This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 18th, 2004, 09:04 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Narf has gone looney and wants to GM.(Edit

right on the first paragraph, not sure on the second. It's 5:00 in the morning and nope, I didn't just get up.

XP is determined by character level, character level is determined by adding all your class levels together and then adding any racial level adjustments.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:11 AM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

Notice how I write my answers. I basically managed to answer Jack by explaining that "both character level and the sum of your class levels matter to calculate the xp needed for next level".

It should have been, had I been less obtuse, "your character level determines the cost to reach the next level, and is the sum of your class levels". So a level 1 Warrior/level 9 Mage will have a character level of 10, and will have to spend as much xp to reach level 11 as a level tenth full-fledged Mage/Warrior/Butterfly.
Old October 18th, 2004, 06:01 PM

Major General

Jack Simth is on a distinguished road

Thanks.
Old October 18th, 2004, 07:19 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep in mind that there are experience penalties if you have multiple classes, based on the difference between the highest leveled class and the lowest (non-zero) leveled class your character possesses. Is this information in the Online SRDs?
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old October 18th, 2004, 08:08 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Whoops, forgot that. Also, each standard race has a favored class which isn't counted for XP penalties. Don't know if that's in the SRD, either.
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:08 PM

Major General

Jack Simth is on a distinguished road

Fyron: there's mention of it, but it doesn't seem to be fully spelled out (the amount of the penalty, the conditions under which the penalty applies, et cetera).

Narf: Yes, Favored classes are listed under the race descriptions.
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:46 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a wee bit of info on multiclassing related penalties.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 304447-multiclass.doc (26.0 KB, 152 views)
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old October 19th, 2004, 12:17 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

I have almost, but not quite, made up my mind. Would a Tiefling (found under Plane touched among the Monsters) be a suitable choice Narf? I am thinking of going the Wizard way, with perhaps some rogue tricks later on. I still have to make up one name though, among other slightly important matters.

Am I supposed to cast the dice myself, and to let you know about the results, or do you take care of this part? Do I have to give you all my choices at once (skills, race, class, feats and so on)? Or something else?
Old October 19th, 2004, 01:16 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I'll be lazy and copy this message:
Quote:
narf poit chez BOOM said:
Quote:
Jack Simth said:
Sounds like something I might have fun with, but I can't seem to figure out which file the character creation method is hiding in. I'm finding racial descriptions, class descriptions, and whatnot, but I'm not quite finding the character creation mechanisim. Any idea where it's hiding?

Also, a thought on multiclassing as a monster type: dormat genes - the character has demon/draconic/fae/whatever blood, but for now, the normal genes are dominant, and the monster genes (and all the nifties, such as special abilities and extra hit dice); however, enough stress (experience) could bring them out. Until then, it's just a special effect.
Base D&D character generation is to roll 4d6 and discard the lowest die; do this 6 times and put the scores wherever you want in your stats. Your base scores are rarely actualy used for anything themselves; they produce modifiers that, well, modify things like stat rolls, skill rolls, how many bonus spells you get if you have a spellcasting class. Your modifier for a stat is (your stat - 10) / 2.

Rolling will probably be on the honor roll, unless anyone wants to be paranoid, in which case rolling will be done on openRPG with people watching.

I don't really care if you cheat, gamewise. If you make characters who can take on anything, that's what you'll get. Out of the game, I'll think your a greedy pig. But I don't think we have to worry about cheating.

If the sum of your modifiers is 0 or less, you scores are considered to low for an adventurer and you may reroll. Same if your highest score is 13 or lower.

If we go with point buy, I'll probably go with standard point buy, 25 points and the following chart:
Code:

Stat | Point cost per level | Total
9 | 1 | 1
10 | 1 | 2
11 | 1 | 3
12 | 1 | 4
13 | 1 | 5
14 | 1 | 6
15 | 2 | 8
16 | 2 | 10
17 | 3 | 13
18 | 3 | 16

After that, there's the base saves, which are Fortitude, Reflex and Will and run off Constitution, Dexterity and Wisdom, respectively. These help with surviving poisons and disease, avioding traps and some spells and resisting mental and some spells effects, respectively.

If you need anything else, just ask.

As for hidden racial genes, sure. As long as the confusion of realizing their hidden talents keeps them from properly focusing on their class(not gaining levels) until they have enough enough unused levels to meet the level adjustment of their hidden genes. Not sure if that's what you meant.
And your character can have whatever hidden racial genes you want, as long as they are in either the PHB, DMG, MM 1&2, the SRD or Dragon magazine 323. I didn't mention it before, but one thing I want to do with this is test out different combinations.

The purpose of the whole 'hidden racial genes' is that your character starts at level 1 and 'hidden racial genes' allows an explanable, in-game way of having your character turn into, say, a half-dragon. Other than that, you can start with anything you can cram into a level 1 character.

As for your character, if we are going to use openRPG, which seems logical since everybody can get together at the same time once a week, I'd perfer the file in that format. I don't remember how to get a character sheet up in their, but Fyron does. Fyron? Help please? And thanks for your previous help.
Old October 19th, 2004, 01:33 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

/me pokes Eorg. You awake? Havn't heard anything from you for two pages.