.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

iRFNA is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question about EA Tir Na N'og

Quickening song is not quickness. It is similar to the nature spell haste. It makes units able to run twice the distance in battle, but they still have one attack per round and do not gain +3 attack/defense.

The way I see damage is that you still have axe wielding fir bolgs. They're your go to troops for melee damage.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:10 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

I think I did well with an S9E9 bless and pretty much exclusively used the sacreds for expansion. It worked quite well. Unfortunately I'd completely failed to make a midgame plan so I kind of got stuck then.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:26 AM

Corporal

Festin is on a distinguished road

As I remember axe fir bolgs are pretty bad compared to the spear ones.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

And are the only 18 damage troops besides the capital sacreds. Your next best is 15 damage sidhe. The axe doesn't have the best effect on attack and defense, but sometimes you need to pierce protection more than anything.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:42 AM

Sergeant

Torgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRFNA View Post
Quickening song is not quickness. It is similar to the nature spell haste. It makes units able to run twice the distance in battle, but they still have one attack per round and do not gain +3 attack/defense.

The way I see damage is that you still have axe wielding fir bolgs. They're your go to troops for melee damage.
It appears you're right. Makes this spell much less useful. Oh well.

Last edited by Torgon; February 23rd, 2011 at 11:49 AM..
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:55 AM

Second Lieutenant

Quickness would be absurdly overpowered.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:54 PM

Sergeant

Are wyverns any good?
Old February 23rd, 2011, 03:30 PM

Sergeant

Corinthian is on a distinguished road

No, not really. Even with dragon master they are usually only barely worth it. And EDM ads so many other good things you can spend air gems on that summoning them probably always a bad idea unless you are desperate.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 05:13 PM

Sergeant

Kobal2 is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking one glaring problem TNN has (even compared with Eriu) is that they really lack means to deal with SCs, which is a very bad thing in the EA when half the nations can recruit one of those per turn on top of their own batch of EDM summons/elemental royalty/demons/tarts.

A simple const 0 ring nixes your big early evocations, and while they can trapeze around the sidhe lords seem quite lacking in the anti-SC role: no feet slot means no quickness/flight turn 0, bad buffing paths to face people with magic weapons and regen doesn't do much on a 15 hp guy.
Without S mages nor D mages to summon spectres, you're also going to be hurting for luck/antimagic ammis on the off chance you can't find a lizard province.

Ultimately I reckon everything TNN does, on paper Fomoria can do it just as well while having more options beyond that.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 05:46 PM

Sergeant

Agree with the problems with lack of SC counters. I'm looking for ideas. What generally works well for other nations without their own SC chassis?

One solution might be using Sidhe champions instead of the lords as anit-SC squads. Significantly cheaper with similar stats, main diff is one less air and 17 def vs. 20. Give a few of them hero's blades (12 AP damage + additional to larger creatures). Script flight, attack large creatures. A squad of them coming in on the middle of a buff cycle seems like it would work nicely. 4 cost the same amount as a Niefel jarl, and they're recruit anywhere, plus 10E gems a piece for the blades, plus any other trinkets you want to throw on them (amulets of luck might work nicely, if you can forge them. Obviously another problem, but you could just outfit your pretender to summon Spectres to get a little astral if you can't find lizards). They have glamour so it has to be popped first, gives them a couple of rounds to wail away. Would have to test it out but seems like a possible strategy. As long as you don't lose more than 4 in each SC exchange you're coming out ahead in terms of gold and gems. Not sure if this would work, any thoughts?

Not really sure where the comparison to Fomoria comes from, seems like there are too many differences to name. No recruit anywhere glamour mages and commanders, only recruit anywhere mage is the druid with only A1 + random. No recruit anywhere stealth troops. No access to earth or nature for big troop buffs. Etc. Fomoria is a giant nation that relies on capital only kings and sorceresses. I agree they may be an overall stronger nation than TNN, but hardly a good comparison when trying to think about a strategy.

Seems the better comparisons would be Vanhiem or Hellheim, with either blood or death respectively, and access to heavy earth at their capitals. How do they deal with SC's?

Last edited by Torgon; February 23rd, 2011 at 06:16 PM..