.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old August 16th, 2011, 06:47 AM

Private

drchung is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 'Stillborn Noobs' Running

Hi, I'm playing Pangeae.

I'll be happy to play dancing bear to Pythium's AI. I am currently beseiging one fort and was in the process of setting up a second in this turn.

I've already ordered all forces (which wasn't much) away from the one province that borders C'tis, and will not move any forces of any sort into C'tis. At this point, I'm considering myself to be playing a parallel single player game to your multiplayer game. Hope you two have a niced war
Old August 17th, 2011, 10:01 PM

Corporal

aaminoff is on a distinguished road

Something is definitely messed up on the llamaserver.
Old August 18th, 2011, 07:20 AM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road

I PM'd llamabeast to ask him to look at the game. Hopefully he can figure it out.
Old August 18th, 2011, 02:47 PM

Captain

It seems to be back to normal. You probably have to ask for a turn resend manually to get the .trn, though.
Old August 26th, 2011, 02:33 AM

Captain

I lost a lot of mages in that battle. C'tis still has a bunch of units in several forts, but if next turn's battles go wrong, I think we can stop it there. I doubt I have the time to summon stuff to equip so I can actually use the ridiculous construction research I inherited in a short span of time.
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:53 PM

Corporal

That battle, with the communion of Lizard shamans, I have to say I thought you had it won. You were paralyzing and mind blasting spiders left and right, the Relief on top of all of those communioned mages meant that you could keep going forever... Why did your main block of infantry all suddenly rout from the middle of the battlefield? They were not really in melee combat yet. Was it really just the panic spell? Did something else happen in the battle that I missed?

Most of your mages retreated in good order, it just adds to the extremeness of the result that you had no retreat location and so they all died. Or maybe they were able to escape somehow, I don't know.

Just goes to show that in a Dom3 battle, almost anything is possible.

- Alex, Machaka
Old August 27th, 2011, 05:31 AM

Captain

I think the rout came from the panic spell. I'd have had better results if I hadn't brought that bunch of soldiers or had let them on guard commander duty. That and if I had had soul slay researched instead of worthless construction with no units to equip. That and if the ai kept casting the good spells instead of casting a swarm after the 5th round. wtf? Blasting 100 fatigue and a gem on a spell that's only useful to disrupt enemy formations early on instead of casting some 20 fatigue paralysis or mind burns...
I think the game's over. I could field some more armies, try to use the pretender in combat with his magic diversity and actually try to kit some unit, but I lack the gems for that (thanks Pythium for asking a skull mentor and then leaving, I could have summoned a bane lord with these gems).
Old August 27th, 2011, 05:36 AM

Captain

I think the rout came from the panic spell. I'd have had better results if I hadn't brought that bunch of soldiers or had let them on guard commander duty. That and if I had had soul slay researched instead of worthless construction with no units to equip. That and if the ai kept casting the good spells instead of casting a swarm after the 5th round. wtf? Blasting 100 fatigue and a gem on a spell that's only useful to disrupt enemy formations early on instead of casting some 20 fatigue paralysis or mind burns...
I think the game's over. I could field some more armies, try to use the pretender in combat with his magic diversity and actually try to kit some unit, but I lack the gems for that (thanks Pythium for asking a skull mentor and then leaving, I could have summoned a bane lord with these gems).

Anyway, well played Machaka.
I was not familiar with the summon spiders spell, it's quite annoying and useful.
You had a few thugs with more/better equipment than I could field, lots of mages with strong summons and evocation.
The only hope for C'tis would be to poison the armies (was I happy to see I had a poison spell and the wards cast to get rid of a single mage). Attrition, C'tis's forte, wouldn't work well because you have a strong economy in the back that can't be easily raided.
Old August 27th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Corporal

It really is a bummer that Pythium punted. Dean and I were really concerned right around the time that the first war vs Arco/Van was wrapping up. Dean's predecessor left him with a not great situation, including in particular no research, and so in some respects I would have had to fight 3 enemies simultaneously.

Researching Construction to the max is actually a pretty good strategy in a team game: One nation can focus on that while the other does other stuff. Then Pythium could have been feeding you gems to forge lots of cool stuff with, some of which would have gone to equip Pythium's thugs, others you would have kept.

The other problem with this game was that the map is not balanced. I started with nothing but farmlands all around me; so did Ctis to some degree, whereas the north of the map is all wastes and mountains. Very realistic no doubt, and presumably true to the fictional source material, and undeniably prettier to look at than many other Dom3 maps; but, does not make for a good game.

The disease dominion does work. Once I have 20-30 mages besieging various forts, most of them are diseased, and will die off eventually. I have to keep feeding in a steady stream of replacement mages; the situation reaches some steady state where N of them die per turn and I need to send in N fresh ones.

I'll send you my last turn to see if you want. What is your email address?
Old August 27th, 2011, 12:28 PM

Corporal

It really is a bummer that Pythium punted. Dean and I were really concerned right around the time that the first war vs Arco/Van was wrapping up. Dean's predecessor left him with a not great situation, including in particular no research, and so in some respects I would have had to fight 3 enemies simultaneously.

Researching Construction to the max is actually a pretty good strategy in a team game: One nation can focus on that while the other does other stuff. Then Pythium could have been feeding you gems to forge lots of cool stuff with, some of which would have gone to equip Pythium's thugs, others you would have kept.

The other problem with this game was that the map is not balanced. I started with nothing but farmlands all around me; so did Ctis to some degree, whereas the north of the map is all wastes and mountains. Very realistic no doubt, and presumably true to the fictional source material, and undeniably prettier to look at than many other Dom3 maps; but, does not make for a good game.

The disease dominion does work. Once I have 20-30 mages besieging various forts, most of them are diseased, and will die off eventually. I have to keep feeding in a steady stream of replacement mages; the situation reaches some steady state where N of them die per turn and I need to send in N fresh ones.

I'll send you my last turn to see if you want. What is your email address?