.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 12th, 2007, 03:07 PM

Colonel

Velusion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Repeat request.

Gandalf - please don't edit people's posts to insert your own commentary. A seperate post would do the trick and be less confusing.
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Ouch I didnt mean to do that. Im very sorry. The two buttons are too close to each other. I will try to fix it back as much as I can. Thanks for pointing it out to me.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:46 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
calmon said:
I've some problems to understand why people discuss about a save/load function in prior of a better single player AI.
Wyehl said:
Improving the AI is a difficult, intricate and open ended goal with no clear finish line. Adding a save feature is a very attainable goal that can be achieved before moving on to larger changes.

Wow thats not true at all. Tweaking the AI code is fairly simple since its already in the game and there is only one code to tweak.

Adding save/restore is a headache. It has to work on all 3 operating systems which do things very diferently. It needs to be safe so it wont accidently hurt the persons machine in some way. It will need to offer some sort of cleanup of old files which is always dangerous. And it probably should recognize the difference between a local game or a server game so that the person doesnt get unreasonable expectations.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Private

Wyehl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
calmon said:
I've some problems to understand why people discuss about a save/load function in prior of a better single player AI.
Wyehl said:
Improving the AI is a difficult, intricate and open ended goal with no clear finish line. Adding a save feature is a very attainable goal that can be achieved before moving on to larger changes.

Wow thats not true at all. Tweaking the AI code is fairly simple since its already in the game and there is only one code to tweak.

Adding save/restore is a headache. It has to work on all 3 operating systems which do things very diferently. It needs to be safe so it wont accidently hurt the persons machine in some way. It will need to offer some sort of cleanup of old files which is always dangerous. And it probably should recognize the difference between a local game or a server game so that the person doesnt get unreasonable expectations.
Lol, what isn't true ? You go on to say that it is very difficult (which is humorous to a programmer but then, that wasn't really the point anyway . Yet the point was that 'improving an AI' is an open ended process that can be worked on ad infinitum while making a save game system is a very attainable goal.
Old January 12th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Wyehl said:
Lol, what isn't true ? You go on to say that it is very difficult (which is humorous to a programmer but then, that wasn't really the point anyway . Yet the point was that 'improving an AI' is an open ended process that can be worked on ad infinitum while making a save game system is a very attainable goal.
I didnt say it was difficult, just that its a headache. And yes Im aware of the programming side. Setting up file managment inside a program to work for windows, mac, and linux is not simple and quick. I see enough headaches with this programs file handling already on its installs and game cleanup just between linux and windows.

You are correct that tweaking the AI can be a forever project but the code is already there and is OS generic.
Old January 12th, 2007, 06:35 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

I wonder if anyone will mod in a downloadable save-game feature already so that this thread will ever end?

I'm getting a headache, ow.
Old January 12th, 2007, 07:09 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I thought it was already done?
Dom2 had many different versions. Batch, script, javascript, vpscript, and perl if I remember right. I think that even Dom1 had some.

Edited:
found a couple of old threads.
old thread
Older Thread
Old January 12th, 2007, 07:29 PM

Colonel

Velusion is on a distinguished road

So let me get this strait:

1) It's really easy to back up files. You could create a simple batch file to do it and it would be easy to whip up a mod that would do it as well.

2) It's too complex for the designers to patch it into the game.

????? That line of reasoning doesn't make much sense.
Old January 12th, 2007, 07:36 PM

Corporal

Actuarian is on a distinguished road

I'm for a save game feature, although I doubt I would use it. I think it would make the game less intimidating for newcomers, and more friendly to casual single-player gamers.

On the other hand a save game feature might mean that there would no longer be any all-caps posts to enjoy.

I'm definately for the "Are you sure you want to end your turn?" feature. From experience I have learned that there's not much space between some of those hot-keys.
Old January 12th, 2007, 07:39 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:

So let me get this strait:
1) It's really easy to back up files. You could create a simple batch file to do it and it would be easy to whip up a mod that would do it as well.
2) It's too complex for the designers to patch it into the game.
????? That line of reasoning doesn't make much sense.

Because my answer for my windows machine wont work for linux, windows, mac, or even many different versions of windows.

Here is one for you:
open the dom3 directory
click into the savedgames directory
hit Ctrl-A
then hit Ctrl-C
then hit Ctrl-V
Vuala! Backups of all of your saved games!
(disclaimer: works in WinXp. Dont know about others)

Its not what I use but it might be good for others.