.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 29th, 2008, 03:02 PM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT, Stardock\'s MOM influenced game news

Quote:
lch said:
How is this news? There's info on this since almost four years now. http://www.masterofmagic2.com/

I've visiting this site on a regular basis. They did mention that stardock wanted to buy MOM rights from ATARI and that the negotiations blew up for some reason. Then sometime 2k7 the gave some more details about stardock developing a MOMish like game but the information I saw in AOW-SM forum was completely new to me.

Quote:

Give it time and see what they come up with. They already said half a year ago that they are not going to produce a Master of Magic 2, but something with influences from MOM, Populous and X-Com *. They didn't buy the MOM license. There are already quite a number of MOM-inspired games.

Actually, I've stumbled over Dominions only because I was looking for a MOM substitute and neither Age of Wonders nor Spellforce nor Heroes of Might and Magic or whatever else I tried was really getting it right. There's half a dozen clone projects that stopped more or less halfway through the design phase, too. And incidentally, I've played a MOM game the whole of yesterday in DosBox, for old times sake. (I pretty much unlearned to play it effectively in hard mode)

Funny I stumbled over Dominions on the same circumstances as you
And I was also following the progress of many clone projects, none of which too successful or even halfway complete. An exception may be Leylines (not exactly a MOM clone but similar nonetheless)

Quote:

But I think now that MOM had its time and it has long since gone past. There will be other games similar to it, but they won't be a 100% adaptation. So give it a rest and just look if those other games are maybe good in their own regard.

Hey I fully agree, I've "buried" MOM two years ago and accepted the fact that MOM-II will never happen. This after many years of anxiously waiting and after signing protest letters etc.
A good example is dominions, its not a MOM clone at all. It is IMHO however currently the best TBS fantasy game in existence.

Now, having played stardock's Galciv games I can attest that they are *excellent* TBS games and if their new fantasy game will be anywhere as good as those then its guaranteed to be top notch.

[/quote]
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Second Lieutenant

sector24 is on a distinguished road

I'm definitely looking forward to Stardock taking a shot at a fantasy game, but the quote in the first post is SO generic. You really can't read anything into it other than they want cool stuff in their game. (And who doesn't?)

I think Dominions 3 has supplanted the desire to play MoM for me. The only thing I really miss is the RPG feeling of MoM that Dominions lacks. For instance all the "goodie huts" in MoM. I would like to see independent commanders with construction 0 and 2 items much more often, maybe random events that give a commander an experience bonus for some kind of adventure or side quest, etc. General events that get you interested in your commanders.
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:13 PM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

haha.

i see so many people talking about how Dom3 filled in their cravings for another MoM (no Freudian double entendres intended).

That's exactly how I found Dom3. I am a long time MoM fan, and was cruising the internet, searching forums and game sites, looking for a game like MoM. Dom3 hit the spot.
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

B0rsuk is on a distinguished road

WraithLord, have there been any news about possible Linux version ? Any official response? Given Stardock's past behaviour and other projects, it's unlikely. But it's still possible. Do they at least say what technologies they're going to use ? I mean stuff like Dx10 .

Stardock's Galactic Civilisations 2 gets 'Bronze' rating in Wine, meaning it works, but with some glitches. The most significant of them is inability to patch the game.
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=4493
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:37 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

If this actually turns out to be a good game I would cry (but just a little) if it isn't linux compatible.
Old March 1st, 2008, 06:29 AM

General

According to what I know so far (from browsing the GalCiv forums, MOM2 rally point and AOW forums) and according to Stardock's legacy (Developer of MS Win. Desktop utils.) I highly doubt they'll make a Linux version of the game. I think they might consider that if they discern that its a very much wanted feature by the fans.

I've read somewhere a comment by Brad implying the new game will use DX and will be compatible with v. 10 and also older versions.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 06:41 AM

Sergeant

Beorne is on a distinguished road

btw, someone heard something about this turn based fantasy game: "Fantasy Wars"?
http://www.fantasywars-thegame.com/index_uk.html
Old March 3rd, 2008, 06:51 AM

General

I've read several reviews of this game. It looks to be quite a generic orcs/humans/elves games. From what I've read about the races they seem to be balanced using the common, yet much hated by me, method of equalizing.

For me, I think I'll wait until I find this game in a bargain bin and play a bit with it but I don't expect to have it really capture my interest.

The game graphics are solid and quite up to date but then again in a TBS game graphics are, at best, a secondary consideration for me
Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:00 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

FantasyWars should at least win some award for the number of typos on its front page.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:27 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
llamabeast said:
FantasyWars should at least win some award for the number of typos on its front page.
It's a joint venture of french and russian companies, it seems, what do you expect?
Emergency comic relief