.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 19th, 2008, 06:57 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road
Default Re: You can't complain that this game is costly

Okay you win Jazzepi. I was only using an example though, we've both just gone OT debating soemething that really doesn't matter.
Old September 19th, 2008, 07:59 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Jazzepi is the win! \o/

And Dom3 still isn't costly.
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:22 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

A common lament. And I would believe it.
Except for all of the (musicians, programmers, artists, etc) who say they will break the mold, start an effort on their own, and end up in the same boat or fail. I cant quite figure that they all just joined the conspiracy.

Have you ever read the story of Shrapnel?

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:54 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
A common lament. And I would believe it.
Except for all of the (musicians, programmers, artists, etc) who say they will break the mold, start an effort on their own, and end up in the same boat or fail. I cant quite figure that they all just joined the conspiracy.

You don't have to join a conspiracy, to get bought out by one. Musicians, by and large, have absolutely 0 say and 0 sway in their own industry. They want to succeed? Well, they sign with the major label that will promote them. Most successful bands that you know these days that have their own label - why, they got their break with a major label, and they were just very savvy, saved up their money, finished their contract, and made it out on their own. Most artists get locked into the corporate machine, and never manage to break free. Same with game makers. Sure, maybe some of the developers who are distributed through Shrapnel support themselves with their software sales - but I doubt very many at all. If they want their games to pay the bills, they join a studio. And again, most of them never get out of that trap.

Part of why Shrapnel succeeds in the way that it does, is there is little pressure. They can serve the long term interests of their developers, as well as the interests of their players. By the same token, you could make some recordings of you and your banjo, belting out old Elvis tunes (shudder), but regardless of whether or not you find a way to make that project "successful", it'll never support you. To make a living at it, you pray someone finds you, and gives you the tools that you can't come up with by yourself.

I would be a fool to say that our JK and KO are quite unique in their programming abilities. Granted, they are very rare indeed, but what is more rare is their ability to see a project of this size through to completion. There are a million programmers out there who could make a good game (at least, a good -niche- game), but who don't have the stamina to ever complete anything even close to this size and scope.

So, the industry preys on both ends, you see. They prey on the producer, and they prey on the consumer. Like any corporation, they become voracious and entirely self absorbed. And that's why Shrapnel is different, because it isn't a "corporation" per se (I don't know if they actually are incorporated, though I doubt it), and so it still retains some measure of humanity, and along with it the understanding that managing your resources can give greater yields than devouring them.

Whew.

<3
Old September 20th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Sorry but Ive been involved in both marketing industries (music and game) and I have to disagree. From the outside it would appear that there are no choices except the big boys but that is not at all true. There are levels anywhere from free to major contracts in both markets. All of the options have their pros and cons. None are automatic failure (or automatic wealth) so its up to the individual which way they want to jump. Any of the methods make money, but going with the major contractors is the way to make LOTS of money. So if that was the choice of the artist/developer then you cant really knock the tactics.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)