This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 14th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Corporal

Ron_Lugge is on a distinguished road
Default Basemod

The idea of this mod is to enhnace the defensive potential of bases and planets -- they are large, massive things that should be difficult to attack. After all, a base doesn't need to build engines or worry about moving, and a planet is a *huge* thing.

At the moment I've only implemented parts of this -- I intend to make ground combat *much* more difficult (adamant / proportions style) and possibly tweak things here and there(combat only engines for bases, add shield regenerators back in...)

But I'm wondering if I've already managed enough, so I'll just let you guys look at it. Don't worry if I take forever to respond, I have rather... limited... access to the internet.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 340233-basemod.zip (2.40 MB, 115 views)

Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Old March 14th, 2005, 03:56 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Basemod

Firstly, i didnt try your mod. I think in stock weapon platforms ARE already QUITE difficult to attack, ever tried to conquer a world which is massivly fortified with satellites and weapon platforms ? I dont see a ways to succesfully conquer or glass such worlds, not talking about usage of massive fleets.
I agree though, that bases should be strenthened. When thinking about bases, i always think about things like Babylon 5 or or the Federation Base guarding that Wormhole. They should have more hitpoints and firepower, compared to stock.
My 2 cent for you
Old March 14th, 2005, 03:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

For ground combat, take a look at GritEcon. This is the style of ground combat that future Adamant versions will feature.

http://imagemodserver.mine.nu/other/...Mods/GritEcon/

Quote:
Ragnarok-X said:
Firstly, i didnt try your mod. I think in stock weapon platforms ARE already QUITE difficult to attack, ever tried to conquer a world which is massivly fortified with satellites and weapon platforms ?
Yes, and it is very easy. Sure, you can not do it with 20 ships, but that is no matter. Just send in 80+ battleships and you are good to go... 80 ships make a fairly small fleet. Smaller worlds are irrelevant in terms of defense.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 16th, 2005, 12:59 PM

Corporal

Ron_Lugge is on a distinguished road

Hm... I've always felt that attacking planets was a little easy, but that may just be the lack of opportunity for MP or something... Or, quite possibly, I've badly designed my defenses...

Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Old March 16th, 2005, 01:43 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

The biggest problem with defending a planet using weapons platforms is the fact that they have a built in multiplex of ten, that is, they can only target ten ships per combat turn. This is regardless of how many weapons platforms you have on the planet and how many waepons you have per platform, and is not improved by the multiplex components. While a fleet of 100 ships will be able to bring all it's weapons to bear on the planet on every combat turn. All that it can bring into range anyway. You would have to really beef up the weapons platforms to be able to survive a determined opponent.

You could build an uber-gun that would destroy any possible opponents ship in one shot, certainly reasonable in many sci-fi universes. But even then you'd only be able to take out ten ships per round. A large enough fleet could absorb that rate of attrition and still glass the planet in a couple combat turns. Unless you also jacked up the weapons platform shielding to make them significantly invulnerable to orbital fire. It would be difficult to balance.
Old March 16th, 2005, 01:47 PM

Major General

NullAshton is on a distinguished road

I though planets had multiplex tracking of 100 or 1,000?

Vala - "The last time I was this bored, I took hostages!"
Old March 16th, 2005, 02:21 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NullAshton said:
I though planets had multiplex tracking of 100 or 1,000?
That's not my understanding, unless my info is out of date. According to the FAQ and what I remember the last time I tested it it's still 10.

However, talking to SJ he suggested that you could mod the weapons platform hull size with a multiplex 100(or more I suppose, not sure what the limit is for an ability value). I wasn't aware you could do that. That would fix the problem.