.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Closed Thread

Old September 9th, 2006, 05:03 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Another idea that struck me while writing an A

A pretender spreads dominion, why in hell should he spread un-unrest as if he were a bunch of patrollers ?
Note that as he spread dominion he push the province he's in towards his scales. That seems much more fitting than auto-killing of brigands ...
Old September 9th, 2006, 05:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

JaydedOne is on a distinguished road

Can we watch the tone of this discussion? It's verging on antagonistic and I'd like to think we can have a back-and-forth discussion of new ideas without things getting too heated.
Old September 9th, 2006, 05:23 PM

Colonel

Yep, JaydedOne, you're right, he should have said more ploitely that it looked like a bad idea to me ...
Old September 9th, 2006, 05:24 PM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That seems much more fitting than auto-killing of brigands ...
I could have misunderstood, but I do not believe that he was suggesting that the population was killed as is the case with patrolling. Simply that unrest decreased out of awe OR fear depending on how you want to look at it. The dominion of the pretender (to me) reflects his/her influence and renown among the populace there. This is good, but the divine presence walking the lands in which you live would seem logically to have a more obvious and immediate impact on the willingness of nay-sayers to speak out.
Map Forge - Map editor
Old September 9th, 2006, 05:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I know about the autotax feature, which is one of the reasons I got caught in a semi-contradiction above. On one hand, I was trying to place my idea in the light of Dominions 2 when I said, "all you have to do is play with the tax rate ..." and on the other hand, I was trying to place my idea in context with Dominions 3 by saying there would effectively be no micromanagement involved. I should have proof-read my post a little better and cleaned it up. With the autotax feature, there would be no micromanagement. Really, this means I have nothing to reply to Graeme Dice about.

@PDF
That wasn't even a coherent statement. Nobody has suggested anything contrary to the way things work right now. In essence, all I said is that it seems thematic that when a peoples' god is physically present, they are less likely to misbehave. Think about it. Right now, there are absolutely no inherent bonuses for having your pretender god present among the people. That's probably why the idea came to me in the first place; to fill a "realism" need.

=$=
Old September 9th, 2006, 07:21 PM

Colonel

BigJMoney,
Which of my statements weren't "even coherent" ? They may have been rash, but they look coherent to me...
As for your statemenyt that
Quote:
Right now, there are absolutely no inherent bonuses for having your pretender god present among the people
it's just untrue : presence of the pretender raises faith (dominion) and this dominion makes the province tilt stowards the pretender's scales, so people work harder if it is order or productivity, are more healthy if it's Growth, get cold if it's cold and die more if it's Death !

This suits me perfectly. I like the idea that the Pretender is a godlike being not even bothering himself with unrest and not a kind of awe-inspiring sherif making the brigands surrender arms and going back to their fields. That's what good admin (low taxes) or patrollers are for.
Maybe I'm more clear now ?
Old September 9th, 2006, 08:14 PM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
PDF said:
it's just untrue : presence of the pretender raises faith (dominion) and this dominion makes the province tilt stowards the pretender's scales, so people work harder if it is order or productivity, are more healthy if it's Growth, get cold if it's cold and die more if it's Death !

This suits me perfectly. I like the idea that the Pretender is a godlike being not even bothering himself with unrest and not a kind of awe-inspiring sherif making the brigands surrender arms and going back to their fields. That's what good admin (low taxes) or patrollers are for.
Maybe I'm more clear now ?
I think PDF is making a good point here. From thematical point of view, it may be more interesting to have have priests powers increased when the god-pretender is in the same province - for example, priest level for preaching purposes could be raised by 1. Intuitively, it seems that ability to demonstrate the god would simplify the task of preaching (unless the god is hiding, I suppose). From tactical point of view it may be interesting to raise priest levels for the purpose of combat casting if the god is participating - it can make a big difference vs undead.
Old September 10th, 2006, 03:21 AM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
JaydedOne said:
Can we watch the tone of this discussion? It's verging on antagonistic and I'd like to think we can have a back-and-forth discussion of new ideas without things getting too heated.
If somebody is going to both promote micromanagement as though it is good gameplay, and directly contradict themselves in the very same post, then they deserve whatever flames they get. The internet is not the personal playground of people who are too delicate to deal with criticism.
Old September 10th, 2006, 04:15 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

> they deserve whatever flames they get

No one deserves flames. Polite answers will often clear up misunderstandings, faulty logics and bad english.
Old September 10th, 2006, 02:47 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Flames also endanger the threads. Not to mention the flamers login. Keep in mind whose forums these are and why they have them here. Chasing away newbies is not the goal
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Closed Thread