.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 20th, 2004, 07:11 AM

Major

st.patrik is on a distinguished road
Default Mist: the poor man\'s Storm

I've been experimenting with Mist (Ev. 3) and have some questions. It says in the spell manual that Mist 'will limit sight and the range of all spells and missiles', but I haven't found the range of missile weapons to be reduced. Starting my guys all the way back the indie archers were still able to reach them with little movement. However I did notice their precision being reduced by 6. Isn't this what Storm does?

I guess Storm has the added effect of not allowing flight (haven't tested mist for that, but I'm guessing you can fly in the mist). Does Storm change precision by the same amount (6) or more? and are there any other differences?
Old February 20th, 2004, 05:01 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mist: the poor man\'s Storm

Can Caelum still fly in a storm? What about spells like lightning? I'm assuming that the precision drop is for all ranged actions (spells and missiles) or are some unique spells immune to the penalty (like the spells that function underwater?)

Also a question on Orb Lightning... it says the mage gets one bolt per level in air, but when I cast it I get one clump of bolts (actually I can't tell if its multiple bolts or not) that all hit the same square. Is it just a mass damage for one square or should there be a bit more spread?
Old February 20th, 2004, 06:25 PM

Major

Thanks for the replies; clarification is helpful. Also I didn't know that with Storm half the missiles get discarded.
Old February 20th, 2004, 07:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

Vicious Love is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by licker:
Can Caelum still fly in a storm? What about spells like lightning?
Storm warriors/generals are supposed to be able to fly in a storm, though Caelum's archers are still useless.
Back in Dom I, the stately age of the "hold and attack commanders" script, Caelum got GOOD RESULTS outta Storm.
Wouldn't know about the lightning, though it doesn't really stand to reason, does it?
Old February 21st, 2004, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by st.patrik:
Does Storm change precision by the same amount (6) or more? and are there any other differences?
For what I've seen, Mist does not reduce missile range, and yes this contradicts the manual.
Mist gives -6 (or is it -5) to all units, as a lump sum. Storm gives -50% precision, but does not affect the experience/air magic bonus.
So no difference between Storm and Mist for the classic, prec 10 or 11 archer.
Curiously, those spells are cumulative (I expected to see the fog removed by a good storm, but no).
FIY Darkness gives -75% prec.
Cheers
Old February 21st, 2004, 02:56 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Mist prec reduction
Storm prec reduction & 50% of all fired missiles are discarded.

I do not know if they are cumulative. They should not be.
Old February 21st, 2004, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristoffer O:
Mist prec reduction
Just made a short test. I made a army with an Air9 mage (experience 3 stars), longbowmen (3 stars) and mooseriders (no stars).
First battle : the mage casts Storm, then Mist. After Storm, his Prec (base 14 + 9 for the magic + 3 for the experience = 26) is 19. After Mist, he has 15.
The LB have 13 (10 + exp), then 8 after Storm, then 5 after Mist. The riders have a base of 8, they have 4 after a Storm and 2 after a Mist.
I also tested Mist before Storm, it is _exactly_ the same. Mage has 19 then 15, LB have 8 then 5 and riders have 4 then 2.

Conclusions :
- both spells do reduce prec by 50%, not counting the bonuses. The only difference = 50% of all missiles are "lost" in Storm (they are not fired), not in Mist.
- Storm and Mist are cumulative.
Cheers
Old February 21st, 2004, 04:27 PM

Major

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunray_be:
quote:
Originally posted by Kristoffer O:
Mist prec reduction
Just made a short test. I made a army with an Air9 mage (experience 3 stars), longbowmen (3 stars) and mooseriders (no stars).
First battle : the mage casts Storm, then Mist. After Storm, his Prec (base 14 + 9 for the magic + 3 for the experience = 26) is 19. After Mist, he has 15.
The LB have 13 (10 + exp), then 8 after Storm, then 5 after Mist. The riders have a base of 8, they have 4 after a Storm and 2 after a Mist.
I also tested Mist before Storm, it is _exactly_ the same. Mage has 19 then 15, LB have 8 then 5 and riders have 4 then 2.

Conclusions :
- both spells do reduce prec by 50%, not counting the bonuses. The only difference = 50% of all missiles are "lost" in Storm (they are not fired), not in Mist.
- Storm and Mist are cumulative.
Cheers

so Mist really is the poor man's Storm
What a great defense against missiles - if you were able to cast both of the above not much is going to hit.

Here's another qu.: Storm (IIRC) is supposed to make using fire magic harder. Does Mist have this same effect?
Old February 21st, 2004, 05:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

Peter Ebbesen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by licker:

Also a question on Orb Lightning... it says the mage gets one bolt per level in air, but when I cast it I get one clump of bolts (actually I can't tell if its multiple bolts or not) that all hit the same square. Is it just a mass damage for one square or should there be a bit more spread?
Orb Lightning has a fairly short range (15). If there are many targets within that range that are close to each other - a few squares apart - it tends to target several of them. If there are only a few, it tends to target only one or two. If the units are more spread out, but still within range, it still seems to mostly (solely) target one basic direction.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 12:57 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road

So it (mist) does NOT limit range? And it is cumulative (despite dev protest to the contrary)? Do you suppose they will then change this, or will it be kept?
What can a missile-strong nation (Man for example) do against mist/storm?