.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old February 2nd, 2007, 06:49 PM

First Lieutenant

jutetrea is on a distinguished road
Default So does anyone run games over TCP/IP?

See quite a few people running PBEM games (actually in 2 myself and it seems to work well), but never see network games?

Too slow? Too clunky? What have the problems been? Can the server ever be shut down? i.e. can you play for 2-4 hours, shut it down and rejoin the next day?

I'm thinking of getting 4-5 people + 5 or 6 AI for weekend games (friends from home I'm trying to convince to pick it up), but the apparent lack of them makes me think something might be wrong.

Any info?
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:00 PM

Colonel

Velusion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: So does anyone run games over TCP/IP?

There are quite a bit of TCP/IP games run - they are easier than PBEM if you have the resources. I run two myself...
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:06 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

I'm running 3. There are some administration issues - I wouldn't use one of the machines at work - and, at least on windows, it uses rather strangely a lot of memory to run text-based-mode, but overall the system resource requirements are negligible.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:27 PM

Colonel

Quote:
DrPraetorious said:
I'm running 3. There are some administration issues - I wouldn't use one of the machines at work - and, at least on windows, it uses rather strangely a lot of memory to run text-based-mode, but overall the system resource requirements are negligible.
Yea... its strange. I found out two instances run best in windows (uses less memory & CPU) as a graphical server minimized to the task bar.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 08:52 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Sheap hosts TCP/IP games pretty regularly for people.

Personally I will not play in an MP game unless its TCP/IP.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:08 PM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

Also, many folks will run a short term server game for an afternoon blitz. In fact, the blitzes organized among the folks in the IRC channel are almost always on a short term server host.

Pasha
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

All of the games run on my server are tcp/ip

I wouldnt mind running pbem since I could run many more of them than I can tcp/ip off the same machine. But automating is a larger project than Ive been interested in tackling.

Basically tcp/ip is preferable for everyone, player and host alike. The only drawbacks are firewall/security headaches, load on your machine and broadband usage, and the fact that you cant run very many of them at the same time.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:38 PM

First Lieutenant

jutetrea is on a distinguished road

Well cool, still a noob so bear with the Q's:

What's a blitz? I'm assuming buffed start, but anywhere to find details?

Where are these games listed? Are they invite only or open as most of the PBEM games seem to be?

How long will a game generally run? Standard I'm assuming can take 10-20+ hours, how bout a blitz?

Can these games be left and rejoined?

How do they run on dual core machines, 1 core each game or more?

Just got the game a bit ago, loving it... been playing nonstop and i'v only tried like 7 nations.

Just started 2 PBEM games and they seem way way slow. Possibly if I jump in 10-12 games to get my normal couple of hours "fix"..but it seems like a big hassle.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:05 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

A blitz is a regular game that is played start to finish in a single session. They are played in a pick-up fashion via the Dominions IRC channel. Can last anywhere from 2-3 hours for a duel to 4-6+ hrs for a larger FFA (free for all) game.

TCP/IP games are listed here in the MP forum. Just look at the game thread - if it has a server and port listed, then its a TCP/IP game. Most of them are public. To sign up for one you find a game thread that is "Open" and post to thread saying that you would like to play as some nation or other.

TCP/IP games are played in basically the same fashion as PBEM and usually run about 2-3 months. They usually generate at a pace of: 1 turn every 24hrs. Tho some games have slower paces or slow the pace down as the game progresses, due to increased complexity of the turns as your empire grows.

No, you can't really leave and rejoin an MP game. Particularly in a blitz where everyone will be waiting on you to play your turn. If you dont think you can keep your commitment to a game going, you should find a substitute.

10 MP games at once is complete overload unless you play your turns with reckless abandon. Most players I know will play in one MP game until they die or reach the mid-game stage. At that point they begin a new MP on the side figuring that thier current game will complete before the new game reachs mid-game or later. Some people play more or less, simultaneously - it boils down to personal preference and time availability.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:14 PM

Colonel

Quote:
jutetrea said:
Just started 2 PBEM games and they seem way way slow. Possibly if I jump in 10-12 games to get my normal couple of hours "fix"..but it seems like a big hassle.
All games start out seeming very slow. Keep in mind if you manage to get into the late game your turns could take up to 1-2 hours each every day!

If you have a LOT of free time you might be able to do 5 - but 10 would be crazy!