.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:38 PM

Sergeant

DakaSha is on a distinguished road
Default OT - Strategy games with GOOD AI

Dominions 3 is of course the hands down best strategy game ever created but the ai is also hands down brain dead...

Does anybody know of a good strategy game with some good AI that i havnt heard of? I doubt it as i think ive played them all :P but one can never know...

I have played C-Evo which has some decent AI. just need an AI mod that uises everything.. (Seti is very very good for instance but no ships... hate that.. an ai that doesnt utilize everything)

Please do not say GalCiv... although decent and better than many that games ai is just not as good as its made out to be.. ive seen it do the most retarded stuff...

anything else??

Check out my first map: Sha Bay
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:30 AM

Sergeant

statttis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT - Strategy games with GOOD AI

Hate to dissapoint you, but GalCiv's AI is miles better than any other strategy game out there. If you want a smarter opponent than that you need to do multiplayer.
Old August 4th, 2009, 03:23 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Yeah I don't think I've ever seen an AI as good as galciv in a strategy game.
Old August 4th, 2009, 04:20 AM

Sergeant

DakaSha is on a distinguished road

as i said i think its waaaaaaay over hyped. im not saying its bad as AI's go... but its not really as good as everybody acts. ill try it again i suppose.. maybe i just had bad luck in my 50 games :P I'll report ^^

C-Evos ai seems better to me

Check out my first map: Sha Bay
Old August 4th, 2009, 05:16 AM

First Lieutenant

calmon is on a distinguished road

I've to agree with DakaSha i'm also not that satisfied with the GalCiv II AI. Like most games the AI has no "global plan" to defeat human. They always have sometimes really stupid weaknesses and i often ask myself do i just exploit the game when using more effective building/fleet combinations than AI does?

I gave it up to find a really good AI for pro-strategy players on turnbased games. Only other solution is to play MP (dominions like) or with some RTS elements.
Old August 4th, 2009, 05:27 AM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

Chessmaster 7000?
Old August 4th, 2009, 05:43 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakaSha View Post
...ill try it again i suppose.. maybe i just had bad luck in my 50 games :P I'll report ^^
Don't do it. It's a trap! One which I've fallen for many times in my attempts to force myself to like GalCiv II. I've easily spent over 200 hours on the game, and can't say I've enjoyed any of them if I'm honest.

I've come to the conclusion that you either like the game or you don't, and you either find the AI to be good or you don't (I find even the highest level to be very easy to beat personally). And this usually happens within the first few games you play. As at least in my experience, no amount of extra games or time (or money foolishly thrown at expansion packs) will ever change your impression after those initial games (ie. once you start winning all the time).

One of my biggest 'gaming' regrets in recent years is the amount of hours I've 'wasted' on Gal Civ II. And I'm not someone who considers 'gaming' to be a waste of time in any respect (like some people do). But it is a waste trying to like a game just because it is considered good by so many people. Even if it's a game you know in theory you should like, because you mostly always like all 'those type of games' (this latter point was always the bait that made me fall for the Gal Civ II trap repeatedly).

Not sure if I know of any good AI's for any strategy games. Although I find the CivIV AI to be better than most. At least I know I can't always beat the top AI level every time. Although that's almost entirely due to the bonuses it gets, so not really correct to say it's a 'good' AI I suppose.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calahan For This Useful Post:
Old August 4th, 2009, 05:50 AM

First Lieutenant

Agema is on a distinguished road

Try a computer chess game. They usually have good AIs.

All AIs have flaws, and any decent human will eventually spot those flaws and exploit them. My experience is generally that the more complex the game, the weaker the AI, so you could try looking for pretty simple games. It's often best looking for pretty hardcore gaming devs who mostly use internet dealing these days, as they tend to pay more attention to AI as it's more valuable to their customers than mass-market releases.

Some developer names I could suggest - although some do games where you only chuck troops around on a battlefield - with pretty good AIs I've experienced or had recommended are Gary Grigsby, SSG, Panther Games and AGEOD. Frankly, you should beat the AI on any of them as soon as you've got a hang of the game, but hopefully they'll keep you busy for a while.
Old August 4th, 2009, 08:20 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I just want to add I am in no way suggesting anyone plays galciv II - I had a similar experience to calahan - it seems like a good game but I just don't enjoy it. At all. It feels like running a spreadsheet.

Nor am I saying the AI is great. But it's better than any other PC strategy game AI I've seen.
Old August 4th, 2009, 08:38 AM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road

I far preferred galciv over galciv II. The ai's about as clever in both games but galciv is somewhat simpler and the ai seemed to handle the game better.
c-Evo is very easy to beat imo.