

Cheers
Andy
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:53 PM

Private

zerowithwings is on a distinguished road

I didn't copy over the SPWAW shps as is. Rather, I extracted the bitmaps from the SPWAW shp and placed it into the new SHP in the same numerical order as in the SPWW2 shps, according to the instructions in the SHPedit help file. The order is, nothing in image 1, 1 man in image 2, 2 men in image 3 and so on. . . This works just fine with the grey icons (Germans/Icon0010.shp) and with the brown icons (Icon0020.shp) when used by Soviets, but not when used by other countries.
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:25 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Try asking in the matrix SPWAW groups, as these are matrix game's infantry SHP files. Their designers may have done something or other in the SHP format that differs from ours. That may also be the best place to ask about any copyright issues involved in using the files in the first place...

Andy
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,443 Times in 2,699 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

First off are you aware SPWW2 uses 19 men as the max ?? Did you not notice that when you changed the SHP files? All sets should be done equally and you will find that your WAW Icons will not all fit in the space allowed ( and I am NOT encouraging anyone to use anything found in WaW in our games and vice versa. We do NOT support this in any way )

Where did you come up with the info that "The British and Soviets use the same tileset in SPWW2" ??? NO they most certainly do not. The British, or Canadians or Free French ( or USA or USMC or Polish or Hungary or Rumania or Greece or Norway or Netherlands ) use Icon0011 ( green infantry ) Russia uses Icon0012 ( brown infantry ). Maybe you should look at what you have done to Icon0011 instead.

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:22 AM

Corporal

dlazov is on a distinguished road

Just a note, some of the WAW players already done that, meaning they made a mod of WAW and "borrowed" (or stole) SPWW2 graphics. But both games are not compatible as DRG has said.

I don't know why anyone would use the WAW graphics they actually suck, and the stolen ones are just that, ugly and copied/stolen.

just my thoughts.