.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old January 13th, 2007, 04:29 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MP Forum Grand Prix ranking

Twan, I suspect your ranking system won't work that well, there are few games, but many players, so I'm guessing you'll end up with a pretty short list of winners with very high scores, and then a much longer list of zeroes

Personally, I don't really like ranked games, since I play for fun, not to win or prove myself or earn some title, and I also don't like seeing what some people turn into if they win too much, or try too hard to win.
When games are ranked, you have a tendency to get arrogant winners, and angry losers, and sometimes a few "explosions" as well ["You caused me to lose that game! Now I won't be #1! *roar* I'll hunt you down like a dog!" etc. or on the other hand "Your opinion doesn't count, you only have a score of 20 (loser)"].

Though that's just my opinion
Old January 13th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

^^ I agree with your opinion. I cringe at theought of inflated egos such a system could produce. Such a ranking system would only work for 1 v 1 games anyway I think because diplomacy plays such a large role in the bigger MP games.

I would expect that you would find scores all over the place depending on who was part of a stronger alliance during their games.

On top of that, a ranking system would make certain players more visible if they had a high score. That may cause lower ranked players to gang up on that player in larger MP games to eliminate the "threat" early.
Old January 13th, 2007, 04:58 PM

Captain

Twan is on a distinguished road

I don't think anyone will give it as much importance as you think (it's not like an official system or one in which you may win something) and will stop if it creates a bad ambiance. But as there will anyway be threads about most dangerous players and occasionnal bragging contests among veterans in the middle of other discussions... I just see as a good idea to keep trace of the real results (of course the list of winners will be short, but if there will be just 5 or 6 players winning all the games it's anyway good to know when you play with them).

ps : diplomacy is of course a large part of the "winning a mp game with more than 2 players" skill, but is only balanced if all players know who are the best ones
Old January 13th, 2007, 06:02 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

What's wrong with diplomacy? If people come into games with preformed alliances - well, that isn't cricket. On the other hand, negotiating with the other players is a legitimate component of any multiplayer game.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old January 13th, 2007, 06:49 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Also most games are played on small maps set to blitz settings and player-kill-player victories. Because more of those games can be played in the same time period, those games would have the most answers available. Since those games create a game where certain nations and strategies have advantages, I would hate to have people think that the rating reflected an overall rating of all players.

Other than that, its interesting to see the lists.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 13th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Dr, I don't think there is anything wrong with diplomacy. I just feel that it has such a huge impact on multiplayer games what is the point of a tournament? The winners would be the ones who negotiated the best alliances.

And as players started winning games and gaining "points", it might become difficult for them to play multiplayer dominions because people might not make alliances with them that they would have otherwise, because of tournament standings.

I just feel a ranking system might have adverse effects on future MP games. It's all fine and good to say that when your playing a game of Dominions, you treat the pretender different than the player, but more than likely, players will be judged by their rankings and standings, and in game decisions may be affected by that.
Old January 14th, 2007, 01:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

FrankTrollman is on a distinguished road

Deleted
Old January 16th, 2007, 01:08 PM

Sergeant

tibbs is on a distinguished road

I myself don't think I should be on the list. I never really played dom2 and I am only on my 7th multiplayer game of dom3. I haven't even used many of the spells.

I would say my strongest aspect is the diplomacy side of the multiplayer game. Which I think is just as important or more so than any other part of the game.

Thanks for the nomination though.
Old January 16th, 2007, 05:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

Manuk is on a distinguished road

I vote for Quantum mechanics.
I remember from dom2 also

Yellow Cactus
Boron
Aku
Zapmeister
Jurri