This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old July 29th, 2002, 07:19 PM

Private

Marvin Kosh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Whence Your Moniker?

Ah, mine is the wholly unfortunate cross between Marvin the Martian (Duck Dodgers in the 25th-and-a half century ring a bell?) and Ambassador Kosh, from B5.

I've stuck with it for a while now.... must be a couple of years or so I guess I just like the notion of using it for everything, from my e-mail address to all my screen names, to my actual writing pseudonym. It's not quite as funky as Calvin Klein, but it'll do
Old July 29th, 2002, 07:25 PM

Brigadier General

Mephisto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by dogscoff:
I love the names on this forum. We got some real characters here, and the names really reflect them. Kind of like in the Ian M Banks Culture novels, where the super-AI ship Minds choose their own names, memorable examples being the "Fate Amenable to Change", the "Grey Area" and the warship "A Frank Exchange of Views".
A friend of mine plays the "Culture" in one of my PBEM games. As I oppose him I have just constructed the first "Bora Horza Gobuchul" class ship.
Old July 29th, 2002, 07:29 PM

Brigadier General

Mephisto is on a distinguished road

[K126] is a clan tag from "Team Fortress" and "Counter Strike". In real life it is the first character of a street were some friends and I used to meet to play RPGs. Second is the actual building number.
Mephisto is from the classic German book "Faust" written by Goethe. Mephisto is kind of a devil, however not really evil. He is the "wag" (my dictionary give these words for "Schalk": rogue, wag, fool). This stuck to me from my high school time.
Check this one out: http://www.shrapnelgames.com/cgi-bin...3;t=002871;p=4
Old July 29th, 2002, 08:20 PM

General

Ragnarok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Growltigga:
[QB]

Trajan, I salute you...
QB]
This line reminded me of a show I used to watch. Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago. (Spelling is off probably) But that show was awesome. I can't remember the chicks name though. She was funny. Well back in the day she was. But now she's annoying. haha... Anyone else remember this show?
They were armed. With guns, said Omari.
Canadians. With guns. And a warship. What is this world coming to?
The dreaded derelict dwelling two ton devil bunny!
Every ship can be a minesweeper... Once
Old July 29th, 2002, 09:06 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Tribes was the best MP game of all time. It kicked CS/TF all to hell. Still does.
Old July 29th, 2002, 10:32 PM

Corporal

Trajan is on a distinguished road

I enjoyed tribes multi-player. I think I missed out on the best parts because I never joined a team there.

My best experience in multi-player gaming was MechCommander, playing through the Starlance league.

I still count myself as a member of a former team from that league (Black Thorns). We communicate frequently, all patiently waiting for a new experience that mirrors that which we enjoyed while Starlance and Mechcommander were in full swing.

Cheers!
Trajan
Old July 29th, 2002, 10:42 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

I know the feeling. It is like being the Last man standing when the battle is finsihed. When PCP finally went under, I felt lost and alone in Tribes. I was lucky though, my skill and such was well known and I was asked to join many of the top clans. I opted to go with MS because one of the founders of that clan was an ex PCP member who I knew to be a major Tribes junkie.

I have a lot of respect for SL, as it was from what I have heard, a damned fine game on any scale. I wish you and your friends the best in finding a new game to be a team in.
Old July 29th, 2002, 10:47 PM

Major

DirectorTsaarx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok:
My name comes from FFVIII for PSOne. The ship was named that, and I've used the name Ragnarok ever since.
I think Ragnarok was also used as the name of a sword in FF VII (and possibly in FF IX and/or FF X).

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Growltigga:

Trajan, I salute you...

This line reminded me of a show I used to watch. Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago. (Spelling is off probably) But that show was awesome. I can't remember the chicks name though. She was funny. Well back in the day she was. But now she's annoying. haha... Anyone else remember this show?

Yeah, I remember that show (Carmen Sandiego is the correct spelling, I think). A kid's game show on PBS, based on the computer game intended to teach both history and geography. And that group "Rockapella" or something like that singing the theme song (name was a takeoff on the term "a capella", which means singing without instrumental backup). I always felt bad when the "winner" had to identify 10 different African countries within 30 seconds for the grand prize; the lucky ones just had to identify European countries...
Old July 29th, 2002, 11:21 PM

General

Ragnarok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by DirectorTsaarx:
I think Ragnarok was also used as the name of a sword in FF VII (and possibly in FF IX and/or FF X).
Hmmm... I never played FF VII or FF IX... I have FF X but I don't remember Ragnarok being in it. I'll have to go check it out.

Quote:
Yeah, I remember that show (Carmen Sandiego is the correct spelling, I think). A kid's game show on PBS, based on the computer game intended to teach both history and geography. And that group "Rockapella" or something like that singing the theme song (name was a takeoff on the term "a capella", which means singing without instrumental backup). I always felt bad when the "winner" had to identify 10 different African countries within 30 seconds for the grand prize; the lucky ones just had to identify European countries...
Ahh yes, Rockapella, I couldn't think of the name of them for nothing. I would watch that show EVERY day.. haha.. But I agree, the unlucky winners had to pick the hard countries to figure out. I never did come close to figuring any of those out. I've never been good at geography. I'm ok at history but geography no way.

[ July 29, 2002, 22:25: Message edited by: Ragnarok ]
They were armed. With guns, said Omari.
Canadians. With guns. And a warship. What is this world coming to?
The dreaded derelict dwelling two ton devil bunny!
Every ship can be a minesweeper... Once
Old July 29th, 2002, 11:57 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Google tells me that the actual title of the song is "The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers".

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.