.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old August 21st, 2006, 01:05 PM

Private

VDS is on a distinguished road
Default Operation Dragon Rouge Scenario

Since this is my first post on this forum, Greetings to all!

I've been playing SP in one version or another for over a decade. My thanks to all of you who make and maintain SPMBT, you honestly can't be thanked enough for the job ya do.

I have recently been working on a scenario covering the Dragon Ops that took place in the Congo in the early 1960s. I have playtested this myself till I am blue in the face and I think its okay... But any help from anyone willing to give it a try and give me honest input would be most welcome.

The scenario portrays the Belgian para assault/hostage rescue in Stanleyville, November 1963. No tanks, just infantry and jeeps. It plays on a small map and lasts 19 turns or less.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 439596-Dragon_Rouge_v2.1.zip (57.9 KB, 326 views)
Old August 24th, 2006, 02:22 PM

Private

Default Re: Operation Dragon Rouge Scenario

Yikes, that bad, huh?
BTW, the correct date is November 1964. Ya think I would remember that, after the hours of research I put in to making this thing.
Like I said before, I've played SPMBT for a long time, but never claimed to be any good at it. :-)
Honestly, if the scenario is that bad please, someone just tell me. Any pointers as to what is wrong would also be welcome. If anyone wants to redesign it or touch it up, lemme know. I have another map of Stanleyville (larger).
I think it could be a great SPMBT scenario, its historical and pretty unique, as far as I know.
Taking an historical event and translating it into an enjoyable scenario is bloody hard. Do any experienced designers out there have opinions on History/Reality vs Playability?Obviously, playability is paramount, but how far do you go balancing the two?
Old August 24th, 2006, 03:48 PM

Sergeant

junk2drive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
VDS said:

No tanks, just infantry and jeeps. It plays on a small map and lasts 19 turns or less.
Could be people like tanks and jeeps and stuff in their battles.

Welcome to the forums.

A very good scenario designer for the Combat Mission games made a battle on this subject for CMAK. It didn't play very well for me. Very hard to balance these types of forces.

My rule of thumb for making and sharing scenarios and mods, I make things for myself first, then share with others if I feel like it. If others don't like it, that's ok too.
Old August 24th, 2006, 04:41 PM

Private

Thanx for the welcome junk2drive.

Quote:
junk2drive said:
Could be people like tanks and jeeps and stuff in their battles.
I agree, but hopefully there are some players who like infantry heavy scenarios, like I do.

Quote:
junk2drive said:
My rule of thumb for making and sharing scenarios and mods, I make things for myself first, then share with others if I feel like it. If others don't like it, that's ok too.
Solid advice. I was just hoping to get some feedback (good or bad) on what I thought might be an interesting scenario. Its the first time I have shared a design with others, and naturally I'm curious to see what they think.
Old August 24th, 2006, 07:08 PM

Sergeant

I gave it a look.

Briefing is good but a bit wordy. Only saw one typo. noontine
What is the line in the water where the ferry docks are?
I didn't get it that the immobile planes were para droppers. I didn't plot them. I'll try this again when I get some time.
Old August 24th, 2006, 09:15 PM

Private

Thanx for checking it out, junk2drive.

Yeah, the briefing is long, I was kind of worried about that. I'll fix the typo and see if I can shorten it somewhat.

I used the "line" in the River to help give me some scale when I was designing the map. I left it in to show the ferry route, but it really serves no purpose in the game.

The planes are not for dropping but for simulating the airlanding. The scenario actually starts after the airfield is secured by the initial drop. The main focus of the scenario is the advance into Stanleyville by the 11th, 13th, and 12th companies of the Regiment. I wanted the planes to "land", "park", and then drop off the jeeps and trikes to assist in the advance. So they arrive as reinforcements and a turn or two later, the "unloaded" jeeps and trikes arrive as reinforcements right next to them. The only way I could get the planes to appear on the map as a reinforcement was to immobilise them.
Old August 24th, 2006, 11:03 PM

Sergeant

After my moves in turn one I checked the bombard screen and found one para drop. I picked a LZ and it showed 7.4 turns. I didn't bother to check again for a few turns and found two more on the list.
Maybe I'm just not experienced with the game. I played a lot of SPWAW a few years ago and just got back into MBT and WW2.
Old August 25th, 2006, 02:27 AM

Sergeant

desh44 is on a distinguished road

Hi I'm the scenarios designer of this one....This is the first feedback I have seen on it. I would appreciate if you could send me your comments and ideas to my email at desh44@hotmail.com. I am fairly new to scenario design so any comments and suggestions would be a great help.

Thanks
Tom
Old August 25th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Private

Quote:
junk2drive said:
After my moves in turn one I checked the bombard screen and found one para drop. I picked a LZ and it showed 7.4 turns. I didn't bother to check again for a few turns and found two more on the list.
Maybe I'm just not experienced with the game. I played a lot of SPWAW a few years ago and just got back into MBT and WW2.
Again, the PLANES are not for paradropping! You can plot an airdrop in the Entebbe scenario too, but it won't do you much good.
I probably should have done a better job explaining the scenario in my briefing. Anyway, thanks for trying. And theres no need to let me down softly, I sure you're a much better player than I am.
Cheers.
Old August 25th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Sergeant

I should be in the habit of checking the bombard screen at the end of every turn. I was rushing through a few turns of your scen just to give you an impression of how it plays.

I'll give it a better go when RL gives me a chance.

Thanks for sharing, VDS or desh44 or who? lol