The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 10th, 2005, 06:30 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Star Trek Mod Site (Problems)

Are you sure that your site has not been hacked into and malicious programs uploaded to it? Check every folder for files you do not recognize...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 10th, 2005, 06:32 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

I just got a new email:

Quote:
This has nothing to do with your email about the error logs, your are being asked to upgrade your account because of your resource consumption which includes higher then normal cpu and memory ussage. We do want to keep you as a customer, but you have exceeded your current hosting plan and we will need you to upgrade your hosting plan. We will need to get this resolved within the next 24 hours.
I reviewed my plan and I cannot find any refernce to limits for the CPU or memory resources. Like I said its just simple plan old extortion!
Old March 10th, 2005, 06:44 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanks guys will do both.
Old March 10th, 2005, 06:55 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I could not access the folder named CERT.
I have a folder named _vti_pvt with thing in it that have cnf extentions. (Access, botinfs, bots.cnf, service.cnf, etc
Past that it had a remote PBW game option, you know for playing PBW games when PBW is down, and some bike videos. Nothing more.

I don't know what is causing the issue, or even if there is really an issue.
Old March 10th, 2005, 06:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

You should probably chmod any scripts you have that you do not use anymore (such as the PBW scripts) to 000 so that they can not be accessed... Or delete them from the server. Every script on the server is a potential security vulnerability.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:18 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thank Fyron, I just removed the file. I also got a response to my email.

Quote:
I checked the server reports and I do see some major spikes, this maybe caused by your file downloads? There are times where the cpu and memory usage on your for your domain name are very high, this has been a consistent thing for many months now.

Please let us know which plan you would like to upgrade to?
Old March 10th, 2005, 08:14 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The only thing that could resolve server usage is putting you on a different server... Just having a more expensive account on the same server will do absolutely nothing regarding resource usage. I still suspect that some sort of malicious program has been hacked onto your server. That, or the hosting company put way too many accounts on one server, which is entirely their fault, not yours. If we can eliminate hacking as a problem, you definitely need to get in contact with the Better Business Bureau...
Old March 10th, 2005, 09:15 PM

Corporal

luke_slovakian is on a distinguished road

At that suxs....i'm sorry to hear that.
Old March 10th, 2005, 09:50 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

I like how they keep adding "So what plan do you want to upgrade to" with each response, while they are not really dealing with the problem itself.
Old March 10th, 2005, 10:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
The only thing that could resolve server usage is putting you on a different server... Just having a more expensive account on the same server will do absolutely nothing regarding resource usage. I still suspect that some sort of malicious program has been hacked onto your server. That, or the hosting company put way too many accounts on one server, which is entirely their fault, not yours. If we can eliminate hacking as a problem, you definitely need to get in contact with the Better Business Bureau...
What CK said is true, they are not addressing the problem, and trying to get them to help me over the phone is a pain in the ***. All they want me to do is upgrade to their most expensive plan, $19.95 a month. I asked them if my site was not using over using its traffic and disk space, then why should I upgrade. The answer was upgrade or be shut down.

Right now I am trying to figure out how, if I do upgrade, which I am not going to do, much it will cost me. They say I will have to pay for plan C at the minimum, which is $14.95 a month. I asked about the money I have already paid in and was told that I would have to pay $14.95 a month. Again no answer. Now they are not returning my phone calls.

Yes I think its time to move. I guess the only way to find out if Fyrons hosting company is any good is to do business with them.

The money I have already paid to OneWebHosting will not be refunded, ie I paid for a year, starting in January, so that leaves 9 months of service I paid for but will not be using. OneWebHosting will no credit my account if I upgrade, and they will not refund the money therefore I can only conclude that they do not want me as a customer.