.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 29th, 2006, 11:10 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road
Default Dom-III discussion at GalCiv

Check this out, publishers of Gal-Civ II post about dom III going gold (at http://www.galciv2.com/, and http://forums.galciv2.com/?AID=128349 ).

There's something symbolic in that, as IMO those are the best publishers for quality strat. games (stardock and shrapnel).

If you are members of this forum, you may want to throw in a few good words on dominions .
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dom-III discussion at GalCiv

..and you can see posts like this in that forum:

"Master of Magic has better graphics, never cost 55$, and while the interface is somewhat behind the curve (it's at least 10-15 years old) it's still a lot more accessible and powerful than what I encountered when I tried to play the Dominions 2 demo a few months ago."

what can I say? no comment.

*edit*. I was just reading more posts. It seems that most of the Galciv2 people are complaining about the Doms 2. AI.
Example:

"I would find it hard to believe that there is a large crossover between GC2 fans and Dom2/3 fans.

Dom is basically MP only since the AI has always sucked. More because of all the useless junk they keep on throwing in with little mind to balance or entertainment.

Then there's the price tag... completely unreasonable for a MP only niche game in my opinion, but hey, it's their baby.

That said I like the developers at Illwinter, and I like the Dom community, I just don't think any of them really care about SP gaming (as far as Dom is concerned). "

Well this is funny, because the Galciv2. AI wasnt that good at all, and it can be exploited easily. I dont know whats going on now, because I havent touched Galciv2 for a couple of months now, some patches maybe upgraded the AI.

The other thing is that I still play Dominions 2 a lot, but I stopped to play Galciv2. I think this is the best proof that which is the better game, AI or not.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old August 29th, 2006, 12:49 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

MoM has better graphics? O_o What and odd claim, not that it really does matter.

Some of their points are valid, I think. Namely the AI concern, but since I am such a poor player the sure and safe "Lots of AI's gang on me" was good enough to keep me excited.

Apparently Dom 2 did sell for $55 and didn't Dom 3 break the pre-order records? Their economic asses of the situation is off if you ask me.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old August 29th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

The GalCiv crowd will always be able to complain about other games AIs. Brad was famous in AI discussion circles before GalCiv was redone to a windows version and was often mentioned in any AI paper. I snatched it up when I heard that Brad had decided that Windows XP had advanced enough to support real AI.

But to be truthful, Ive hardly played it at all. I was very disappointed. I should probably download his new version though and check it out again.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 29th, 2006, 04:46 PM

General

Quote:
DominionsFAN said:

"Master of Magic has better graphics, never cost 55$, and while the interface is somewhat behind the curve (it's at least 10-15 years old) it's still a lot more accessible and powerful than what I encountered when I tried to play the Dominions 2 demo a few months ago."

*edit*. I was just reading more posts. It seems that most of the Galciv2 people are complaining about the Doms 2. AI.
Example:

First claim is plain outrageous.

As to AI, no surprise there as GC-II has amazingly powerful AI. Dominions forte isn't it's AI or fgx, rather than it's depth, replaybility and (for me) charm.
Old August 29th, 2006, 04:54 PM

Major

Morkilus is on a distinguished road

I've run across some game-breaking retardedness in the GC2 campaign AI, such as enemy ships being built without weapons. I suppose it might be worth another shot with the update, but I don't really see the point when I can do other stuff that I know is fun.
Old August 29th, 2006, 05:06 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
WraithLord said:
Quote:
DominionsFAN said:

Example:

First claim is plain outrageous.

As to AI, no surprise there as GC-II has amazingly powerful AI. Dominions forte isn't it's AI or fgx, rather than it's depth, replaybility and (for me) charm.

Well I dont agree Wraith. Firstly, Galciv2 is a SP only game, so they focus on AIs. Secondly their so called AI is not working that good. I remember that I was playing Galciv 2. after like 2 patches, and the AI sucked still. It wasnt hard to beat 5 AIs on the hardest settings. The Galciv2 AIs are not bad, I wouldnt dare to say that, but surely not hard to beat for a human player. Now I tell you something more. I had harder times to win against the Doms 2. AIs then against the Galciv2 AIs. There were some Dom2 SP games for me, when I had a 4+ front war against the AIs and I lost. I never lost a single SP game in Galciv2. Why? Mainly because of diplomacy. Its fairly easy to turn an AI to your side and make an alliance. From that point you cant loose a game. Maybe this has been changed after more patches, but I seriously doubt that I would loose a Galciv2 game even now.

Well the Doms2 AI wasnt perfect, but it was good enough for the new players to practice before they play online.
As we know the Doms 3. AI will be better. I am also pretty sure that IW will upgrade the Doms 3. AI if it will be needed.

All in all, Im pretty disappointed that the Galciv2 players are bashing Doms 2. like this. Dominions 2. is much more complex then Galciv2. Thus its much harder to write an AI for Doms2, since the comp player must take care of many more different things. Oddly they forgot to mention this.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old August 29th, 2006, 05:26 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Annette is on a distinguished road

Quote:

All in all, Im pretty disappointed that the Galciv2 players are bashing Doms 2. like this.

Don't worry too much about that. Any discussion is good discussion, and we're very appreciative that Brad started a thread about Dom 3 on his forums. He's a class-act. We hope those of you who haven't played GalCiv 2 will give it a go.
Old August 29th, 2006, 05:49 PM

General

You have probably played GC-II considerably longer then I have, for my personal experience with its AI was that it's very tough. Maybe the fact that dominions doesn't support diplomacy has something to do with the GC-II fans complaints

I agree that it's much harder to write an AI to dom since it's more complex (and less motivation to do so, since it's more MP oriented).

Ahhm, I have to say that I share your sentiment of disappointment, it reminds of when I've tried to tell ppl in the AOW forums how great dom is
Old August 29th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Even somewhat negative discussion is a lot better than the absolutely zero response I have gotten posting about dom3 on Apolyton...