Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old December 11th, 2005, 04:21 PM

Captain

RecruitMonty is on a distinguished road
Default Tactics.

How do you, the other players, use various units in game? What would you say is the best strategy for say Mechanised units or for infantry assaults, for that matter how would you set up a unit of tanks in a scenario?

BTW:I started a similar post in the AAR forum regarding Mechanised infantry and airmobile units
Old December 12th, 2005, 12:18 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tactics.

No "strategies" whatsoever - this game is tactical !

Cheers
Andy
Old December 12th, 2005, 09:38 AM

Private

kesh is on a distinguished road

My tactics are simple. If you attack, you die.

In meeting engagements I get as far forward as I can without contacting the enemy significantly, or them contacting me the following turn when I can be easily spotted as 'moving' and my ATGMs won't fire. I get into good ambush or firing positions and wait. I'm usually infantry heavy for this reason. The result is like watching an enemy fall on my sword. I follow up with a counter attack, now that the enemy is reduced and much of its location known. My only wish is to find an opponent that doesn't play ball.

If I have to attack I will move through the most covered terrain, as I only have to expose my units to a smaller portion of the enemy. I move a skirmish line of foot infantry first with much arty support. Behind are better, maybe mobile troops that can rush up and attack found units that have expended shots or suppression dealing with the skirmish line. I move slowly so that often opponents get impatient and attack and then they die as above.

The above are for European style close terrain.

I believe no-one sensible should advance in a meeting engagement unless the objective hexes have very high value, higher that the game will allow in modern, high point games.
Old December 12th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Captain

RecruitMonty is on a distinguished road

Interesting, so you prefer to let the enemy fall on your sword. What if you were more dependant on the Mechanised units? Would you let the troops out a distance away from the enemy or would you let them out on top of the enemy?
Old December 12th, 2005, 04:54 PM

Sergeant

RVPERTVS is on a distinguished road

The only problem with staying still is that most of the times the enemy will deliver a rain of artillery fire on your position. Sometimes waiting for the enemy won´t do no good.
Old December 13th, 2005, 01:40 AM

Sergeant

Just check this link out

http://www.wargame.ch/iwc/scen/sp.htm
Old December 13th, 2005, 03:03 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Some REALLY old stuff there - and any guide I did way back then was for the old SSI game, and is therefore not that relevant to our current games.

Cheers
Andy
Old December 13th, 2005, 09:33 AM

Private

kesh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
RecruitMonty said:
What if you were more dependant on the Mechanised units? Would you let the troops out a distance away from the enemy or would you let them out on top of the enemy?
It's ideal to have mech units as they can do the defensive ambush stuff as dismounted inf. They can creep forward as dismounted, but they can rush supressed, shot expended units to close quarters for the kill in their APCs.

Quote:
RVPERTVS said:The only problem with staying still is that most of the times the enemy will deliver a rain of artillery fire on your position. Sometimes waiting for the enemy won´t do no good.
In ambush mode once they've found you there is no point in staying still so set up another ambush elsewhere or start the counter attack. When creeping forward, hopefully behind a walking barrage, you are vulnerable, but then feint attacks can be used to draw arty fire.

Most of the above requires play with no air, otherwise everything gets spotted quickly and the game becomes less interesting.

I think tanks are much too vulnerable for their cost, and prefer to buy hardly any. I don't know if this fact reflects the game or (maybe more likely) real life. An interesting rule to apply during purchases is not to allow players to buy more infantry carried ATGMs (vehicular ones are almost useless) than they buy MBTs.
Old December 13th, 2005, 01:45 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
kesh said:
Quote:
RecruitMonty said:
What if you were more dependant on the Mechanised units? Would you let the troops out a distance away from the enemy or would you let them out on top of the enemy?
It's ideal to have mech units as they can do the defensive ambush stuff as dismounted inf. They can creep forward as dismounted, but they can rush supressed, shot expended units to close quarters for the kill in their APCs.

Quote:
RVPERTVS said:The only problem with staying still is that most of the times the enemy will deliver a rain of artillery fire on your position. Sometimes waiting for the enemy won´t do no good.
In ambush mode once they've found you there is no point in staying still so set up another ambush elsewhere or start the counter attack. When creeping forward, hopefully behind a walking barrage, you are vulnerable, but then feint attacks can be used to draw arty fire.

Most of the above requires play with no air, otherwise everything gets spotted quickly and the game becomes less interesting.

I think tanks are much too vulnerable for their cost, and prefer to buy hardly any. I don't know if this fact reflects the game or (maybe more likely) real life. An interesting rule to apply during purchases is not to allow players to buy more infantry carried ATGMs (vehicular ones are almost useless) than they buy MBTs.
No tanks?, what do you like to use instead to kill enemy ones? just infantry carried ATGMs?
Old December 14th, 2005, 02:11 PM

Private

JJAVN is on a distinguished road

In real life infantry carried ATGMs are quite useful and very deadly. They aren't represented well at ALL in SP. Which is unfortunate. The game designers seem to be in the Pro-American camp.. and didn't take a nonpartisan view on Russian equimpent at all.
Fortunatly mods have come out to reduce some of these shortcomings.