.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 10th, 2009, 02:13 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Who Reanimates?

Undead nations receive a +1 modifier to priest level which helps deterine what they can raise.
Old November 10th, 2009, 06:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

Swan is on a distinguished road

I didn't know that.
Am i the only one learning something new abut this game everyday?
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:20 AM

First Lieutenant

Agema is on a distinguished road

Question is what use reanimation is as well. My experience of MA Ermor has been that you expend a vast amount of mage time and effort raising a huge army, and it tends to disappear like smoke in the wind when it fights someone.
Old November 10th, 2009, 06:00 PM

Private

SilverElf4 is on a distinguished road

Yeah I started a game there playing as Agartha. I love the map, any tutorials on how to do editing as you did? I've love to be able to switch around the allowed nations.

I don't know what (if any) is the best tactic for reanimate, but I've been using the ability to create frontline fodder for battles and to mop up independents.
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:53 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Reanimation is valuable if it does not compete for mage-time or fort-time. Normally thats not the case, tho you can sometimes arrange it.
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:40 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverElf4 View Post
I don't know what (if any) is the best tactic for reanimate, but I've been using the ability to create frontline fodder for battles and to mop up independents.
'Carrion Reanimation' after a large battle with many corpses left behind can get you as many as 100 Soulless (with equipment, from battle corpses in contrast to 'reaper' corpses or the like) in a single remote cast. That's very commander-time-efficient.

There are ways to get lots of undead priests at once ('Life After Death' + cold/poison aura + indy priests packed up against the aura holder), for instance. This might be considered cheese, considering that the priests probably should have second thoughts about where you're telling them to stand, and that it also negates their upkeep.
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:06 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

I've never been fond of it on a small scale, but with Ermor you can do it on a huge scale. Usually they die fast, but by late game everything dies fast and if you can get the late game buffs on them they're suddenly not so bad.
Army of Lead and Will of the Fates on a thousand Longdead Horse fighting in Darkness?
Sure, SCs will kill them eventually, but that's what your communioned mages are spamming Soul Slay for. And you have your own SCs.
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:57 PM

BANNED USER

Scarmiglione is on a distinguished road

Silverelf: You can switch around the nations on a scenario map by editing the .map file of the map in your dominions 3 map folder. lets say you want to change Oceania to R'lyeh. Make a copy of the dawn.map and dawn.tga and rename them into something like Rdawn.map and Rdawn.tga (this is to avoid overwriting the original dawn of dominions.)

Then, open the rdawn.map in notepad and look for #dom2title. change "dawn of dominions to somnething like "dawn of R'lyeh)

Next look for #imagefile. Change dawn.tga to rdawn.tga (or whatever you renamed the .tga).

Next, scroll down to #allowedplayer. Look for EA oceania, which is nation 26. Change that to EA R'lyeh, which is nation 22. (the nation numbers fo all nations can be found in the mod manual)

Finally, find the command #specstart 26 49. remember, 26 is EA oceania, so change that to 22 for r'lyeh. the 49 is the starting province, leave that as is. You may want to change #landname 49 to "R'lyeh" for flavor purposes.

Then start a new game on the map "Dawn of R'lyeh" and it should work fine. You can replace any other nations, not just R'lyeh. Just refer to the mod manual and switch numbers where appropriate. You can even add nations from other eras, if you make a simple mod to put them in EA (the mod would use the commands
#modname "(nationname) in EA"
#selectnation X(X = nation number)
#era 1
#end.
Then enable that mod, and do the above steps using whatever nation you picked.

I think I've remembered all the steps, but post if it doesn't work or my description was confusing, I will clarify, or one of the more knowledgeable posters here will probably correct any areas I was wrong about.
Old November 12th, 2009, 05:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

Jack_Trowell is on a distinguished road

You don't need to rename the image file, nothing prevent several .map files to reference the same .tga image.
Dominions Map validator and randomizer : http://dominions.realites.org
Dominions Map editor v0.75b : http://dominions.realites.org/map_editor
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:36 AM

Corporal

Sajuuk is on a distinguished road

Pan and LA c'tis might have special rules to reanimate different undead, and other nation get them(through enslave,wish or simply mod...)can only reanimate standard undead...

The Sauromatia hero that make partholonian longdead use "summon allies" command rather than reanimate undead.

Note that some nation have speciel soulless/longdead unit,like atlantis, caelum, Niefelheim/Jotunheim/Utgård, C'tis and Ashdod(unclear if Hinnom have,at least Gath cannot reanimate speciel longdead), and anyone that can reanimate have a chance to get these unit, not restricted to national priest.

Sauromatia is an exception, though nomally they can't reanimate because they lack of undead or demon priest, if you designate an undead/demonic prophet, or mummified your dead prophet, or simply summoned one of the ice devil that have H3, you will find that they can reanimate longdead horseman.