.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old August 27th, 2007, 03:25 PM

Sergeant

Zylithan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Idiot\'s Guide to Making Custom Maps?

Ballbarin - yeah, that clears it up. That was sorrt of what I was worried was the truth. I was hoping there was some way for me to define boundaries for the map, so if I clicked anywhere in province 1, it would go to 1 in your above example, not province 2.

But I guess this is not possible. sad face. thanks for confirming that. I guess I have to limit my gerrymander provinces, or be okay with this issue happening.

thanks!
Old August 27th, 2007, 04:19 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Apparently red borders helps, but not much. It just wasnt efficient to put alot of "thinking code" into trying to figure out how much of a province is inside of a really crazy boundary. I think its one of the reasons we have the flags (which I mostly find irritating)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 27th, 2007, 04:24 PM

Sergeant

Zylithan is on a distinguished road

Yeah, my test map has big solid red lines, but they didnt help really. I suppose its not supported in the current map format, but it would be a nice feature to allow us to map (x,y) coordinates of the picture on to provinces. Like, default could be just find the nearest white dot (wahtever it normally does), but maybe if I could define (by x,y pixels or something) boundaries.... it's probably too much work to code this, but it would be nice. If the mapmaker could autodetect red lines (like 255,0,0) and use those it would be super-neat.

But... you make maps with the mapmaking tools you have, not the mapmaking tools you wished you had.