.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 24th, 2003, 07:16 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road
Default Re: priests spells?

Tarrasque, I presume. There is no summon Tiamat spell.
Old September 24th, 2003, 07:27 PM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road

You are right, Tarrasque. Sorry.
Old September 24th, 2003, 07:31 PM

Lieutenant General

I think there is also Blessing of Tiamat global spell. Allows ALL units in the world to enter sea.
Old September 24th, 2003, 08:51 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Nope, the spell is called "Thetis Blessing", atleast in Dom I...

[ September 24, 2003, 19:56: Message edited by: Nerfix ]

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old September 24th, 2003, 10:03 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristoffer O:
thats a south france mythological monster by the way. If I recall well, it rampaged the countryside, then returned to his lair for several years.
Old September 24th, 2003, 10:13 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Pocus:
quote:
Originally posted by Kristoffer O:
thats a south france mythological monster by the way. If I recall well, it rampaged the countryside, then returned to his lair for several years.
And was finally lured into a city by a virgin of great faith and brutally slayed. Women - the bane of monsters.
Old September 24th, 2003, 10:14 PM

Lieutenant General

"It was the beaty that killed the monster"

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old September 24th, 2003, 10:16 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerfix:
Right again.
I wont be posting about spells before reading their correct names in the manual anymore.
Old September 24th, 2003, 10:18 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

you know what Daynarr? You are almost convincing! I think I will hold my opinion on this topic until I have played some thousands hours in doms II (roughly 2 weeks, yes I have a portable time distorter).

Quote:
Originally posted by Daynarr:
Misunderstandings happen, that’s why we can talk - so we can understand each other better.
Just don't take any of this as some sort of assault on you because it is not. I'm just trying to clarify this question since I'm able to see the end product and give you accurate info on some of its specifics.
Here we go.
You can help your troops tremendously if you cast some other spell as well. You have zounds of spells with earth magic that increases protection and magic resistance of troops, nature spells that improve both resistance and protection, fire spells that will hurt attackers (and do some major damage on the battlefield) etc. So I really miss a point here. Why would I rely on etherealness spells against Caelum if I know that Caelum weapons ignore it. I'll use some other protective spells and summons who are far more effective then seasonal spirits. All it requires is change of tactics and there are some even cheaper and better methods of protecting your troops. Etherealness is just one of possible protections (and not even most powerful because earth magic surpasses them by far in that area). So these weapons don't unbalance the game, they just make you use different tactic.
Thank for taking time to respond. In doms I, there was not much high quality protection spells which were castable by small mages. Body etheral is one of the most powerful, as it divides by 4 your chance to be hit against mundane troops, and it asked for a little astral 1 mage only. Then you had some earth spells which acted on a group, and then it moved to big spells which asked for much more expertise, like mass regeneration, or battle luck.

Early, to protect efficiently precious units, BE is the best. Now if you tell me that there is new possibilities, why not. I'm happy to know that most magical schools can now have protective spells (I include a fire shield dealing damage in this Category)

Quote:
I didn't point out a relationship between bypassing ethereal and drain, but relationship between Ulm and Caelum in which Ulm doesn't care about Caelum Ice weapons (they could use rocks and sticks for all they care with their armor), doesn't care about flyers who will only get killed faster with their weak protection and their only weakness being magic which DRAIN reduces significantly. Ulm and some other nations are perfect example how these weapons don't affect them and thus there is no reason to say they are "overpowered".
I suppose you are confident in what you say . In doms I, even in Drain 3, a group of high seraph would make short works of Ulm, even with the added 30% fatigue (or is it 60%? never mind, Ulm was creamed by a same gold cost Caelian army composed of mages).

Quote:
They have wingless who are no better then standard light infantry (hp 9 prot 10) and excel in only slightly greater morale. Temple guards are good but cost 20 gold and 43 RESOURCES and can be produced only in main castle. You won't see much of them simply because you cant produce lot of them. Also they have 18 protection in normal temperature that is nothing special comparing to other heavy infantries that can be produced both faster and in other castles as well. Their ground force is not so powerful as a result but at least they have it (don't get me wrong, they are good). And again you put an example against spirits, which are by far not the only summons or cheapest summons or most powerful summons. I don't know how it was in Dom I but here they don't play large role in battles. If there is major battle I will use more powerful summons like Tiamat, Kithironic Lions or swarm you with weaker cheaper units that don't consume supplies (magical or undead).
dunno if Temple Guards are weakened in Doms II, but they not only had a 18 prot, but also the blessing bonus, and a 13 or 14 natural defence. All of this added (with etheral bypassing) led to TG capable of butchering any other unit, same gold cost wise. Now that TG are limited to the capitol (or is to templed provinces?) then the problem will be lessened. But beware the numbers, with for example a mere 4 differential between attack and defence, you have either 80% of hitting your enemy, or 20% chance of being it by him. So the balance is fine tuned here, and TG with 24 prot (their armor in icy provinces) and 14 or more defences are really nasty.

Quote:
I think the problem with "misunderstanding" start somewhere here (bolded text). Where did you read that they are more potent? They just cost more so you can't swarm the battlefield with them and forces you to use other units, summons and spells in combat.[/QB]
exact. I browsed the thread, and Kristoffer said that spirits were costlier, but never spoke of being more powerful. My mistake.

Thanks again for the time.

[ September 24, 2003, 21:20: Message edited by: Pocus ]
Old September 24th, 2003, 10:20 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally posted by Daynarr:
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfix:
Right again.
I wont be posting about spells before reading their correct names in the manual anymore.

*EgoBoost catchet*
My precioussss EgoBoost!
I'm the 1337's lurker there ever was!

[ September 24, 2003, 21:21: Message edited by: Nerfix ]

- Kristoffer O.