.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

HoleyDooley is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tarrax3 - Newbie/Intermediate LA 12 Players (running)

Just a question to those of you who remain and maybe with more experience than me.

Given that this is a no diplomacy game, and if I should in the not too distant future cast Utterdark....will it basically end the game?

It appears to me that this is a fairly nasty (almost game winning) spell and given enough boost, too strong to be dispelled by a single player.

Given that pooling gems for a dispel is out of the question by the nature of the diplomacy in this game, is it fair that I should be able to cast it?

My thoughts are...no its not.

There seem to be some great struggles going on and if the consensus is that it should not be cast that's fine with me, as there are other useful global I can use.

I am more interested in seeing this game continue on rather than winning it by what appears to be a "loophole" in our game setup for my nation.

Maybe I am over rating this spell.....Your thoughts?
Old January 31st, 2013, 04:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

Tiavals is on a distinguished road

While I may not be more experienced than you, here's my thoughts:

Ermor was allowed in the roster despite the suggestion that it's too powerful in a non-diplo game.

It's easier to dispel spells than cast them. (You can turn gems to astral pearls much easier than to other gems[except if the enemy is cunning and casts it weak at first so someone will use all their gems for a dispel, then cast it strong afterwards, but with a high base cost, not necessarily viable])

Based on these two things, I'd say there's nothing wrong with casting Utterdark. Then again, I'm not totally sure what it does as I've never been in a game where it has been cast. Some weak shades attack everywhere, income plummets, darkness in every combat? Sure, it's annoying, but it's a level 9 spell that requires plenty of death magic and gems. If you've been hoarding gems for the entire game waiting to cast it, then you've crippled your game up until now. If you haven't, do you really have enough death gems so that it won't be dispelled? I suppose you have had Well of Misery going on for dozens of turns.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts, I'm sure others will have their owns to add.
Old January 31st, 2013, 05:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

Hi Tiv,

It does more that that. here is the description.

Description:
The world is covered by a blanket of utter darkness. All living beings must use torches to see even a few feet in front of themselves. Undead and blind beings are unaffected by the darkness. All provinces have their income and resources reduced by 90 percent. During the perpetual night, forces of darkness and roaming shades will attack enemy provinces. The spell lasts until someone dispels it or the caster dies.
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:01 PM

Corporal

Tarrax is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I just saw this. Personally, I think anything is fair game. If a spell is in the game, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to cast it. Even though there is no diplomacy, the fact that you'll cast a spell that will seriously affect all the world negatively will probably mean that all the players will gang up on you.

Do you like surfing game forums but wish people would stop using obscure abbreviations and gaming acronyms?
Then my Firefox/Chrome extension ABBREX is for you!
It automatically adds hover tooltips to abbreviations displaying their meanings on any web page you visit!

Check it out at: http://abbrex.com
Read about it in my post here
Old February 7th, 2013, 03:46 AM

Corporal

Gargouille is on a distinguished road

If you cast this spell, you hit hard all prentender, for you it's a good idea (and this is the game, you are right). I'm not old player, and me never play with dead ou blood magic, it's the first time i see this "big" spell. I think, i cant win this game, but i'm happy, i stay with the last players. I believe Marignon or Ermor is the best, Ctis and me less strength. I seek how make with 10% of my income, i count my free fighters (upkeep=0), how cast "solar brillance" in all fight, ....
Old February 21st, 2013, 11:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

What's the policy for blocking armies with diseased commanders with 2 hp left?
Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:13 PM

Corporal

Tarrax is on a distinguished road

Well, as far as I know constantly blocking big armies with a single scout etc. is frowned upon in the community. So I'd say don't do it unless that single unit is a SC/thug.

Do you like surfing game forums but wish people would stop using obscure abbreviations and gaming acronyms?
Then my Firefox/Chrome extension ABBREX is for you!
It automatically adds hover tooltips to abbreviations displaying their meanings on any web page you visit!

Check it out at: http://abbrex.com
Read about it in my post here
Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:15 AM

Second Lieutenant

Just checking, as my esteemed opponent just did that to prevent my army from reaching his castle. So if you're reading, bad you, don't do it in the future.
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:13 PM

Corporal

Gargouille is on a distinguished road

If Ermor and Ctis leave Marignon in peace, Marignon win the game. I can hurt him, i can resist a bit against his angels, but if Ctis and Ermor leave Marignon break my kingdom in peace, after he will be the master of this world.
Old February 25th, 2013, 10:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hi Garg,

Just FYI, this is a no diplomacy game, thus your comments above are against the rules/spirit of the game.....I know you are fairly new to dominions though.

As for me fighting Marigon, I don't share a border with him......one of the problems of using a non wrap map.