.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old October 27th, 2012, 04:56 PM

Sergeant

Rosollia is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WIP campaign 29th Infantry division (testers appreciated)

I finished the Campaign finaly. The scenarios were quite challenging to me but there were some easy ones too. I used up all my repair points but never managed to fix all the units in the core force. It might have been good to give 200 or even 250 repair points after the battle at Brest. That way the player would have enough points to reapair the whole core force and possibly upgrade some units to different ones. Or then its just me sucking at this game.

The last mission of this campaign was also very hard. I noticed that the map had been set to Winter status so the infantry moved quite slow. With the mud and mine fields I could not capture all the victory locations in time and the battle ended in a draw.

I think the best strategy for that final scenario would probably be to attack the Southern bridgehead with one comapany and the Northen one with two. Still A dificult task with the slow movement, mines and heavy enemy artillery. I will have to try it again someday.

All in all I did enjoy this campaign it was difficult but fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Last_battle.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	12110   Click image for larger version

Name:	CampaignEnding.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	12111  
The Following User Says Thank You to Rosollia For This Useful Post:
Old October 28th, 2012, 01:34 PM

First Lieutenant

Ts4EVER is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback!
About the last level: You still did better than history, in reality the 116th attack was stopped cold by artillery.
Did you play the old version with 16 round limit or the longer, new one?
Also, was there any level that "stood out" to you, either positively or because it was no fun at all?
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:21 AM

Sergeant

Rosollia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Did you play the old version with 16 round limit or the longer, new one?
I played the version with 32 turns. I believe the problem was that I diverted all my troops to the North and then I just did not have enough turns to reach the Southern victory hexes. The enemy artillery was devestating. With a better strategy I believe I could have captured all the victory flags.

Quote:
Also, was there any level that "stood out" to you, either positively or because it was no fun at all?
I think these were my favorite scenarios in the campaign:
- St Andre
- Setterrich
- Julich Counter Attack

I did not find anything majorly wrong with the other scenarios either. Here are just some small things:

In the scenario Task force sugar where you had to destroy the German Graf Spee battery I found it almost impossible. The battery is at the map edge with victory hexes under the bunkers. One would need to use alot of smoke and advance the infantry along the map edge to get behind the forts to destroy them I guess?

The trucks in the core force were not very usefull and most of the time I just deployed them in the map corners and did not use them. Only scenarios that I think I used them were:
- Fontenay
- Task Force Sugar
- Montbarey

The most anoying enemy units to me were the snipers, the small LMG troops and Scouts. These were so hard to spot and ofthen sneaked right next ty my troops and caused casualties. The Scouts and LMG units are size 0 so that makes them so hard to spot. As for the snipers I would avoid the expensive cost ones since they are so overpowed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rosollia For This Useful Post:
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:02 PM

First Lieutenant

Yeah, smoke is the key for the task force sugar scenario. If oyu use smoke from the 60mm mortars and the heavy arti on the trenches you can easily overrun them with the Rangers, since the infantry units are understrength and really bad.
Old November 25th, 2012, 07:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts4EVER View Post
OK, new and probably final version of the campaign, with adjusted difficulty levels and some other fixes.
Hi Ts4EVER. Just came back to Spww2 after a few months' hiatus. Was going to finally begin the hedgerow scenario but then I saw you came out with the "final" version.

Question: Is this save compatible? No big deal, I'd like to complete the campaign regardless, but if I install the latest version will it screw up the remaining scenarios? If so, I'll just continue with the current version.

Thanks and sorry for the delay. Your efforts on this campaign are much appreciated.
Old November 25th, 2012, 08:18 AM

First Lieutenant

Frankly, I'm not sure, I never tried it. What kind of changes would make it incompatible?
Old November 25th, 2012, 11:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts4EVER View Post
Frankly, I'm not sure, I never tried it. What kind of changes would make it incompatible?
Heck, I dunno. I'll just install it and see what happens!
Old November 26th, 2012, 07:51 AM

First Lieutenant

Maybe make a security backup before.
Old November 28th, 2012, 11:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hi Ts4EVER. Just finished the first bocage scenario (campaign battle #5) with no problems getting to the next.

Got a marginal again--about 3,050 to 950. Captured all the VH's but lost six Shermans in the process. Still, even without losing even one there wouldn't have been enough for a decisive (8:1 ratio, I presume). Seems like I was also a bit careless with the groundpounders. I need to balance
my focus on mission accomplishment with more consideration for casualties--with only one(!) fix point some of my core guys won't be around for the next battle.

Truly a marvelous challenge. Your devilishly clever placement of AT guns once again caught me napping. Didn't expect a 7.5cm Pak40 to be placed out of the way (but on high terrain)in that dead zone in the south center (hex 43,48). It got two kills from distant side shots, one tank to the north and a second to the southeast part of the map, before I finally figured out what was going on. Serves me right for being too lazy about scouting the map for likely locations!

It's too bad Spww2 engineers can't blow holes in hedgerows, but you found a good solution with obstacle hexes. One little quibble: Some hexes that looked like hedgerows were in fact clear terrain, but since it helped save time I shouldn't be complaining, eh?

Definitely had a good time. As a former Spwaw devotee it's taking awhile to get used to a different (but more realistic IMHO) system, and scenarios like this make the learning process an enjoyable experience. Hope the next one's just as fun.

Thanks again for taking the time to make this campaign available. Have a great day.
Old November 29th, 2012, 03:38 AM

First Lieutenant

Thanks!
Yeah I don't know how the problem with the hedgerows happens. Just assume your guys found an unexpected opening.