.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old January 26th, 2004, 06:52 PM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominion Spread

Quote:
Originally posted by ceremony:
I've put together a short primer on dominion and its spread and effects. All the mechanisms you ask about are there:

http://www.maladjustite.com/dominion.pdf
Awesome job. If the section on morale is done, I want it ASAP, because there are a lot of details in there that I'd like to know.

One point you might want to add: in the "i" window for a Province, you will see the name of any special dominion that applies there. It would be nice (devs: hint ) if you got the name of the nation responsible, too - not a big balance change, IMHO, but it would help sometimes.
Old January 26th, 2004, 07:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

ceremony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilD:
If the section on morale is done, I want it ASAP, because there are a lot of details in there that I'd like to know.
The morale section is going to come Last. It will require some work from the devs to hunt through the code and get a definitive answer on how it works, so I guess the deal is that if I can put together a comprehensive guide to the rest of it, they will get an answer for me about morale so that it can be complete!
Quote:
One point you might want to add: in the "i" window for a Province, you will see the name of any special dominion that applies there.
Good suggestion -- I'll add it.

One thing I really want to do in the guide is get across the fundamental concepts without necessarily burying the reader in detail, BUT having the detail in there for those who want it. For example, a pretender wih low dominion (3, for example) will see his dominion spread much faster initially than one with dominion 6, but once he starts meeting enemy dominions he will have a harder time reducing them, and will see high-dominion pretenders overwhelm his low-dominion provinces, since the chance of random spread to an enemy dominion depends in part on your maximum dominion. However, he can redress this by building a lot of temples. Thus, Man (for instance) can go with slightly lower dominion to start because temples are half the normal cost, and for all purposes, maximum dominion includes # of temples / 5.

None of this requires specific knowledge of the formulae involved. I'm still not sure how I want to end up writing it, but the further I get, the less likely it is to change because the more text would have to be completely re-written.

Quote:
Originally posted by diamondspider:
Actually, building temples and preaching are pretty much, indeed, going from door to door and represents the "abstract mechanism" that need not be violent.
Good point. However, the fact remains that unless you have stealthy priests, you're going to have to conquer provinces to be able to preach and build temples, since any provincial defense will likely be able to defend against a solitary priest. Anyway, it was kind of meant as a joke.
Old January 27th, 2004, 02:51 AM

Captain

Saxon is on a distinguished road
Default Dominion Spread

Dominion and how is it spread. I did a search and did not see anything, but, as always, if I missed a good thread, please feel free to point me to it.

Let us say I really want my dominion to spread and I am C’tis. I have a nice choke point with a temple and Ulm has a temple on the other side. I believe the preaching only effects the province I am in.

1. How quickly, if at all, is my dominion going to spread to his province?
2. Does this depend on my dominion strength?
2. The home province effect. How far does it reach?
3. The pretender and prophet effects. Do they reach beyond the province they are in?
4. My dominion strength. How does it really work? (I guess this is my key question)
5. I build more temples. Does the rate of spread go up as your strength goes up, or is it just to maximum total you can have?

My fiendish plan is to take advantage of my control of the oceans to surround him with temples. Then, as I can muster the troops, do hit and run, destroying his temples to reduce his counter to my temples. As you may have guessed, I am having a tough time taking Ulm out in battle, but I seem to have better dominion and have Mimosa, so spreading disease seemed like a nice idea.
Old January 27th, 2004, 06:12 AM

Captain

Saxon is on a distinguished road

Ceremony,

Thanks a lot for this! I posted Last night before I went home from work and when I checked this morning, I was a bit worried. It had fallen way down the forum list and I thought no one had replied. Then I saw 12 replies and then saw your chapter. I have printed it and will see if I can read it at lunch, things are busy today.

Thanks again!
Old January 27th, 2004, 09:51 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quote:
I've put together a short primer on dominion and its spread and effects. All the mechanisms you ask about are there:

http://www.maladjustite.com/dominion.pdf
Awesome job. If the section on morale is done, I want it ASAP, because there are a lot of details in there that I'd like to know.

One point you might want to add: in the "i" window for a Province, you will see the name of any special dominion that applies there. It would be nice (devs: hint ) if you got the name of the nation responsible, too - not a big balance change, IMHO, but it would help sometimes.

Hmm, that is not intentional. It will probably be removed
Old January 27th, 2004, 10:45 AM

Corporal

diamondspider is on a distinguished road

Quote:

quote:
Originally posted by diamondspider:
Actually, building temples and preaching are pretty much, indeed, going from door to door and represents the "abstract mechanism" that need not be violent.
Good point. However, the fact remains that unless you have stealthy priests, you're going to have to conquer provinces to be able to preach and build temples, since any provincial defense will likely be able to defend against a solitary priest. Anyway, it was kind of meant as a joke.
Yeah, I appreciated your humor! It just got my mind chugging and I always like it when something I read does that.

And, yes, there are ways besides stealthy priests to deal with indies by they are very inefficient e.g. Miasma, using rituals that don't create units but damage things from afar, etc. So, it doesn't work too well. The priests would also have to be set on Retreat to stop them from fighting... It isn't very practical and fighting is, unfortunately, pretty much inevitable as you implied.

edit: actually, it seems you can set indies to zero! Hehehe... maybe it is possible after all

[ January 27, 2004, 08:57: Message edited by: diamondspider ]
Old January 27th, 2004, 12:53 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

really good chapter, with some formulae difficult if not impossible to find without feedback from the devs!

* I once read somewhere that victory points provinces help spread the dominions, any infos on this?

* in which order temple spread and priest preaching is done, can be of importance.

* how can it be that a dominions spread can be observed more than one province away from a dominions source? Or is it that a province which is receiving a dominions increase have a chance to redirect this increase to yet another province?
Old January 27th, 2004, 01:19 PM

First Lieutenant

calmon is on a distinguished road

Good document!

One more question: What does 'Restless Worshippers' do exactly? Help Text says that the dominion 'spread quickly into enemy territories'. Is there a greater chance that enemy dominion decrease? ...or is there a greater decrease for each temple check.
Old January 27th, 2004, 07:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

ceremony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Pocus:
* I once read somewhere that victory points provinces help spread the dominions, any infos on this?
"Posessing a province with a victory point in will cause that province to spread dominion like a temple."

-from a post by Johan Osterman
Old January 27th, 2004, 07:29 PM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road

Comprehensive and well-written! Thank you!