This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 14th, 2005, 02:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

AngleWyrm is on a distinguished road
Default Starbases and Supplies

In the supply line on space stations, battle stations, etc, the supplies are listed as infinite.

I built a few in choice locations within the heart of a nebula, and along a long string of asteroid clusters. These weren't cheap, taking over almost two years to build and get a mobile shipyard to the location and build the starbase. Not to mention rather a lot of resources. And a lot of research. In fact, every way to charge the player has been implemented.

But ships don't seem to get any supplies my space stations. Am I designing them wrong, or is the game set up to prevent refuelling at starbases?

The main reason I wish to build resupply bases is because of the way supplies are used. Currently, there seem to be only two types of ship in my fleet. The kind that run out of gas in less than a year, and the kind that are self-sustaining.
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:59 PM

Major General

NullAshton is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Starbases and Supplies

You'd have to place the ships in a fleet with the starbase. In stock I believe, bases cannot be fleeted, therefore only they can use their own supplies. Sorry

Vala - "The last time I was this bored, I took hostages!"
Old March 14th, 2005, 04:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Those self-sustaining ships in your fleets will share supplies with the others. It is quite handy to build supply tankers that are filled with solar collectors and supply storage components.

If you wish to get bases joining fleets, you can edit the setting in Data\Settings.txt that controls this. It is towards the end. Make sure to do this in a custom mod folder, however, so as to preserve the original form of the data files. This is necessary for multiplayer play (unless everyone has the same mod, which should still be in a mod folder anyways), as well as handy to have a ready to use backup of the stock data just in case.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 14th, 2005, 04:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

AngleWyrm is on a distinguished road

An examination of fuel consumption and vessel range, as implemented in the Star Trek mod.

Each ship consumes supplies for it's core and nacelles for every square entered. All other consumption is ignored, except during combat weapons fire. This comes to between 100 and 130 supplies/square.
Code:

Warp
Tech Speed Uses PerTurn Years(scoop-3,3000store)
1 2 100 200 inf
2 3 100 300 inf
3 4 110 440 3.7
4 5 120 600 1.2
5 6 130 780 0.7
6 6 120 720 0.8
7 8 110 880 0.5
8 8 110 880 0.5
9 9 100 900 0.5
10 10 100 1000 0.4
11 11 100 1100 0.3
12 12 100 1200 0.3
13 13 100 1300 0.3

Currently, the maximum resupply technology (besides infinite) is 2xRam Scoop-III + 1xReplicator-III only allows for a refill rate of 410 supply/star.

This means that maximum sustainable speed through 1-star average space, if extensive research in resupply is spent, is Warp-2.

Most vessels have a storage capacity between 2000-5000 supplies. The operational range in turns of a vessel can therefore be calculated as the root of Storage - Turns x (PerTurn - Resupply) = 0.

The operational time in years in the last column are for a vessel with 3,000 supply storage, using Ram-Scoop-3, and where every system encountered has one star, average.
Old March 14th, 2005, 04:27 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

It helps to mention mods in the initial post.

The Star Trek Mod was designed to make supplies a major factor. In stock SE4, they are almost trivial...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.