Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old January 17th, 2006, 09:12 PM

BANNED USER

Mustang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tactics.

ATGMs are worthless if you know what you're doing. Usually, the enemy will have too many dug-in MGs for you to try a pure infantry assault, but mortars are good here. ATGMs, once they've been fired, are easy to spot, and it a turn or two you'll have a batallion of artillery supressing them to hell. If you can't do that, any kind of MG or rifle fire will do just fine, and if there's no other choice just put up smoke (few ATGM carriers have thermal).

As for my tactics, it depends on the battle. In an infantry engagement, I use a lot of MGs and snipers except in close terrain or on the defense. I also buy tons of mortars and use LOTS of smoke. Mortars are excellent because they're so cheap and almost as good for supression as field artillery. Even if you don't have any enemy infantry to shoot at, they're great for a quick smoke barrage. Smoking off part of the enemy force will allow you to engage the rest piecemeal.

But I agree with Kesh's idea of staying on the defensive in meeting engagments. Ideally, you should be able to rush for the center objectives and secure them, but if you can't, just dig in and launch a few pinprick attacks every once and a while to build up your score to compensate for the fact that you don't control the center objectives. If the enemy digs in too, your only choices are to attack or retreat, though.
Old January 17th, 2006, 09:40 PM

Corporal

Pepper is on a distinguished road

I am also not surprised when American OOBs seem more detailed, but I don't assume thats because this is an American game (in fact, I don't think MobHack or DRG are American, are they?), but rather because of American openness and the availability of detailed information on their weapons systems. Most other countries simply don't have such detailed information available.
Old January 18th, 2006, 04:25 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Pepper said:
I am also not surprised when American OOBs seem more detailed, but I don't assume thats because this is an American game (in fact, I don't think MobHack or DRG are American, are they?), but rather because of American openness and the availability of detailed information on their weapons systems. Most other countries simply don't have such detailed information available.
I am British, Don is Canadian.

US organisations, tactics manuals etc are freely available in the public domain. This contrasts with other govermments where such things are usually covered by the Official Secrets Act or similar classifications.

Even the WW2 based manuals for the my high school's Combined Cadet force were marked "Restricted". UK Govt defence related pubs are not subject to any "freedom of information" acts.

Cheers
Andy
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Private

niklas627 is on a distinguished road

I have 3 different tactics depending on if I defend, assaulting or advancing in to enemy territory.

Assaulting tactic:
I going forward with scoot teams and trying to find where my enemy has the weakest point. When I have found it I put my artillery on that point, and starting to move forward with my main force and trying to breakthrough that weak point, after my artillery have pulverized everything.
After my breakthrough I spreading my units behind my enemy and take the victory locations and going in to my defence tactic.

Advancing tactic:
I moving fast forward with 2 main forces on my both sides and 1 defend force lagging behind in the centre.
Trying to taking my victory locations by speed and mobility, and going in to my defence strategy.
It is very usually that I circling the enemy force with this tactic.

Defending tactic:
My force is concentrated in two 3 main forces, 2 mechanic (with at least 1 tank platoon and 2 APC-inf platoons in each), and 1 infantry force.
The infantry is the one force which has the most losses. This force is the one who is going to take the stand and not move out from there poisonings what so weaver.
The nearest tank platoon is the one who is going up to support my inf. force when the enemy is attacking it. My APC-inf stays in place and does not move if there not been attacked.
My mechanical forces starts to going in to a delay defence tactic if the been attacked.
I choose my defence positioning with lots of care. The best position is when every unit in one of my defence force can open fire at the same time at the same target.

cheers/
niklas
Old January 27th, 2006, 08:57 PM

BANNED USER

Mustang is on a distinguished road

Niklas, we have pretty much the same attacking strategy. I don't really have a plan before the battle- I deploy my forces and take whatever opportunities present themselves. It sounds ridiculous but actually works well, against the computer at least.

As for defence, I usually buy a lot of artillery because the enemy is going to advance through a lot of open ground. I also buy a lot of infantry because they're hard to dig out and can buy you a lot of time.
Old January 28th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Private

Stellar is on a distinguished road

Mustang, i agree with you tactic, but disagree when you saying ATGM's are worthless as if i take example Swedish RBS-56 Bill your MG's and Snipers arent going to save your MBT's if terrain is good, just need couple hills and you can fire RBS from very long range and very accurate, usually takes just one shot to destroy target. Also i must say it's hard to spot because long range so you can shoot it with arty all you want, maybe you get lucky, maybe not