.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old June 11th, 2006, 04:11 AM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tips for A newbie Playing as R\'lyeh

Beacuse mind blast is not spell. It's ability.
Old June 11th, 2006, 04:25 AM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
shovah said:
you sure? mr negates so i dont see why not.
Penetration boosting items don't affect anything that's not a spell, so they also have no effect on the Aboleth's enslave mind attack, nor do they have any effect on the various attacks that require a MR check to succeed.
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:36 AM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

dam, that sucks. There goes my plan for heart finder+spell focus. Even if they dont help with abilities, he can still use some spells (especially if he has clam)
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:10 AM

Corporal

Arker is on a distinguished road

The biggest problem I keep running into playing R'lyeh is that they suck supplies like nothing else. My armies always seem to start starving as soon as they go two provinces from a castle. With other races, I'll throw in a few nature priests when that's a problem, but the illithids don't get any nature priests. Unless I make a pretender with nature, I can't even forge endless buckets of slop and wineskins either, at least not until I find and conquer a land province with druids/amazons/lizards. I just did that in my present game, and I have some lizards up on one end and amazon sorceresses in que on the other, but I've pretty much lost one entire army to starvation induced disease getting to the lizards, and the second army is starving to death on the other as well. Seems a bit of a pain. I could make a nature based pretender, but that seems rather odd for R'lyeh, and even so, I've done it before, but it doesn't help much until later it seems. Takes a lot of time to develop much of a nature gem income with R'lyeh...

It's a good race, overall, just wish I could figure out some way to avoid so much starvation while getting established. Without having found a way, the best I can say is use those cheap lobo guards as cannon fodder, at least when they get diseased, crippled and worthless from starvation it doesn't hurt so bad. And keep a sharp eye peeled for neutrals with nature magic. The jade sorceresses are particularly nice, since they get water too, so they aren't stuck on one coastal area but can travel underwater with the rest of your troops. Druids are good for forging slop buckets and wineskin, if you can find the gems for them to do it with, but they're stuck on land without special measures. And the lizards can't forge much without empowerment, can't swim either, but at least they do give a supply bonus, and healing light is helpful.
Old July 30th, 2006, 02:39 AM

General

Quote:
Arker said:
Unless I make a pretender with nature, I can't even forge endless buckets of slop and wineskins either, at least not until I find and conquer a land province with druids/amazons/lizards.
You should probably have plenty of starspawn with N1 to forge wineskins.

Quote:
And the lizards can't forge much without empowerment, can't swim either, but at least they do give a supply bonus, and healing light is helpful.
I would never make a single enormous cauldrons of broth. For the same gem investment, wineskins give you twice the supply.
Old July 30th, 2006, 08:22 PM

Corporal

I have yet to see a starspawn with nature. Ever.
Old July 30th, 2006, 08:33 PM

General

Quote:
Arker said:
I have yet to see a starspawn with nature. Ever.
Then you're just unlucky. You should see N1 about every fourth starspawn.
Old July 30th, 2006, 09:55 PM

Corporal

Hmm rough guess, I've seen maybe 60 starspawns. So that would be some incredible un-luck.

Another possibility would be that I didn't know enough to be paying attention and hoping for that until recently... possible I had some in early games and didn't even notice it. Either way, it does sound like some intense bad luck on that if it's supposed to be 1 in 4 though.

I'm playing with CB mod at the moment, though I wasn't always... possibly that changes it? I've noticed some definite patterns in what the random picks come out as, seems like it's not really random, but picks from a subset based on the unit, like my dwarven smiths when playing Vanheim never seem to get nature either. They get extra earth, fire, air, blood, water, undead and astral. I've had 30 of them sitting in my home province researching, but not one was nature.
Old July 31st, 2006, 01:50 AM

Captain

Ygorl is on a distinguished road

It's a hair less than 1/4 (it's 15/64 to get at least N1).
Pretty sure these "patterns" are just our human tendency to find order even when there isn't any. I remember some people did some experiments a while back and it is actually random (as you'd expect - it would be harder to program them to be semi-random, it's not something you'd do accidentally)

If you've got 30 Smiths and you're looking for nature, the chance of finding 0 with nature is about 2%. Unlikely, sure, but nowhere close to impossible. Given the number of statistics just like that one that you can come up with (number of nature sites found, number of nature-gem events, number of...) it's likely that some of them will work out in an unlikely way.

If there are 50 different weird crappy unusual things that one might notice in a particular game (if they did by some freak chance happen), and each only has a 2% chance of happening, there would still be about a 2/3 chance that at least one of them would happen. Then the tendency would be to think "But... That's so unlikely to happen! There must be something funny in the way the game does this..." Then, next game, you'd be wondering why you didn't get any national heroes until turn 80... Then the next game, you'd be wondering why you had five barbarian attacks in the first ten turns... Then the next game you'd be wondering why you couldn't get a single frickin' sage with blood... There are just so many things that can happen in this game that some of them are bound to turn out weird.
Old July 31st, 2006, 09:13 AM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

In a game with atlantis i didnt get a nature king until after turn 50. Its over turn 60 now (nearly 70) and i still havnt got a blood king.