ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old July 16th, 2010, 10:40 AM

Private

Jimbo43 is on a distinguished road
Default Deselecting mine use

Why does the AI continue to use mines when I have selected "mines off"??

While the mines are inert, my troops and vehicles still treat them as "live" thereby giving the AI and unintended (by me) advantage and in an assualt situation tends to buy alot of them.
Old July 16th, 2010, 11:59 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Deselecting mine use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo43 View Post
Why does the AI continue to use mines when I have selected "mines off"??

While the mines are inert, my troops and vehicles still treat them as "live" thereby giving the AI and unintended (by me) advantage and in an assualt situation tends to buy alot of them.
The "mines off" setting is really just a cheat for learner human players, or perhaps if your small kids want to play. It does not stop the AI buying them, or delete any that a scenario has been made with.

Cheers
Andy
Old July 16th, 2010, 01:37 PM

Private

LOL well I guess I knew that, thanks for lefthanded fungoo I don't find it a cheat since you guys reinstated the "borg arty" a couple of years ago.
Old July 16th, 2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
LOL well I guess I knew that, thanks for lefthanded fungoo I don't find it a cheat since you guys reinstated the "borg arty" a couple of years ago.
What exactly is this "borg artillery cheat" when it's at home?.

Andy
Old July 17th, 2010, 09:19 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Quote:
What exactly is this "borg artillery cheat" when it's at home?.

Andy
Cheat???? You said cheat about the mines being off, I simply said I don't view as a cheat. I then stated that I felt that way because of the "borg" arty, by borg I mean spotting since it can "see" assets without a spotter with uncanny accuracy, but I didn't call it a cheat???
Old July 18th, 2010, 04:27 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

I think you kinda got suckered there as that was what he was expecting but guess what it cant which is simply verified by the amount of times it fires opening salvos at nothing or where you were rather than where you are.
That being said though the routines are very good better than a lot of humans I have played & it does pull off some blinding stonks at times.
Give it a game where it has lots of arty & all credit to how it uses it just did a large defend in the Himalayas & I could not have used smoke better to block my fire lanes.
That along with a continued barage broke my right flank but it just guessed right.
Old July 18th, 2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
I think you kinda got suckered there as that was what he was expecting but guess what it cant which is simply verified by the amount of times it fires opening salvos at nothing or where you were rather than where you are.
That being said though the routines are very good better than a lot of humans I have played & it does pull off some blinding stonks at times.
Give it a game where it has lots of arty & all credit to how it uses it just did a large defend in the Himalayas & I could not have used smoke better to block my fire lanes.
That along with a continued barage broke my right flank but it just guessed right.
The original arty code for the SP games by SSI had some inbuilt advantages for the AI for its artillery routines.

1) When plotted arty was about to fall, the code would "teleport" the stonk to somewhere more useful, i.e. somewhere near a detected unit of yours. No matter where it had plotted it on the map.

2) Pre-game barrages were based on an "average" of your unit's actual positions, so most would fall somewhere useful to the AI.It was AFAIR an average of your actual deployment plot - so if you went for an "all South" deployment - a good deal of the AI arty automagically would fall down there.

ALL of that, I removed as soon as we got hold of the source code or as soon as we determined there was another AI inbuilt advantage. (Like the free troops the AI selected forces would be given on picking a random force).

So - the original code as delivered by SSI did have what the OP might have called "borg" artillery routines, but we did not in any way reinstate it - we removed it. Which is 180 degrees from his assertion/assumption.

Our pre-game arty plots are based on an average of the entire deployment zone , with emphasis on roads (if the human is going to advance, it is where he tends to stack units), the front of the deployment area, and just in front of the deployment area (if advancing). Sometimes it will stonk up the rear of the deployment area in hopes of getting your arty park. But it is all random guessing, it no longer has intel about the human player's pre-game positioning.

In-game arty plotting now is affected by "AI Interest" - as described in the release history, as well as on units actually spotted. If you fire (or pop smoke, make dust trails, etc) from a position, the AI will test for "interest" and the more you fire from an area, the more likely it is to be interested (especially if it currently has free batteries to assign). That allows it to drop presents on the human player who does the "hill dance" - popping up from behind a ridge to snap shoot, but always ending out of LOS at end turn. Some fire events will be more interesting to the AI than others (ATGM and MRL are rather interesting forex) The AI will still use the old routines for plotting unassigned arty (Usually nearby to enemy or neutral V-Hexes) as well from time to time.

(NB - nearby an objective does not necessarily mean within 2-3 hexes. It can be a click or so short, long, sideways or whatever. It's a bell curve distribution. Then add the normal scatter for fall of unobserved shot. But don't be surprised if some arty lands "telepathically" on the platoon of tanks you had 750 metres north of a particular objective cluster and which you know have not yet revealed themselves. The target was not the platoon - it was the V-Hex cluster)

And as well - do not be surprised if your tank coy trundles up to a ridge and gets an "instant" barrage. Remeber that arty takes time to arrive, and in this case the player calling "foul" has usually forgotten that 2-3 moves before, his recce bumbled over that hill in full view of the AI. The AI target was therefore the recce, and so if you are going to take a position - remember to allow for time of fall of any plotted AI presents, if you are going to move lead elements over that hill. Or better yet - do not telegraph it at all, and move the scout cars round the side of the to-be-defended hill !.

So - some of these stonks will be self-called by your activities, and some are just random guesswork.

But there are no more teleported stonks, and no more plotting with foreknowledge of your general location. Nor have there been, since 1999/2000 or so.

Cheers
Andy
Old July 18th, 2010, 09:26 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,482 Times in 2,710 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

..........and in another 6 months somebody else will make the same claim and we'll explain this all over again as we have been doing since we started reworking the original artillery code. The "problem" is Andy's coding anticipates too well what the typical player does becasue Andys been playing since the first SP1 beta was released.

Don
Old July 18th, 2010, 06:51 PM

Corporal

codman is on a distinguished road

And for all these years I thought it was because the Soviets had launched an early Sputnik recon satellite as it would chase my 88's all over the battlefield. One shot and then bail like the devil was on your heels... Made those early war years tough until the Pz IV vf2 started to show up.

Take it easy - Steve