World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old June 20th, 2002, 06:29 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rumours, Suggestions, Features on the Next Update

Quote:
Originally posted by geoschmo:
This is just my opinion, but I think all the problems with balancing the missles come from making them available at game start, but not allowing point defense until after a lot of research. With SEIII missles come around about the same time as PDC, so you can make them tougher to kill without making them impossible to beat early on.

So either require some research to get to missles, or allow some weak form of point defense early on. Then you can do a better job of balancing them so they Last longer without throwing the early game so terribly out of whack.

Reasonable?

Geoscho
Or have a smaller class of missiles available at first and make the CSM start a few levels up the tech tree. If missiles do less damage per hit then they will not be so unbalancing even without PDC to counter-act them.

I've always thought that armor should be available right away, at least basic armor. How hard is it to make steel armor if you've got steel for ships? Then put emissive armor and other 'fancy' stuff further up the tech tree where it belongs.

[ June 20, 2002, 17:33: Message edited by: Baron Munchausen ]
Old June 20th, 2002, 06:36 PM

Sergeant

Jmenschenfresser is on a distinguished road

I think the of giving missles simulated evasion is easily accomlished by shortening the range of PD. Just say that only in the Last two sectors before hitting a target are the missles on a "direct" path. Before that they spiral, zag and loop around making them impossible to hit.

To me there is no realism if a barage of 20 missles are launch and none get through. If PD reaches one square, two at max, then point of defense is really a local thing. No more PD ships covering your entire fleet.

Which brings up another gripe I have been harboring, which pertains largely to missle attacks, but to all attacks as well using beams.

I would like the options to give my ships a spread or covering fire order...where they would divide up their shots or missles between as many targets as their trackers allow. At present, trackers don't really add much to strategic combat, unless your volley destroys a ship. After being able to track 2 ships, three if you are facing an inferior opponent, they become a bit worthless. With this order you could tell a missle ship or WP to launch its missles at multiple targets.

Don't you hate seeing your WPs launching 30 missles at one ship...or seeing the AI do it. Would be a good thing to have in conjunction with high damage weapons: null-space, PPB (if your opponent doesn't have phased shields), psychic sigularity thing, engine damaging.

Think about it...a lvl 5 tracking device and five null-space cannons. With luck you could reduce five ships to one movement in one turn.
Old June 20th, 2002, 08:50 PM

First Lieutenant

jimbob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
or allow some weak form of point defense early on. Then you can do a better job of balancing them so they Last longer without throwing the early game so terribly out of whack.
I think that flak was introduced in one mod... was it Ultimate?? Can't remember, but I thought it was a good idea. I'm thinking of making an "in house" mod for some guys I play hotseat with, and I'm going to add flak for WeapPlatforms and blister packs for Ships/Bases. Available in maybe 3 levels, all Point Defense. The first level will be available right at the start.

I'm also going to add a type of shield that requires NO research... and the game will still be balanced! I remember some board game from eons ago in which one of the shield systems was just the expulsion of huge volumes of water. It didn't provide a great amount of protection, but did defract beam weapons to a small degree and decreased chances to hit for incoming fire due to the defracting image of the defender. So I'm making a component that has these properties, but that uses a whole heck of a lot of supplies to do it. It will be outclassed by shields and ECM quite early though.

I'm also thinking of decreasing the accuracy of all weapons by 20% across the board to make ships harder to hit in the early game and fighters in the later game (there is a recent thread regarding this and weapon mounts).

And then the new patch... oh the possibilites.

The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas.
-Linus Pauling
Take away paradox from the thinker and you have a professor.
-Søren Kierkegaard
Old June 21st, 2002, 04:09 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

DavidG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Baron Munchausen:
Heh... yeah, I suppose the biggest fault in the UI is the lack of wheel- mouse support. Once you get used to it, it's really frustrating trying to use a computer without it.
Well after recently trying to add wheel mouse support in my modding program I think implementing this is really really really frustrating!! Can you say CRASH CRASH CRASH!

One think that would really nice, which someone else mentioned in another thread, is the ability so see what was in a system the Last time you had a ship in it.
Old June 21st, 2002, 08:15 AM

First Lieutenant

Nodachi is on a distinguished road

There have been some interesting points regarding missiles and PD in this thread. Here's what I've done in the mod I'm working on:
  • Missile II - Less damage, slower, and less resistant.
  • Missile III - Stock SEIV
  • Missile IV - More damage, faster, more resistant.
  • Missile V - More damage, faster, more resistant.
I've changed PD so it is available after Missile III, no other prerequesite. I think this balances out better.
Also in the name of balance I added Shields III or IV (I can't remember off the top of my head ) as a prerequesite for PPB. To me it just makes more sense, you shouldn't have the solution (PPB) before you encounter the problem (shields).
Just my little bit of rambling,
Nodachi
Edit: I'd kill for spell-check!

[ June 21, 2002, 07:19: Message edited by: Nodachi ]
Old June 21st, 2002, 09:09 AM

Private

Marvin Kosh is on a distinguished road

Oh, btw, one thing I thought of, but probably would take a bit of time to do, is.... how about if you could arrange war games with an ally, as an alternative to just sitting your ships above a Fleet/Ship Training facility? The increase you get from war games would really be dependant on how your ships performed, which would be fair enough.

Is that too open to abuse, do you think, or wopuld it actually add something cool when you get to a point where you have no enemies on the horizon but don't want to slit your buddy's throat in case you need him later on?

I have no idea how you would put it in, though, never mind how well it fits.
Old June 21st, 2002, 05:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

CW is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Marvin Kosh:
Oh, btw, one thing I thought of, but probably would take a bit of time to do, is.... how about if you could arrange war games with an ally, as an alternative to just sitting your ships above a Fleet/Ship Training facility? The increase you get from war games would really be dependant on how your ships performed, which would be fair enough.

Is that too open to abuse, do you think, or wopuld it actually add something cool when you get to a point where you have no enemies on the horizon but don't want to slit your buddy's throat in case you need him later on?

I have no idea how you would put it in, though, never mind how well it fits.
Just my humble opinion, but it doesn't seem very fitting for a strategic game like this...

Go ahead and wipe your neighbour out! I'm sure his planets will serve you better than your neighbour himself!
Old June 22nd, 2002, 07:20 AM

Private

Marvin Kosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by CW:
Go ahead and wipe your neighbour out! I'm sure his planets will serve you better than your neighbour himself!
I know.... I was being pretty silly about the idea of there not being a war on the horizon either. It's just, especially with human players, doesn't it make sense to an ally you can count on when the chips are down i.e. you're getting your butt kicked major-style by some guy who opened a warp point on your system and just poured his entire fleet through.

I also don't like the idea of wasting time researching stuff when an ally has it much higher and we can trade for it

I guess it's just me, I'm not that bloodthirsty...
Old June 22nd, 2002, 09:25 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

dumbluck is on a distinguished road

umm, about this whole no supply/no weapons firing thing. How does this apply to satellites? Do you need supply storage on sats to get them to fire? If so, how do you resupply them? IIRC, sats can't be added to fleets, so...
Old June 22nd, 2002, 09:56 AM

Second Lieutenant

CW is on a distinguished road

No, sats don't need supplies to fire. Or rather, they are like bases and have unlimited supplies.