This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 6th, 2005, 06:06 AM

Sergeant

CovertJaguar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: When You have it.......

Lol, my question was meant for Combat Wombat. You posted just before I did and I didn't see your post before I posted.
Old March 6th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road

Oh, Fyron won't immediately bash your furry little skull out (as being a wombat)... I had a small bout of Necromancy in my early days on the forum and all I got was a PM by Fyron asking me why I was necromancing. Musta done two or three threads then.

And why would you want to lift a pleasantly dead thread like this out of its dusty cellar and into the limelight?
Old March 6th, 2005, 09:21 AM

Brigadier General

Raging Deadstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
StrategiaInUltima said:
And why would you want to lift a pleasantly dead thread like this out of its dusty cellar and into the limelight?
Happens to Celebrities all the time
Old March 6th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Major General

Homo celebritus semisapiens.
English name: Celebrity.
Avg Height: May vary.
Avg Maximum Age: Unknown. Some specimens of H. celebritus semisapiens appear to be several centuries old, though unreported sightings speak of specimens several eons of age.
Unique Characteristics: H. celebritus semisapiens is the only life form so far capable of auto-necromancy, c.q. the revival of onseself out of dead form.
Sightings: Mainly on TV and in tabloids.
Old March 6th, 2005, 03:56 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Quote:
imperishable said:
I get a feeling this whole game is a very low budget program. There's not enough people working on the game, only 1 programmer I think. Is that right? anyone know? It sure would help to have a few graphics people work on the game. There was talk about the manuel, someone said that when the manuel comes out, it will be sold for 7 bucks, seperately from the game. They say it's just to cover publishing costs, not for profit.
Have we seen these guys since 2000?

Time warp ahead five years:

For a low budge, 1 guy operation, Malfador has managed to obtain the covitted title of King of 4x. This cheap little low budge game has ousted such heavy weight mosters as MOO3, and Gal Civ. This cheaply made, DOS looking program has been the reigning king of the 4x market now for nearly five years.
Old March 6th, 2005, 06:38 PM

Major General

One guy? Aaron? And DEG? What about him?
Old March 6th, 2005, 07:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

David had nothing to do with SE4. The graphics and sound for SE4/DO/SF/SE5 tend to be done by other people on contract, but the game itself is still made by just one person, Aaron Hall.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 6th, 2005, 08:37 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

Ok, to clarify,.. I did not do any graphics for SE4, (other than some intro screens for mods and other 'post' release stuff.) I did ALL the graphics in DO, and made the UI and graphics with a distinct 'retro' look. (One reviewer said the graphics in DO were 'dated' and 'retro'. Quite a compliment when you consider that's what I made. Too bad the reviewer didn't know he gave me a compliment.) For SF Aaron asked if I could add some texture to the dashboard, that's all I did for SF. And now for SE5, well, I've done alot of graphics, all the UI stuff, event pics, finale pics, etc, etc, etc. I also have the honor of being the 'Lead Artist' for SE5. You can't be a lead artist if I'm the only artist so yes this time around Aaron has hired a team of artists, working on ship models, components, facilities and myself on the UI (working closely with Aaron)

All I can say is that SE5 is miles ahead of SE4 and is a giant leap for Aaron. I would not however compare this game to other product out there that has a development budget of millions of dollars. I will say, the gameplay in SE5 is second to none.

but enough ranting, you'll all be able to judge for yourself soon enough, after all time flies when we're having fun, and there is still lots of fun to be had with SE4 and SF.

Cheers!
Old March 6th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
David E. Gervais said:
All I can say is that SE5 is miles ahead of SE4 and is a giant leap for Aaron. I would not however compare this game to other product out there that has a development budget of millions of dollars. I will say, the gameplay in SE5 is second to none.
So its playable already? Cool!
Old March 13th, 2005, 12:11 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

AMF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Atrocities said:
For a low budge, 1 guy operation, Malfador has managed to obtain the covitted title of King of 4x. This cheap little low budge game has ousted such heavy weight mosters as MOO3, and Gal Civ. This cheaply made, DOS looking program has been the reigning king of the 4x market now for nearly five years.
Absolutely. And, to be honest, the lack of a decent manual has, in a masochistic way, been part of the draw for me. I remember figuring out remote mining for the first time...it was a rush. And even today I find new things all the time...for a game that simulates exploring the cosmos, I think that's neat...in the same vein I hope that reseach in SE5 is not of the "you know exactly when it's going to finish and exactly what you'll get from it" variety like SE4.