.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old January 11th, 2009, 05:16 PM

Corporal

gingertanker is on a distinguished road
Default Pillar of Fire

Ok here it is. I think its not quite right yet i want someone to test it a little. Israel assault Vs Egypt Defend.
Attached Files
File Type: zip spscn203.zip (55.0 KB, 223 views)
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:40 AM

Sergeant

cbreedon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pillar of Fire

This was a good one. I got a marginal victory. A couple more turns and I think I would have been good. I had the town surrounded and was beginning to enter when the game ended. My paras did very well but I ran out of missles otherwise I think I could have taken out most of the vehicles.

I was confident that it was going to be a cake walk at that point, then I lost my commander to a mine and their artillery started to rain down. It took a couple of turns to regain the attack.

I really liked it although I wish the Merkavas had been 3's with thermal imaging. I could have take the town. Oh well you have to work with what you have :-)

Nice work

Kol Hakavod Tzahal
The Following User Says Thank You to cbreedon For This Useful Post:
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:17 PM

Corporal

Quote:
My paras did very well but I ran out of missles otherwise I think I could have taken out most of the vehicles.
That was sort of the point. If you had 2 more missiles per ATGM team you could destroy the entire Egyptian force.

Quote:
I really liked it although I wish the Merkavas had been 3's with thermal imaging. I could have take the town. Oh well you have to work with what you have :-)
As the scenario briefing mentions, the situation is one where the IDF lost most of its front line tanks. I actually considered Using Magach 7s, but i decided the Mk2 are old enough.

Thanks so much for responding, I really like to see how other people like my wierd tactical situations...
Old January 14th, 2009, 01:58 AM

Sergeant

cbreedon is on a distinguished road

I was thinking about your scenario. Maybe you should have the tanks come a bit sooner. I think I had about 4 turns or so where I just hit the next turn button. My paras were out of missles and I didn't want to engage my small force against unknown Egyptians in the town. Also once the armor arrives it takes 3 or 4 turns to travel up the road and engage.
Just my thoughts... Anyway thanks for your time in making this scenario.
Craig
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:56 AM

Corporal

Yes I think you arre right about the timings, as its very hard to get a decisive victory this way(you just run out of time).
Old January 16th, 2009, 06:18 PM

Corporal

ok. I gave the tanks an earlier arrival, so it should be better now.

almost 100 views on this thread, and only one person told me what he thinks of the scenario...I see 3 options:
1) no one has time to play my scenario...
2)people played it, think it sucks, and dont want to tell me.
3)People played it and liked it and dont bother telling me.

Ok, I know this sounds needy and lame, but i really want your opinions on this secnario. if its good, great. if its bad, why? how can i make it better?
Attached Files
File Type: zip spscn203.zip (55.0 KB, 175 views)
Old January 16th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Captain

Skirmisher is on a distinguished road

Steel Panthers players are a casual lot. Most people are just looking at the posts. I'll tell you what,I'm going to download it. I'll have concrete opinions on it for you within 48 hrs.(possibly sooner)

I downloaded the file from your last post. That's the correct one right?
You may want to re number the file with a higher number,as it attempts to overwrite a stock scenario.

Last edited by Skirmisher; January 16th, 2009 at 06:32 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Skirmisher For This Useful Post:
Old January 16th, 2009, 06:55 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Steel Panthers players are a casual lot. Most people are just looking at the posts
yeah, i know, sorry for being a whiner.

next scenario i make i will noumber it higher.
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:29 AM

Corporal

Koh is on a distinguished road

Ok I gave it a go. I managed to pretty much take out most of the enemy tanks with the ATGMs and I let my artillery take out their artillery. When my main force arrived I advanced under the cover of heavy smoke screens. I kept my sappers on the point and they cleared the way under as much smoke I could use. I ended up with pretty low casualties on the main attack body, but most of my ATGM teams were taken out by either enemy artillery, air strikes or late game enemy counter attacks. I hate not being able to retreat units off the top or bottom. I got a pretty solid marginal victory with scores in the range of 10 000 vs 3000.

So what did I think of the scenario? Well, it was pretty nice actually. Usually I don't bother finishing desert scenarios as they tend to be awfully dull. This one, however managed to combine small unit action with tanks roaring in the desert and finally urban combat. I like it when scenarios have some variety. So yeah, pretty solid work.

The only complaint I really have was that the Israelis had no AA resources. Admittedly I'm not familiar with the Israeli doctrine but I would assume an armored spearhead of this size would have at least something to keep the hostile airplanes away. At times I was forced to watch Egyptian planes strafe my advancing tanks unopposed.

Overall, however, I'd say this scenario was well above average and probably the most interesting one I've played this month. What really made the difference here was the diversity of the different phases of the scenario.

- Koh

Edit: oh yeah and my 4.0 version of the game doesn't have any stock scenarios in slot 203. They end at 199

Last edited by Koh; January 17th, 2009 at 12:37 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Koh For This Useful Post:
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Corporal

Quote:
but most of my ATGM teams were taken out by either enemy artillery, air strikes or late game enemy counter attacks. I hate not being able to retreat units off the top or bottom
yes i considered giving them helicopters for exfiltration, but i thought the helis would probably be shot down, so its better for them to sit down and wait for the main body.

Quote:
The only complaint I really have was that the Israelis had no AA resources. Admittedly I'm not familiar with the Israeli doctrine but I would assume an armored spearhead of this size would have at least something to keep the hostile airplanes away. At times I was forced to watch Egyptian planes strafe my advancing tanks unopposed.
Knowing the IDFs AA capabilities, I would say it is (unfortunatly) quite realistic to say that notevery unit enjoys attached AA. The IDF relies on IAF to clear the skies of enemy aircraft, and in this case I wanted to show a situation where this dosent work...Im sure the Egyptians had a much harder time with your F16, even though they do have AA assets.

Quote:
Overall, however, I'd say this scenario was well above average and probably the most interesting one I've played this month. What really made the difference here was the diversity of the different phases of the scenario.
Thank you very much for these kind words.