Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old January 17th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Improvements you want to WinSPMBT

Quote:
Mustang said:
Still, computer AI has advanced enough for any game to let the smaller units do some thinking for themselves. There's great potential here, but it's too bad that no big company is picking up the idea of a really realistic battlefield simulation. They're the only ones that have the money to try.
Actually there are some already out there depending on what you consider realistic simulation. Are you talking 3D, top down? Any game that uses hexes or a turn based system can never hope to be "realistic".

Quote:
Mustang said:But why hasn't anyone talked about my "orders" idea I mentioned in the first post? It's an interesting little concept that needs to be considered.
The orders you mentioned are specific to SP3. SPMBT and SPMWW2 are based on another game engine altogther (SP2) so some things in one probably cannot be replicated in another with substantial recoding at the very least.
Old January 17th, 2006, 02:48 PM

Sergeant

hoplitis is on a distinguished road

Regarding the "orders thing" I agree with Double_Deuce.
Old January 17th, 2006, 09:01 PM

BANNED USER

Mustang is on a distinguished road

I guess, but it would be a pretty cool idea. There needs to be some way to represent the abilities of different unit commanders beyond morale and experience, which are kind of a superficial way to represent it. Yeah, it would require a major recoding, and it isn't all that big of a thing to warrant the effort.

Double_duece, you mentioned that there are realistic battlefiedl sims out there. What ones do you know of? I've heard of Battlfield Command (or something like that), it sounds interesting, but I haven't tried it.
Old January 17th, 2006, 09:51 PM

Corporal

Pepper is on a distinguished road

Check out Point of Attack 2 - looks pretty impressive if it would only work! Hopefully soon ...

But I agree that there are no excellent sims right now that take advantage of computers growing processing power. I'd love to see a computer company put together a game with the detailed OOBs of SPMBT, the ability to give detailed orders (like TacOps or Harpoon) at the single vehicle/fire-team level, but with a graphical interface more like an RTS, with a good zoom and floating camera to observe the action in 3D from 360 degrees.

Maybe someday ...
Old January 17th, 2006, 10:36 PM

Major

Quote:
Pepper said:
Check out Point of Attack 2 - looks pretty impressive if it would only work! Hopefully soon ...
I'm waiting for the day I hear that it is working properly (without all the crashes, etc) and then it'll be on my PC.
Old January 17th, 2006, 10:47 PM

Major

Quote:
Mustang said:

Double_duece, you mentioned that there are realistic battlefiedl sims out there. What ones do you know of?
When I think of Battlefield Simulations I think of games like TacOps, ATF: Armored Task Force and BCT: Brigade Combat Team Commander (and there are others). I don't really think of FPS games as simulations in the military simulation sense. They are what I would call tactical training simulators or a way to train individual soldiers to enhance their combat proficiencies/senses.

When I think battlefield simulators I think of tools/games to train commanders in an overall combat environment and not micromanage each soldier. I know others would disagree mostly because everyone holds a different view on what is a battlefield simulator supposed to be, do and look like. I guess a question to you is, what would you want out of a battlefield simulation?
Old January 18th, 2006, 05:31 PM

BANNED USER

Well, I heard of ATF and it looks really nice. But it dosen't have what WinSPMBT has, mainly the ability to play almost any battle in recent history and a good representation of morale. FPS aren't really true "simulators" because soldiers (the video game players) are always fearless. For example, if everyone playing Battlefield 1942 fought on the real battlefield like they did in the game, they'd all get medals of honor. There's no way to reflect supression or morale, although they can be very realistic otherwise.

Has anyone played Jane's Fleet Command? Someone needs to build a game like that for land combat, with cool 3D visuals and a huge battlefield.
Old January 18th, 2006, 09:35 PM

Corporal

Pepper is on a distinguished road

What is needed is a game like Combat Mission but with graphics that aren't from the mid-80s and that doesn't work in turns but rather is real-time with a pause button. Oh, and better objects/maps that include buildings, etc.

I know it can be done. I think the perception is that the market for such games is just too thin.
Old January 20th, 2006, 11:13 AM

BANNED USER

That's right, Pepper. Everyone likes these crazy RTS games like C&C Generals (the old ones were good, the new one sucks). People put a huge ammount of work into FPS and RTS, but they should think of putting just a little into a good combat sim. I'm sure it would pay off for them, because any serious effort by a big company to make a combat sim would dominate the small market.
Old January 20th, 2006, 12:33 PM

Major

I'd like to see something along the lines of the CM 3D model BUT with WinSPMBT's depth of OOB's. I could even go for the WE-GO type system CM uses.