.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old December 9th, 2009, 12:15 PM

Private

nuNce is on a distinguished road
Default Paratroopers in the Pacific

Has anyone played this? Is it actually possible to win the first scenario?
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:00 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Paratroopers in the Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuNce View Post
Has anyone played this? Is it actually possible to win the first scenario?
It's been awhile.

I recall using a couple WACO's to drop in 2 Stuarts both miraculously survived the landing on the small clearing LZ, but alot para got hung-up in the jungle and suffered casualties.

The Stuarts weren't necessary (actually HT's or even a jeep would have worked just as well) but helped in the end to capture the last flags as the amount of turns is low.

Don't want to give away too much and be a spoiler

Last edited by gila; December 9th, 2009 at 09:08 PM..
Old December 10th, 2009, 07:19 AM

Private

I actually bought only the suggested forces, so a company of paras. I didn't make it to the village, even if running at full speed. The only way may be to run a disorganized group of soldiers into the village, but then what's the purpose of playing such a map?

Also, I've started the second scenario, and it gets even worse. You have to attack a village, closing by in trees (so you get 2 hex movement at best), on a slope (the village is lower from your starting position). The problem is that even if it's marked as a Meeting Engagement, after the 2nd turn the Japs control almost all the VHs. You engage them under heavy MG and sniper fire, not to mention that you are supposed to engage them from distance where your fire is almost uneffective against the iron forged Japanese troops.
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:05 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,444 Times in 2,699 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Just curious....

When you say "Is it actually possible to win the first scenario?" are you refering to a decisive victory.....or any anything above draw ?

Don
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:34 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Back on land so had a quick go at, as you are new to the game screen shot of turn 3 situation. I droped in direction the 2 gliders are facing as in from the South West. Bought Howitzer Jeep glider section for arty support & as Gila said looking at the distance to far flags would not make it in time, plus 12 aircraft. Landed with no resistance & quickly killed all but one Jap LMG squad by the end decisive victory. Key to Paras is land in open terrain never woods rough slopes etc as you will get landing injuries, I had 2 units drift off & lost 2 men on landing because of it. The other thing is till you get Paras organised which you never really get time for use smoke they have lots. If shot at dont fire back smoke & move people up so outnumber next turn unless you can already engage with multiple units. Use your Baz teams to go for the flags tanks are unlikely so the rest can do the fighting. Without the jeep would not have got flags furthest East but would still have been a victory score was 285-21 would have got 50 or 60 less is all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turn 3.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	9118  
Old December 10th, 2009, 02:48 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Just curious....

When you say "Is it actually possible to win the first scenario?" are you refering to a decisive victory.....or any anything above draw ?

Don
I mean get more than a draw.

I always buy suggested core forces, so I didn't get any jeeps. Also, running for the flag with a bazooka team makes no tactical or strategical sense to me in a real history contest. I don't understand why scenario designers keep making maps with a timespan that doesn't allow any manouver except rushing forward. I love long lasting maps, where meeting and consequent manouvering (even large ones, taking 8-10 turns to complete, are possible. I always keep my platoons in formation 2 up, or 1 up if I'm scouting. So my bazooka teams and MGs are always in the back. I never, if not absolutely necessary, separate my units, and if I have a company I apply the same principle to the platoons.

PS: I've bought C-47s for the job, not gliders.
Old December 10th, 2009, 07:36 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

You can adjust game length in the editor but for a para drop seemed about right. Dropped with little resistance so rush to take the village so you can hold it vs reinforcements. I would think all battles in this campaign will be short to emphasise that unless you start on the ground. Core was Para Co as suggested but ample support points for the howitzer though did not need it or hit anything with it Bought gliders for it as seemed more right than dropping out of a plane like the rest did.
Old December 11th, 2009, 04:06 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,444 Times in 2,699 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

None of the campaigns are designed to give nothing but decisive victories all the time. What they are designed to do is offer a challenge to players of all skill levels and that means new players will struggle more than experienced ones but experienced players will still be challenged. The scenarios are, by and large, designed not to be walkovers either.

Don
Old December 11th, 2009, 08:28 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

I made this campaign...
...back in 2004.

If you think the first scenario is frustrating the others will be worse, especially the Hill 670 scenario(s). You can edit the build/repair points and air sorties, but not much else. If you need to I recommend you do it. If the campaign gets you worked up, abort it.
Old December 11th, 2009, 08:40 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Also, I've started the second scenario, and it gets even worse. You have to attack a village, closing by in trees (so you get 2 hex movement at best), on a slope (the village is lower from your starting position). The problem is that even if it's marked as a Meeting Engagement, after the 2nd turn the Japs control almost all the VHs. You engage them under heavy MG and sniper fire, not to mention that you are supposed to engage them from distance where your fire is almost uneffective against the iron forged Japanese troops.
Quote:

I never, if not absolutely necessary, separate my units, and if I have a company I apply the same principle to the platoons.

PS: I've bought C-47s for the job, not gliders.
You mention the second battle.

In that one it would be advisable to split your forces or else the japanese will have a reserve from the south or north (depending your main attack) to stop your advance.

Just my opinion