.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old June 11th, 2011, 12:05 AM

Sergeant

tratorix is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 'Stillborn Noobs' Now STARTED

With only 24 hours, by the time someone realizes they need an extension, they may not be able to get in touch with you in time to get one. The extra twelve hours just helps provide a safety net for that.
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:55 AM

Private

marcelteaching is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 'Stillborn Noobs' Now Recruiting Reserves / Final team

We have teams so that the other person can do a move if needed. I will go 36 hours, as I trust your judgement.

We are going to recruit a reserve player, should such wish to join, and maybe even if two join by the time we have all uploaded pretenders maybe we will get one more team together. We will close the call as soon as existing players upload the avatars, but if there is an issue with an existing member not signing up, then we have that problem solved, if not, we have an independent team who is unaligned, allowing some interesting diplomatic choices and backstabbing later.
Old June 11th, 2011, 08:25 AM

Corporal

kuketski is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 'Stillborn Noobs' Now Recruiting Reserves / Final team

I`ve uploaded my pretender! GAME STARTED!!!!!!
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:46 PM

Corporal

aaminoff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 'Stillborn Noobs' Running

Well, I downloaded my trn file, all happy to find out where I am starting, and Dom3 crashed with a version error. I have been out of circulation for a while and apparently I need version 3.26. So I go to download and apply patch 3.26. Appears to work, but after I launch the game and try to open the trn file, same error. And the version number has not updated. So I am stuck. I posted to the main forums hoping to get some advice, but meanwhile I can not do anything. I would suggest opening up my slot to someone else rather than waiting for me to fix my setup.
Old June 11th, 2011, 05:03 PM

Private

I've emailed you about some things we can try
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:03 PM

Private

I have temporarily looked after your 'interests' until you can fix the problem. As soon as you can fix it, let me know.

Also, if you have a specific things you want to do, just email me and let me know.
Old June 11th, 2011, 09:11 PM

Corporal

OK, reinstalled the game, applied the patch, works now. I sent in my turn 2.

We can proceed as normal.
Old June 11th, 2011, 10:02 PM

Private

ADMIN LOG :

12:40 GMT on Saturday June 11th
Hosting interval changed to 36 hours.
22:04 GMT on Saturday June 11th
Changed e-mail address for Machaka.
22:44 GMT on Saturday June 11th
Changed e-mail address for Machaka.

Guys, we suggested that we take turns for one another - apparently, this will cause a problem with a "cd-key" violation. As I did a move for Machaka because they had an issue, none of my orders were processed, and I am in a poorer situation than I should have been. I would appreciate it if you guys cut me some slack for a while and let me recover and not be a general jerk and take advantage of my noobness.

I could wind back a turn, but I won't because of the inconvenience it would cause you guys. I will try and find a third party that is happy to sub for any of us, if you guys think that would be helpful, as we can't do it the way we thought.

Marcel.
Old June 11th, 2011, 10:06 PM

Corporal

Well, so will your next turn also be a cd-key violation? Will my next turn be a cd-key violation? It seems weird that your turn was a cd-key violation but mine was not: I sent in my pretender with my cd-key, and then you used yours to submit orders. Maybe the way it works is that the second set of orders from the same cd-key is ignored?

I would not mind just restarting entirely. Or I guess rewinding back to turn 0 would work. But of course I am biased
Old June 11th, 2011, 10:29 PM

Private

Thanks, that is very kind.

We will roll back the turns. This means, that it is expected that you simply resend in the turn from turn one. It is probably a perfect time to do so, as we really have had no contact with one another.

Changing what you are doing because you know what is going to happen is an exploit and should be avoided - please do not do this. I will be strictly doing exactly what I was doing the tun before.

I do very much appreciate it. Thanks a lot guys!

Marcel.

Admin Message :

stillbornnoobs: Roll back to previous turn
This will cause the game to return to the previous turn.

Note that I generally recommend not doing this. The main reason for this is the fact that players have already seen the current turn, and so they know what would happen given the set of moves they used last time. Hence, consciously or not, they are very likely to use this information to change their actions next time they submit a turn. Even assuming none of the players' actions are affected, there will always be a suspicion in the mind of the other players if battles turn out significantly differently. Therefore just in the interest of having the game feel completely fair, I think rollbacks are a bad idea.

A further reason is a difficulty with game file confusion. Imagine turn 10 has just come out, and someone starts to play the turn. Then the game is rolled back to turn 9, and processed again to make a new turn 10. Unless players delete the 2h file they produced from the original turn 10, Dominions will not know to ignore it and may get seriously confused. This can cause a lot of madness, e.g. soldiers becoming commanders and gaining magic paths, and so on. So if you do do a rollback, make sure to remind players to delete their 2h files.

Having said that, there are situations where rollbacks are called for, which is why I've included the option here.

Read this next bit carefully. I seem to be having difficulties explaining it coherently:

Note that once the game is rolled back, it will appear that the game is waiting for 2h files from all players. However, the 2h files from last time the turn was played will in fact be there, and will be used if the game hosts without them being overwritten. This can be useful; often, a game is rehosted in order for only one or two players to retake their turns, while everyone else is expected to make no changes. The game admin can therefore wait till just those players have submitted, and then force hosting. None of the other players will stale (assuming they actually submitted a 2h file last time the turn was played).

I hope all that makes sense!