.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:19 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Curse...

Quote:
Originally posted by johan osterman:
I, at least, am not very opposed to curses being removable by wishes. The cost of wish is very prohibitive and in a multiplayer game there are bound to be ways to better spend 100 astral games. I guess if you mainly single play and more or less roleplay your commanders the wish as a remove curse might be desirable, but to me the wish as a remove curse is so expensive as to make it almost pointless to implement it, which is also why I wouldnt mind seing it implemented, since it is debatable if anyone ever would use it that way in a multuplayer game.
now that you speak of wishes, does the wish description in the code, relative to people or units teleported, has a corresponding keyword? None of the vets ever succeeded in bringing this description into play?

sidenote : new wishes exists in doms II ?
Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:39 PM

BANNED USER

Mortifer is on a distinguished road

Errrrrrrrr, I dont understand that why is it impossible to remove curse?! Its VERY easy to curse some chars in Dom I.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:57 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Pocus:
now that you speak of wishes, does the wish description in the code, relative to people or units teleported, has a corresponding keyword? None of the vets ever succeeded in bringing this description into play?

sidenote : new wishes exists in doms II ?
Huh? Please rephrase that question: relative to people or units teleported...keyword?

New wishes. I'm not sure. None recently, but it has been more than a year since we started and most stuff is quickly forgotten. It's more fun to play that way. You will get surprised and happy and all warm inside when you betatest the game.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:57 PM

BANNED USER

Zerger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Aristoteles:
Is there a way to remove curse in Dominions 2?
nope
I ask it as well...WHY?
If it cannot be removed, than you must make curse a VERY rare stuff in Doms 2...in Doms 1, it is fairly easy to curse what you want, and you cannot remove it. You call this balanced?

[ October 02, 2003, 19:59: Message edited by: Zerger ]
Old October 2nd, 2003, 09:39 PM

Major

Jasper is on a distinguished road

The only thing I find annoying about Curses is when they land on a Pretender, which IMHO seems out of line to the supposed magical power of the pretender. It's also _far_ more annoying when a Pretender gets a curse; having a combat Pretender is difficult enough already!

Perhaps Pretenders and prophets could be immune to curses? It's seem reasonable that such extreme divine power would place you outside the normal realm of fate.

I like Horror Mark being absolute though, as it fits better.

[ October 02, 2003, 20:40: Message edited by: Jasper ]
Old October 2nd, 2003, 10:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

HJ is on a distinguished road

Well, the curse just helped me defeat a Sphynx with a whopping 1300hp and 6 in death and nature in Dom I yesterday. Several armies just couldn't do anything and got slaughtered without making a scratch, until it finally became feebleminded and couldn't fight back. So, I like the curse so far.
Old October 3rd, 2003, 12:38 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Curse doesn't need to be as easy to remove as it is to apply, because it doesn't do all that much. It's only a big deal if the cursed unit in question is a hyper-powerful close combat type, and even then, it can be countered by healing the afflictions and/or using other protection and/or regeneration on the unit.

One idea might be to add a Remove Curse spell, but make it so expensive that it's only really desirable for roleplayers and pretenders, and make it so it's not certain of working, and the chance of success is based on the relative power of the wizard who cast the curse, against the power of the wizard casting Remove Curse.

Just an idea. I think it's interesting the way it is, though I would like to see an (inefficient) way to do it, mainly for roleplaying purposes.

PvK
Old October 3rd, 2003, 03:12 AM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The same kind of depiction of the inevetabilty of fate is common in norse and greek mythology. Other greek characters that succumb to the fate of killing their fathers or grandfathers are Persues and Theseus.
It pops up a lot in Celtic mythology as well. Fionn mac Cumhail and Lugh Lamhfada were both fated to kill their grandfathers, for example. And the concept of the geasa is central to a lot of Celtic myth. There'd be one thing that you either always had to do and then couldn't, or had to always avoid but were forced or tricked into doing. When you broke your geis, then WHAM! The Morrigan would be laughing over your corpse before the next sunrise.

Kinda like having a loose thread in your personal tapestry of fate. Sooner or later, somebody will come along and tug on it, and then your destiny comes all unravelled.

On a side note, having Wish being able to remove a Curse would appeal to me, but, yep, I'm a role-playin' type.
Old October 3rd, 2003, 03:48 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Fate is really different from a curse spell thrown by some enemy or magic item. Fated doom comes tends to come from the misdeeds of your parents, affairs of the gods. The exception might be if the enemy is cursing you because you are doing something attrocious to them (besides just fighting them in a battle). The effect of a doomed fate is also much different from merely making it more likely you'll get a permanent injury when you get hit in battle.

PvK
Old October 3rd, 2003, 04:08 AM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road

Oh, I'm not trying to debate between a fated destiny and, say, a witch's curse. I'm just chattering about Celtic mythology. I'm alarmingly prone towards doing that.

(Although your comment about "the affairs of the gods" does make me want to comment on the fact the game is, indeed, about the affairs of the gods! )

Still, that's not actually what I was trying to say. I, also, look on the Curse effect in Dominions as something a bit more . . . well, mortal, if that makes any sense at all. A geis and the like are quite different from, say, having one's path crossed by a black cat.

That's another reason I think making Wish be able to remove Curses would be a good touch. It does seem like, unlike a true component of one's destiny, they should be removable by some kind of very powerful magic, and Wish couldn't be a better candidate.