.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 9th, 2009, 06:47 AM

First Lieutenant

Agema is on a distinguished road
Default Mod idea

I've been reading the "Codex Alera" series by Jim Butcher (more famous for his Harry Dresden stuff) and it occurred to me that at least two of the races there have plenty that would fit into Dom3 and could be converted by a modder. I have no skills in modding, so I thought I'd throw the idea out to others if someone wants to play with it. To get a better idea, pick up a book or two.

The Alerans are humans with inbuilt elemental powers, where those elements are Wood (great archers, camouflage = prec. boost, stealthy), Earth (strength and toughness = +HP/+Str), Fire (fling fire bolts), Water (inc. empathy and healing), Air (flight), Steel (great sword skills = +Att & Def). It's kind of Roman based with a hint of medieval.

The basic setup are some sort of local citizen militia types with very weak powers who should probably be left as is. Most of the army are legionaries, they have fairly weak elemental skills, probably worth minor buff to HP, Str, Att & Def. Then there are knights with great powers in one particular element (except water), who should get the bonuses listed above and probably be cap-only.

The higher up the nobility you get, the more powerful they become, I'd suggest that translates into stat increases by element as per the knights, and magic paths in AEFNW (with females better at air but lower Att/Def for steel). Maybe low nobility get Ldr 40 and just stat boosts. Mid nobility stat boosts and 100% AEFNW. High Lords get maybe A1E1F1N1W1 with a random or two, High Lady same but lower Earth/Steel style stat buffs and lean more towards a water pick. The there would be cursors (Spies), generic scouts. I haven't worked out how to fit bless into it all.

The second race are less well defined in the book, the canim, which are big humanoid dogs, stats similar to the skinshifter wolf form (minus regen) would probably do. Basic militia could come with a variety of rubbish peasant-style weapons and weak morale. Some could have javelins; and they trained troops with good armour and some with bows (powerful ones, maybe like Hinnom/Ashdod's). They would definitely be a blood magic based race, and much easier to work a bless in somewhere.
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:31 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mod idea

No one starts with any skills in modding Agema. But it is very easy to learn, you should give it a try!

More seriously, I'm pretty sure everyone who has learnt to do some modding has more ideas than they have time. Ideas are not in short supply really. But I definitely recommend giving modding a go, it is a lot of fun.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:02 PM

Corporal

Scarlioni is on a distinguished road

Giant dogs?

I remember a medievil arab beastiary that had the isle of man populated by dog heaeded humans.
Old April 11th, 2009, 06:02 PM

First Lieutenant

Agema is on a distinguished road

I used to do modding - did plenty for Europa Universalis II. It's time I don't really have anymore.