.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 21st, 2003, 10:38 PM

BANNED USER

Mortifer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why such a high price?

WOW! You guys are kidding! AoW 2. is awesome, I play it for a long time now. Multiplayer is incredible fun as well!
The gfx is fantastic too!
I never thought that a real fantasy strategy gamer dont like this game! IMHO this is the best turn based fantasy strategy ever..
Old September 21st, 2003, 10:43 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Mortifer:
WOW! You guys are kidding! AoW 2. is awesome, I play it for a long time now. Multiplayer is incredible fun as well!
The gfx is fantastic too!
I never thought that a real fantasy strategy gamer dont like this game! IMHO this is the best turn based fantasy strategy ever..
You're a little too much affirmative : AOW is good and very nice, but there's *something* missing, it never had for me that special touch who compels me to play "one more turn" when I have to quit !
For me old'MoM is still *the* best fantasy strategy game ever. I've discovered Dominions only recently, it also *has* that special touch, but it somewhat overwhelming and not that friendly ! I have great expectations for Dom2, even if 3D model can"t be compared to Doom3
Old September 21st, 2003, 10:47 PM

BANNED USER

Mortifer is on a distinguished road

I dont think that anything is missing from AoW 2..frankly.especially Shadow Magic is an incredible addon...its an awesome game overall..to me at least.
Well we are different, and seeing things differently of course..
Also there is a quite big Online AoW2 community as well, dont forget about that!

[ September 21, 2003, 21:48: Message edited by: Mortifer ]
Old September 22nd, 2003, 02:12 AM

Sergeant

MythicalMino is on a distinguished road

I was the same way...Shadow Magic just missed something....I realized what it was after I started playing Dominions....

Shadow Magic just really misses the "epic" feeling....it just seemed that the battles really didn't mean much....but so far, I have had many "Major" battles in Dominions....like, when my army barely made it to break the seige on my capital....and WON!!! Also, when I took the Marignon capital, and killed their Pretender during the fight....

Add to that the number of soldiers involved....Shadow Magic just didn't have that....and with Dominions, I played 9 hours straight Last week...and had to force myself to stop...so I could get some rest before I had to go to work....

no, Shadow Magic to me just doesn't have "it"...

wanna check out a great Cards & Dice game? www.gwfwrestling.com/home.htm

I only know one language: Hillbilly

Your mileage may vary, but mine always stays the same
Old September 22nd, 2003, 06:23 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Yeah. AoW2/SM lacks "it". Dominions I is very, very addictive game. Also, for me, AoW 2 had a huge, burning red BETA tag stamped on it. It was so unstable i could barely play it! AoW 2 "web community" was also, IMO, quite narrow minded and flamed anyone who pointed out that the game had flaws in it, or spoke anything about other games than AoW 2 or AoW.

And Mortifer, play the demo first, whinge after playing demo. Then you might have actual issues to whine about. If you don't want to pay the $45, then don't. I, and i believe others are also willing to happily pay that $45 for Dominions II.
Heck, IMHO, Dominions I demo had more content than the full Version of AoW 2.

[ September 22, 2003, 05:39: Message edited by: Nerfix ]

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 06:36 AM

Sergeant

LordArioch is on a distinguished road

I didnt have stability issues with shadow magic...but it very quickly got to the point where it was just a tedious matter of killing more generic units with my generic units *again*. And attacking towns is just annoying since you either spend far too long to get fragile seige engines to break down the walls or do it with troops. I just dont like the way that 2 turns worth of production can die in a single hit as your troops manage to roll 1 damage.

"Oh look...more *insert any unit in game* for my druids to kill...yay" repeat twice per turn every turn. It just didnt feel fun to me.
Now good old MoM had "it". Even if you could take 11 life books and start by summoning the most powerful unit in the game. The most epic spell in age of wonders is.... Earth Mastery *and the like* whoo...i have domain...wow...

Compared to casting time stop or armageddon in MoM
or some global in dominions like Illwinter...it just feels so minor.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 06:41 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Yeah... Dominions starts to feel... apocalyptic when you have Illwinter and Wrath of God active...

And AoW 2 didn't realy miss anything but creativity...
Elves, Orcs, Dwares, BLARGH!
Dominions I and II offer so much more than that game can ever offer.

[ September 22, 2003, 05:49: Message edited by: Nerfix ]

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:30 AM

Sergeant

Potatoman is on a distinguished road

Shadow Magic may lack an "epic" feel, but it has quite a bit going for it. A decent user interface, a minimum of micromanagement, and easily decipherable game mechanics readily come to mind. I've played the Dominions demo for quite some time now (I didn't buy the full Version because my friends weren't interested in playing hotseat) and I myself still don't know exactly the effect of, for instance, a weapon reach of 3 compared to a similiar weapon of reach 2. Does it give you an attack bonus? A defense penalty? Just the ability to stay beyond the range of Abysian/summoned heat/cold auras? It's frustrating because there are dozens of small game mechanics that are not explained (or even hinted at) in any manual, fansite or in-game help bar. AGRh.

The upshot is that, of course, with so many mechanics the game itself is quite complex and strategically deep. There is more stuff in Dom I (sheer volume of units and spells)than any other tbs that I have ever played; it may not look pretty, or be useful, or you may not even know what it does, but it's still there and you may use it if you want to. That's what makes it an outstanding, though imperfect, game IMO.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:50 AM

Sergeant

LordArioch is on a distinguished road

Actually the manual tells you what weapon reach does...
I've found that between the few fansites and the manual not only what things do is covered but even a fair degree of the hidden mechanics...like the average unit number needed to supress rebels at a given tax rate, or the odds of hitting a unit based on attack and defense difference.

Shadow magic is for people who want pretty, easy games. Dominions is for people who want diversity and the possiblity to come up with strategy after strategy.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 09:14 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

the weapon reach effect is explained in the manual, but I understand your point : many mechanisms are not, lest you would have a compendium of 2500 pages

weapon reach : if your is greater than your foe, then he has a moral check to do in order to attack. If he fails, he cant attack, if he passes, he takes one hit and can attack.

if you have any question, the csipgs newsgroup could have responded to you. Now that his forum is active, most of you questions you can ask will be answered too I guess.