.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old May 16th, 2009, 05:07 PM

First Lieutenant

calmon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chronicles MA

Thanks for all your sympathy!

I'm frustrated about the fact that people tend either to lead an alliance against whatever with argmuents based on more or less honorful official objectives but always with the own goals in mind OR the second group just follow such calls again and again blind to see they are used or just accept this fact.

Count me to the third group. I normally don't ally with others because i know i've to betray them at one point of the game. Dominions is a game of single pretenders with the goal "to ascend to true godhood using all the power at your disposal".

So i would wish more people in my group but it seems it tend to be a game of ICQ, steady emails/PM and whatever to discuss defeating the next one which IS of course the new "Prime Eval" and needs all hands on deck.

However at least the last paragraph may less valid for this game, sorry . Also note i know that the initial objection of this game were different.

If nobody cares i set Ermor AI next turn. If someone interested in playing PM me. You're somehow doomed but i didn't use all diplomatic options...
Old May 17th, 2009, 01:33 AM

Captain

Jarkko is on a distinguished road

Dominions is the digital version of Survivor. Diplomacy is in my opinion a crucial part of the game, as it should IMO be in a MP game. I used to play quite a few "gunboat" Diplomacy games by mail in the late 80's because I too thought at the time it provides a better measure of game-skill. I later found out it was most likely because I did suck in the English language. I still don't think I am too silver-tongued (I have the bad tendency to get rash when I really truly want something ), but to me that is how MP games should be.

Then again, I suggest people to try gunboat games. Some do like them very much (talking about Diplomacy here, but most likely true for Dominions too), but most of those who I am aware of regard gunboat games something were you can try out new strategies in a fast game that will be soon over anyway. But as I said, some people seem to love them above all, so each to their own

For me this game and Heracles game are the first experiences with games using no statistics. I don't think no-stat games are my cup of tea, because it does seem diminish the fun of the game for me. There is no way to get a general glance at the map and know who you should go for. The top-dog is always the dangerous one, and it is in my opinion simply bad gameplay to *not* go after the leader (if you want to stay competitive right to the end, that is).
The Following User Says Thank You to Jarkko For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:14 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

What's a gunboat game?
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:40 AM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeast View Post
What's a gunboat game?
Ah, sorry. In Diplomacy (the game, that is) a Gunboat game is a game where there is no diplomacy and players don't know who plays which nation. So the only form of diplomacy is the good old gunboat diplomacy, ie smack your opponent(s) in their face and jump on their toes until the message goes through. Usually gunboat games allow the use of "press releases" (ie in the style of: "The King of Germany informs that any unit moving next to Silesia is viewed as a declaration of war." or "Austria informs everybody that she has no quarrels with Turkey, but Greece is and will stay under Austrian control."), but in the most strict versions of gunboat games not even those are allowed (ie you only communicate with the Game Master).

Ie pretty much the opposite of the "NAPs are binding or you shall be frowned upon" -policy which seems to be so widely in use on this forum for Dominions MP games, because there are no NAP's, no promises no nothing except brute force and clever use of your stomping abilities Then again, in Diplomacy the "stats" are always "on", because everybody can see the map and see who is heading for winning -> in gunboat games it is usually *very* risky to gain a lead initially, because everybody and their dog will jump on you (because there is no communication between the players, but one thing is sure: Nobody wants somebody else to gain a lead which can not be overcome).
Old May 17th, 2009, 11:54 AM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road

I guess I am admin again
I am going to postpone hosting 48 hours and see if we can find a sub for Ermor.
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:13 PM

Colonel

Also, Calmon, there is no alliance or allies or IRC planning that I am aware of in this game. Maybe that was the case in Arti but here I think its just a case of sharks smelling blood in the water. Sorry to see you go.
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:25 AM

Captain

I'll be traveling from June 3rd to June 17th. I *should* have access to the internet June 7th to June 12th. Thus I will not be able to send in turns between June 3rd - June 6th and June 13th - June 16th (will be home late on the eveing of 17th).

I would like to ask wether I should try to find a sub for those two periods, or can the game be slowed down during those two periods?

Thanks,

-Jarkko
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:54 AM

Colonel

I have no problem slowing down the game to accommodate your schedule. Just remind me when you need the extension. Thanks.
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:55 AM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorazon View Post
I have no problem slowing down the game to accommodate your schedule. Just remind me when you need the extension. Thanks.
Thanks, this is great
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:52 PM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

DC, I really need a daley of about 6 or so hours to do my turn.
A crazy time for me, classes are over, day/night celebration parties and so on so it would be very bad to do the turn under the infuance of alhc. again.
Hope tyou see this in time.