This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old July 1st, 2002, 01:03 AM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road
Default Range Attenuation!

Hey, modders! Remember the 'nebula system' idea where planet systems can exist in nebulas (system wide storms) making direct fire weapons far less effective? Well, I've had another brainstorm.

After months and months of wondering why it's so hard to balance torpedos in SE IV compared to SE III I went back and looked at it again. We've all completely spaced the way the old system worked. The APB in SE III would reduce all the way down to 1 point at the end of its range. In SE IV it's still doing about 3/4 damage at full range! This nearly erases the advantage that the torpedo weapons used to have! No wonder torpedos seem worthless. I think we need to make the 'fire every turn' weapons experience much more range attenuation to restore the balance among beams and torpedos and missiles. Not necessarily exactly as it was, but much closer to the SE III situation. Here's my first draft of a new damage arrangement for the APB.

Current Default:
20 15 15
20 20 15 15
25 25 20 20
30 25 25 20 20
35 30 30 25 25 20
40 35 35 30 25 25
40 40 35 35 30 30
45 40 40 35 35 30 30
50 45 45 40 40 35 35
55 50 50 45 45 40 40 35
60 55 55 50 50 45 45 40
65 60 60 55 55 50 50 45

Proposed Change:

20 15 10
20 20 15 10
25 20 20 15
30 25 20 15 10
35 30 25 20 15
35 30 25 20 15 10
40 35 30 25 20 15
45 40 35 30 25 20 15
50 45 40 35 30 25 20
55 50 45 40 35 30 25 20
60 55 50 45 40 35 30 25
65 60 55 50 45 40 35 30

It will at least get down to 1/2 damage at full range in this arrangement. This will make the torpedo weapons much more worthwhile, and it will even make the currently 'broken' Emissive Armor work better if we boost it a bit. You'll have to close in to do damage, even if you're using a mount. Thats what the old Emissive Armor in SE III made you do, too. Now if only MM would 'fix' Emissive Armor to reduce damage even when the hit exceeds tha ability. I have this 'memory' that that's what was intended... but I don't recall why. Why do I think that's what was intended? Does anyone recall where and when we were officially told how Emissive Armor was 'supposed' to work?
Old July 1st, 2002, 01:14 AM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Range Attenuation!

Comment on the APB: remember that the thing costs more than four times as much as the torps to research.

The PPB on the other hand costs about the same as the torps, as does the meson bLaster.

Phoenix-D

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old July 1st, 2002, 02:49 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

In SE3, every component had 1 hitpoint.
The emissive Armor said "takes 3 damage to destroy"

When a shot <3 damage hit, nothing happened.
When a shot =3 damage hit, the armor was destroyed, nothing else.
When a shot >3 damage hit the emissive absorbed four points of it.

If the leftover damage hit another emissive armor component, it would get a chance to absorb 3 hitpoints as well.

Compare this to SE4's EA.
Old July 1st, 2002, 04:49 AM

General

Yep, I noticed that it seems to work like the old Emissive Armor. But that doesn't seem to be the correct way for it to work in the new game system.
Old July 1st, 2002, 05:28 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

It definitely does not work like in SE3.

If it did, then a 3 damage hit to that EA below would destroy the EA AND two other components, rather than just the EA
Old July 1st, 2002, 10:18 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Yep, SJ is right. The old EA effect was nice and interesting - with multipel EA components, some of the damage would be spread between them randomly, with the result that sometimes you would destroy an EA component, and sometimes not, with the same amount of damage. SE4 increased the grain of damage by about 10x, which means even if MM suddenly decided to use an SE3-like system, it would have less randomness with 10x points than in SE3, unless a neat algorithm was invented to make it more like the SE3 performance.

As has been said many times before, the SE4 EA is rather too much an all-or-nothing affair. Personally, I'd like to see some new protection effects possible, such as:

1) Reduces damage of each weapon hit by X.

2) Reduces incoming damage by Y%.

3) Reduces damage per hit by a random amount between A and B.

4) Has a Z% chance of being hit before other components.

PvK
Old July 1st, 2002, 04:21 PM

Sergeant

Tenryu is on a distinguished road

Yes, PVK, I agree. I've often felt that the weapon/armor interaction is such a fundamental one that, like weapon components with all their extra fields, an 'armor component' should also, by its nature, require a group of additional fields. Your suggested fields probobly about cover it.

Hmm, how did we get on armor, when Baron M. started a thread on beams and torps, lol.
Sorry Baron.
Old July 1st, 2002, 06:43 PM

General

Reducing damage by X percent is the Damper Field from MOO. I've asked MM to implement that many times.

Ok, I see what SJ was pointing out then. Yes, the damage that over-rides the EA rating doesn't get reduced but carries through 100 percent. This is the bug I was complaining about. If EA really absorbed the rated damage it would then make torpedos and other high-damage but low fire-rate weapons much more valuable again.

As for the topic drift, Tenryu, we're still on topic. I started the thread on the effects of range attenuation. Emissive Armor is deeply entwined with the issue of range attenuation. It was Emissive Armor that made torpedos really useful in SE III. Now that beam weapons are so strong in SE IV the torpedo is far less important...

[ July 01, 2002, 18:01: Message edited by: Baron Munchausen ]
Old July 1st, 2002, 10:11 PM

Major

DirectorTsaarx is on a distinguished road

As long as the other beam weapons suffer the same attenuation; ISTR that the APB was "beefed up" in one of the patches so the PPB wouldn't seem like such an uber-weapon.

What about the Meson BLaster? The point of that one is that the damage doesn't decrease at all over the full range - would that damage have to be decreased as well, or is it sufficiently lower than the torpedo damage? (Yeah, I could look up the numbers and form my own opinion, but I'm more interested in what everyone else thinks about it).
Old July 1st, 2002, 11:39 PM

General

Yes, the Meson BLaster presents a challenge because it cannot be easily 'balanced' by Emissive Armor as it was in SE III. Mounts come along with light cruisers and throw the balance out. MM has got to do something to improve armor, and Emissive Armor in particular. I'd prefer that there be mounts FOR armor, which increase Emissive Ability in the same proportion as weapon power. We've been requesting it, and there have been some new extensions for mounts recently. We'll just see what happens...

Apparently the shorter range was supposed to be the new 'balancing disadvantage' for the MB. It used to be the longer range weapon in SE III. If the AI was smarter in combat and actually executed strategies like 'maximum weapons range' properly it might have worked. I don't think it does, though. We need armor fixed/improved.

[ July 02, 2002, 05:27: Message edited by: Baron Munchausen ]