.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 25th, 2003, 11:24 PM

Sergeant

Keir Maxwell is on a distinguished road
Default Enchantment Race

I have to admit I haven't spend nearly enough time with my head in the spell book and so I figured I should pay it a bit more mind. Looking through Enchantment Last night an idea hit me - races designed around a school of magic?

I design races (magic hands, whatever) around one central point and try and make everything strenghten that approach. With the increased magic appearing on pretenders in Dom II the possibility exists to look at a school of magic and say - "hey I can pick the right paths and play the game with this school of magic." Picking up odd low level spells off other schools plus some construction is fine with this approach.

Enchantment was the school I was looking at for fairly simple reasons - its got wards, battle magic (including relief), summons, powerful rituals and Faerie Trod. Death and Nature seem to get some awesome high level enchantment spells so C'tis looks a possibility.

Part of the appeal of this is that I have never cast an eight or ninth level spell in Dom - I don't single player/test bed that far and none of my MP games have given me time for such luxeries.

So what do you reckon?

Cheers

Keir

[ November 26, 2003, 04:14: Message edited by: Keir Maxwell ]
Old November 25th, 2003, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Enchantment Race

You can do that with Conjuration 3 Enchantment up to 7 for Tree Lords then pick up spells along the way.

The "Vine nation" strategy.
Old November 26th, 2003, 03:45 PM

Corporal

Tiltowait is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Enchantment Race

I reckon that it aint so good to be a purist. When you are cranking out 100 rps a turn and need 500 for 1 school and 20 for another, forsaking the easy to research level 1-4 spells is not wise (unless you need a particular spell for your strategy, and sometimes not even then).