Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old June 22nd, 2002, 01:21 AM

Private

Marvin Kosh is on a distinguished road
Default Finite Resource Games

Hey guys,

I remember someone commenting about whether anyone used the Finite Resource setting for games. Well, I had a go of it just with a few AIs, and that. I actually messed it up because I selected the setting after generating the map, so my HW (and those of the AI) had 2MT of Min, Org, Rad, while all the other planets had like 1KT and that was it But I fixed that.

What I did realise was that this would maybe make you re-think setting up a whole bunch of mineral miners on a loaded planet, because naturally enough it'll run out faster, though in a time of crisis you can up the number to support increased production.

One trick I realised would be handy would be to set up a lot of storage, and when you've exhausted a planet's resources you can scrap the facilities into your fund of resources, and then set up even more storage tanks (or research/intel, whatever you prefer).

It might also be an idea to build an ultra-recycler III on each decent-sized planet, so that when you recycle you get the maximum amount back out.
Old June 22nd, 2002, 01:55 AM

Second Lieutenant

CW is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Finite Resource Games

When was the Last time I scrapped something?
Old June 22nd, 2002, 07:09 AM

Private

Marvin Kosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Taera:
12 players? thats a little too much.
May i suggest 6 players each with their own star cluster where the map and player placement will be created by a non-player moderator?
Yeah, I was just saying that as a for-instance

Anyone wanna go to PBW and set this up? I would myself except I'm new to the whole SE4 on-line thing and I'm ignorant to some of the things players like or don't like in their settings. Something original, surely, but how am I supposed to know what hasn't been tried a thousand times already?

So do you guys think Religious has an advantage on a finite Resources map? It's a whole lot of points, worth it though from what I'm reading here and other places.
Old June 22nd, 2002, 06:05 PM

Colonel

Taera is on a distinguished road

2Marvin: no idea, new too. hehe.

shrines and VI do stack. thats for those realy big mining planets. Religious is quite the powerful when used on finite resources maps, but then again there is the Solar Generator from Crystallurgy that generates resources for free...
Old June 22nd, 2002, 07:46 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

VIs stack with other VIs as well.
If you felt like it, you could fill up a huge planet with VI3's and get 75% more resources (almost double!) your resource value every ten turns.

At one point, solar generators were depleting the planet's resources, but it was fixed in v1.59
Old June 23rd, 2002, 03:53 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Finite resources on PBW can be pretty interesting. There are meaningful trade-offs between the time and investment needed to get sustainable production, and just draining a planet dry. Trade income and storage become more important. I would say that Religious should probably cost a little more in a finite resources game, and would tend to recommend High or at least Medium research costs. Maintenance reduction ability is also massively important.

PvK