.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 2nd, 2003, 02:10 PM

BANNED USER

Zerger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why such a high price?

Quote:
Originally posted by Edi:
I don't think €45 is a high price to pay for Dom II.
Indeed. Doms 2. will be a very unique TBS game. It's worth of 45 bucks.

[ October 02, 2003, 13:11: Message edited by: Zerger ]
Old October 2nd, 2003, 02:55 PM

Corporal

Yojinbo is on a distinguished road

It's gardening vrs comercial farming in my opinion. I will drive further and pay more at a farmer's market for a fruit grown with care by an orchardist or small farmer.

I have no objection paying Shrapnel a good price, knowing that a higher percentage is going to the devlopers. I would rather pay Shrapnel $39 then pay a Huge retail-focused publisher $29.

The fruit you get from a gardener (small farmer) is just better.

[ October 02, 2003, 14:31: Message edited by: Yojinbo ]
Old October 2nd, 2003, 11:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

HJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by LordArioch:
In dominions, flagellants are decent cheap blessable attackers but are HORRIBLY exposed to missle fire.
Also the dom 2 blessing with air that protects against missile weapons is probably pretty decent on its own too.
However, when the two abilites are combined you have more effectiveness than just the sum of the two seperately.
Would you care to enlighten the DomI newbie about how can you target your units in a manner that you are sure that your flagellants will be the ones getting the missile protection, and not your heavy cavalry? My mages always tend to cast spells on the targets I don't want them to, and this lack of control can be a bit frustrating (not to mention friendly magic fire incidents). I would enjoy the game much more if I wouldn't spend half of the time yelling "NO, NO, don't target them, target the other guy"....
Old October 3rd, 2003, 04:20 AM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road

There's no way to directly control magic targeting, but (from what I've been told and have read about Dom I) the AI does seem much smarter about where to put the protection spells in Dom II as well as which ones to use.

No AI is perfect, but I've noticed it takes into account both vulnerability and value (i.e. those vulnerable but sacred flagellants would get a higher priority for missile protection than vulnerable but cheap militia).

I'm not sure about this, but it does seem that mages and priests also slightly favor troops in squads under their direct control. That Last might just be a misleading fluke, however.

[ October 03, 2003, 03:21: Message edited by: Psitticine ]
Old October 3rd, 2003, 07:43 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

to have the Ai target a given individual or group of units, your only trick is to check the range of the spell, and place the mage & troops so that only they are in range.

for example :

body etheral, range 1. Put the mage adjacent to three behemots on hold an attack. Script BE 3 times. You will get the 3 beasts etheralized before they move.

Another example, weapon oh sharpness on a group of knight : I think the spell has 10 or 15 range. Place the mage and the knights in a corner, and he will have to targets them
Old October 4th, 2003, 06:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

HJ is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the hints on targeting.
If I understand correctly, one square is a space that can fit a unit with a size of 6 (or 3 units with a size of 2, etc.), right? Is there any way to turn on the grid to get a better idea about ranges, etc.? I'm guessing that when you right-click on a unit, and several of them show up and you can cycle through them within the unit details screen, all those units are on the same square, but it's hard to find out longer ranges.

Btw, the size also matters for trampling and missile hit chance. Is there anyhting else for which the size would be important? And what about that colour-coding of the highlighted units? Red is the amount of damage, green is poison, blue is magically protected, or something like that?

[ October 04, 2003, 17:03: Message edited by: HJ ]
Old October 4th, 2003, 08:50 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by HJ:
Thanks for the hints on targeting.
If I understand correctly, one square is a space that can fit a unit with a size of 6 (or 3 units with a size of 2, etc.), right? Is there any way to turn on the grid to get a better idea about ranges, etc.? I'm guessing that when you right-click on a unit, and several of them show up and you can cycle through them within the unit details screen, all those units are on the same square, but it's hard to find out longer ranges.

Btw, the size also matters for trampling and missile hit chance. Is there anyhting else for which the size would be important? And what about that colour-coding of the highlighted units? Red is the amount of damage, green is poison, blue is magically protected, or something like that?
you are quite right on your assertions.
Its a bit hard to compute squares distances, but with some practice you will identify the tiles of the terrain (well it will all go away with doms II, ouch!).

When you right click on a unit, you have the others units available in the squares too.

I dont think that missile hit chance is affected by size. Trampling damage is based on size (8+2*size, armor piercing, attack rating of 10 IIRC).

aside that, size is used in supply usage mostly. A spell at least wont works if the creature is too big. I dont see any other thing, but I must be forgetting many things... only one of the Oracle of Illwinter could give you a complete answer.

The colors indicates what problems has your units, and is the average of RGB values. For example very fatigued and slightly wounded will give you a pinky blue.